Took out Bambi

Smacked a deer on my way into work this morning. Small country road, was probably doing 50-55 when I hit it. Popped up out of embankment on side of the road like Houdini, giving me about a second of reaction time. Looked like a small doe.

Turned around and went home to get a different car. Driving back through we (had a friend with me) didn't see the deer anywhere so continued onto work. On the way back home we spent more time looking for it since it was daylight, nowhere to be found. Very surprising because I was pretty sure I struck it square in the head.

I need to pull the bumper cover and fender to see what damage is lurking underneath. A real bummer, I just replaced both headlights and got rid of collision and comp on my last insurance renewal.

IMG_6630.jpeg

IMG_6631.jpeg

IMG_6632.jpeg

IMG_6633.jpeg

IMG_6627.jpeg

You couldn't find it because someone is probably eating it for dinner tonight. I can't imagine that hit didn't kill it.
I'm glad somebody is, because if my co-worker and I had found it in the dark when it happened, it'd been on my roof rack headed to the house. Last couple hunting seasons I've been getting decent at butchering my own deer.

Last edited:
Dead as a door nail.
The deer or the car? I'd prefer the former, even if someone else got it for dinner.

That sucks, but should be an easy fix.
There's something worse hiding under under the fender but it won't stop raining and I want to pressure wash all the deer bits off before I pull it in the shop. I have a feeling whatever the fender attaches to at the top and front corner is going to be a mess. The passenger door won't open, but fortunately the door survived unscathed. The fender has had a lot of movement and took whatever it's attached to with it, but I don't think it affected the pillar the door attaches to.

I can see all the major structural components; they look untouched at a glance, even the front bumper. (The actual bumper; the cover has very minor damage).

Once the weather lets up, I'll start removing things and get a better look. Where I live, the Kentucky Derby and associated gatherings have my weekend booked. I might get to it on Sunday weather permitting, I'll post updates.

Ha ha. I opened the garage door returning from work and the Tacoma was in the garage with deer blood on the tailgate. My wife never knew a deer had sideswiped her in the right rear quarter panel. That’s about a deer a year lately with that truck.

The deer or the car? I'd prefer the former, even if someone else got it for dinner.

There's something worse hiding under under the fender but it won't stop raining and I want to pressure wash all the deer bits off before I pull it in the shop. I have a feeling whatever the fender attaches to at the top and front corner is going to be a mess. The passenger door won't open, but fortunately the door survived unscathed. The fender has had a lot of movement and took whatever it's attached to with it, but I don't think it affected the pillar the door attaches to.

I can see all the major structural components; they look untouched at a glance, even the front bumper. (The actual bumper; the cover has very minor damage).

Once the weather lets up, I'll start removing things and get a better look. Where I live, the Kentucky Derby and associated gatherings have my weekend booked. I might get to it on Sunday weather permitting, I'll post updates.
Looks like my Buick wreck. Got all the parts at pull a part.

Wife got her first deer two weeks ago about 6:30am taking out the Rt. Front headlamp/fascia & fender. Durango goes in for repair in about two weeks. I used a really long zip tie to hold the headlamp in place as well. Lights all worked at least but misaligned.

Deer.

Started removing parts, doesn't look as bad as I was fearing; the fender took the brunt of the damage. I had to open that stuck passenger door to remove the fender, that was a head scratcher. A swift kick dead center of the fender popped it right back into place allowing the door to open.

All fender attachment points are unscathed except the area underneath the headlights. That's going to require some bending of sheet metal to get it back into shape. Any suggestions on how to do this? Busted a mount for an EVAP solenoid, pushed the horns backward, few other minor things that are easy fixes. Dent in the hood that will be largely covered up once I get a new bug deflector. All in all it could have been a lot worse, and I can't help but wonder how my other vehicles would have fared.

I think I can get it put back together for around $500. Probably wasn't worth messing with insurance anyway, even if I had comprehensive still. Anyone have any ideas what it cost to paint a fender at a body shop? Color is Chrysler (2007) Brilliant Black Pearl. Or is this a possible DIY task? I have a good size shop and paint sprayer.

Headlamp assembly (that I just replaced) = $150
Fender = $120
Bug Deflector = $60
Fender paint = ???? (guessing $200?)

IMG_6636.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

IMG_6638.jpg

IMG_6639.jpg

IMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6641.jpg

Found the deer finally. In these parts you don't have to call them in unless the roadway is blocked by vehicle or deer, or injuries are involved. No earthly idea how it only hit the corner of my car but nailed the abdomen of the deer. I thought I struck it in the head while it was jumping over the embankment onto the road.

IMG_6647.jpeg

IMG_6646.jpeg

Back