Came darn close to hitting a deer tonight:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a trick that I use, that on the outset appears to have worked for the last six deer incidents I've had: use your horn...every time that I have honked my horn a couple times the deer either freeze or bound off the opposite direction from you. No doubt it is not fool-proof 100 percent of the time but it does appear to work well. Use your horn in a known deer crossing zone that you may be aware of to alert them of oncoming traffic. It's so simple in that deer do not like loud noises and will avoid getting closer to its source. Give it a shot and let me know how it works for you.

Well, some deer get used to loud noises...the buck I shot (above) was well within earshot of a "cat" mowing/clearing brush and believe me, it was LOUD!

Since we've moved to the sticks, my wife and I have hit a total of three in five years. Luckily not as major as some others I know..

The bad part is that it doesn't have to be you that hits the deer but you can still be injured. We had a local incident a couple years ago where a woman was killed when a deer came through her windshield after being hit by a car travelling the opposite direction.

Same freak accident happened again recently but no one was injured this time.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

My whole family is Jewish. If I drive my GTI and my aunt shows up, I'll get lectured.

????

Some Jewish people will not buy German branded goods, in particular cars, due to the Holocaust/Germany's past persecution of Jews. Basically all of the German automakers built things for the Nazis.

While it is somewhat off topic (nothing to do with hitting or avoiding hitting a deer); regarding this side line issue:

Ford had a plant in Germany during WWII. The Ford plants in the United States made bombers for the Unite States during WWII, and the Ford plant in Germany made what ever the Germans wanted them to make. Ford knew that they wanted to go back to making Ford cars in Germany after WWII, so Ford told the President of the United States that if the Ford plant in Germany was ever bombed, Ford would stop building bombers here in the United States. So ALL the bombers that might be within range of the Ford Germany plant were told that they were not allowed to bomb that plant. There was one incident of one lone bomber who had a new crew, and was not informed. One day they ended up by the Ford Germany plant and realized that it was a big German plant so they went towards it. The anti-aircraft guns were numerous and well placed, and from what I was told by a WWII bomber pilot, that crew decided not to bomb that factory.

So maybe among other vehicle manufacturers, anyone wishing to boycott German auto makers that were in existence during WWII, should also consider boycotting Ford.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

My whole family is Jewish. If I drive my GTI and my aunt shows up, I'll get lectured.

????

Some Jewish people will not buy German branded goods, in particular cars, due to the Holocaust/Germany's past persecution of Jews. Basically all of the German automakers built things for the Nazis.

While it is somewhat off topic (nothing to do with hitting or avoiding hitting a deer); regarding this side line issue:

Ford had a plant in Germany during WWII. The Ford plants in the United States made bombers for the Unite States during WWII, and the Ford plant in Germany made what ever the Germans wanted them to make. Ford knew that they wanted to go back to making Ford cars in Germany after WWII, so Ford told the President of the United States that if the Ford plant in Germany was ever bombed, Ford would stop building bombers here in the United States. So ALL the bombers that might be within range of the Ford Germany plant were told that they were not allowed to bomb that plant. There was one incident of one lone bomber who had a new crew, and was not informed. One day they ended up by the Ford Germany plant and realized that it was a big German plant so they went towards it. The anti-aircraft guns were numerous and well placed, and from what I was told by a WWII bomber pilot, that crew decided not to bomb that factory.

So maybe among other vehicle manufacturers, anyone wishing to boycott German auto makers that were in existence during WWII, should also consider boycotting Ford.

I wasn't speaking for myself, just some people I know. That said, some of the Jewish people I know who won't buy German cars will and do buy Fords and Japanese cars, despite Japan having been a German ally.

Henry Ford was also quite the anti-Semitic, going as far as publishing an anti-Jewish newspaper. He also wanted "peace" with Nazi Germany. None of that has anything to do with why I buy Fords.

That is an interesting bit of history though. I wonder if that is the plant where my Explorer's 4.0 was built (Cologne).

Originally Posted By: Canawler
The bad part is that it doesn't have to be you that hits the deer but you can still be injured. We had a local incident a couple years ago where a woman was killed when a deer came through her windshield after being hit by a car travelling the opposite direction.

Same freak accident happened again recently but no one was injured this time.

It will be interesting to see if autonomous vehicles avoid accidents with deer. Currently there exists low power multi-frequency radars that are safe to be around (developed mostly for boats) that use less power than a cell phone. Compared to previous units that can put out enough power (such as around 100 to 1,000 Watts, or more) to actually be dangerous to be around. And the existing low power multi-frequency radar systems give good imaging of what is going on at close and medium ranges. So low power multi-frequency radar and also information from other autonomous vehicles, may mean that such things like deer moving in a direction to be a problem, or already located so as to be a problem, get recognized and avoided before any accident, when ALL moving vehicles on public roads are autonomous.

Radar can sometimes see what is going on ahead even when a line of sight is not available. And even if a hill ahead blocks a vehicles radar, links to radar on other vehicles can still provide real time information on what is going on in any blind spot vehicles with a blocked area might require information about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just the other day the local news had a report about progress being made localy here at CMU. Towards the end of the report the reporter said that the first autonomous vehicles not requiring any driver input during moving may be available to the general public by 2017.

If the extra cost of an autonomous vehicle is less than the difference in the cost of insuring a teen driver (assuming a teen driver of an autonomous vehicle will get a huge insurance discount if the vehicle is ALWAYS autonomous when on public roads, if insurance is even required for these vehicles) then beginner drivers may be some of the first to adopt these vehicles.

It could be interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back