Bypass Filter Channeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been accused of not responding to claims from other filter companies that toilet paper has a channeling problem. Channeling in toilet paper filters is caused by loose wound T.P. or forcing an oversized roll into the housing causing wrinkles for the oil to follow.
Of course I don't have problems because I use only high quality TP and I don't force oversized rolls. The critical seal in the Frantz, Motor Guard and Gulf Coast TP filters is at the bottom. As long as you keep a good seal around the core and the outer edge of the TP at the bottom it doesn't matter if some of the oil doesn't travel the complete distance of the 4" from top to bottom.
The Motor Guard has the advantage for fuel or compressed air because it is a first pass filter. For Motor oil and ATF your engine doesn't care which of the submicronic bypass filters you use. I would take anything a salesman for a non submicronic filter has to say with a grain of salt. If a roll of Scott Kimberly Clark TP doesn't cost enough you can get a special Motor Guard compressed air element. Remove the 1 1/2 ID polyethylene core and install a 1 5/8 ID TP core www.mcmaster.com 9841K93 the filter is 9841K92. They are not set up for lube oil and fuel. My Motor Guard filters are set up for lube oil and fuel with delrin parts CNC machined to take the special MG element or TP To me shopping for the best TP is part of the fun.
If you end up with an inferior filter because of a good sales pitch it's not my fault.
When I signed up as a Motor Guard dealer in 1966 it was simpler. If you wanted clean oil you bought a Frantz or Motor Guard. There were a few others but they were pretty much unknown or for only large diesel engines. There is more interest in clean oil now which is bringing others in. Some are junk. Some use elements that cost more than an oil change.
Do your research.

Ralph
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Nice post! I was thinking about an Amsoil bypass because they are available here in Oz but now I'm not so sure. Does MG have a distributor here?
Tks...s

What do you mean your not so sure?? What questions do you have regarding the Amsoil system??

Filter channelling Amsoil doesn't have a problem with that. Chcek out the photo. Amsoil uses a 90 lb spring to keep the media tight which allows control of the flow at all times,
If the stupid photo doesn't come up you can go to this link and click on it. Yahoo is funny sometimes.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/saxnflute/lst?.dir=/Amsoil&.view=t
 -

[ December 10, 2002, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

quote:

Originally posted by RalphPWood:
Channeling in toilet paper filters is caused by loose wound T.P. or forcing an oversized roll into the housing causing wrinkles for the oil to follow.
Of course I don't have problems because I use only high quality TP and I don't force oversized rolls.
Ralph
burnout.gif

Hey ralph don't you think that this would give alot of leaway to operator error. I know that you don't use oversized rolls, but how many end users would you guess not to be as knowledgeable or cautious as yourself?

Just a thought.

Ralph, how often does one have to change the filter in a TP system? Obviously, all situations are unique, but can you give a ballpark figure? How often do you change your filter?

Sprintman,
Amsoil doesn't make junk. Everything they sell is high quality including their lube oil filters. There are filter companies that talk a good talk but they can't filter as good as Amsoil. The only reason a toilet paper filter user will get longer engine life is because he will change his filter more often. Not to pick on Amsoil but filter makers with expensive refill elements will recommend unrealistic change intervals. If you want to keep the wear rate as near zero as possible you have to figure the more effective the filter and the smaller the filter the more often it will need to be changed. To some filter customers normal engine wear is not acceptable. They don't want routine oil changes or normal engine wear.
As a rule of thumb I will change the TP every 2,000 miles on a V8, 3,000 miles on a 6 and 4,000 on a 4. If my oil looks like it just came out of the bottle and it feels like the viscosity is like new I'm happy. If the oil doesn't look right or feel right I change the filter more often or find out if I have something wrong like a leaky head gasket.
Here in Dallas, TX we don't have condensation problems. We have oxidation problems. We need extra oil coolers. I put 240,000 on a Subaru using Mobil 1 15-50 and changing the TP about one time a year or about 12,000 miles. I had to change the oil about every 60,000 miles. If I had changed the filter every 4,000 miles I wouldn't have needed to drain it. It all comes down to the judgemenet of the equipment owners.
Motor Guard is the best small bypass filter ever made. The company found a good market for beefing up the lube oil filters and selling them as compressed air filters. They abandoned the lube oil filters in the seventies. I am a non profit dealer so I can afford to have lube oil and fuel compatable Dupont delrin parts CNC machined to bring them back as a lube oil filter.
The filters have always been die cast aluminum the lube oil filters didn't have the epoxy coating. The founder of the company was a lube oil and fuel filter man. I think when he passed away the compressed air people took over.
The filters are not idiot resistant. You have to find a firm roll of TP and roll enough off so that the element fits snug in the bottom half of the filter. The tee handle compresses the TP and seals it at both ends. The lube oil filters had 1/8" ports the compressed air filters have 1/4" ports. I add an orifice. I'm selling a lot more than they thought I would. Some to big name companies. If I can get them back into lube oil filters I will retire. They have a good dealer network. You might check Gulf Coast 0-1 jrs at www.gulfcoastfilters.com They have dealers down under. I can ship you a Motor Guard M-30 submicronic bypass filter.
As far as marketing tools I have none except for a 30 year old "Dune Buggies and Hot VW's Report" and a 30 year old "Camper Coachman Report". I make do with what I have.
I brought the Motor Guard back to use with a PermaCool sandwich adapter. Then I set one up for ATF and fuel. It got out of hand. I was one of the origional dealers in 1966. Now here we go again. I hope I answered everyone. I have a few in Canada but none in Australia yet. If anyone wants 30 year old info let me know.
I just got a couple of emails from people with Mercedes 300 diesel engines. I put them in touch with my Mercedes customer in Canada. One guy says his oil pressure is 3 bars. I had to dig out my book to find out what a bar is. I don't hear bars much.
I sold a filter to a guy with a Range Rover with a Buick engine.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back