Motor Guard filters

Hi all! Recently purchased a 1971 F100 with a souped-up straight 6 300. Been sitting for over 20 years so slowly bring it back. I open the hood and lo and behold there are two filters bolted to inner fender well that I had never seen before. Upon further research it looks like there are motor guard bypass filters. A pair of them.

They are unhooked. Opened one up and pulled out what looked like an ancient roll of toilet paper.

Don't know anything about these at all or what the best application is for them or if they even have a use at this point. All new to me. Just curious for some information.

Thanks
20231105_085847.jpg

Attachments

• 20231105_085847.jpg
    20231105_085847.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 4
Bypass filters are for additional filtering so this guy would've definitely fit in on here. Not needed anymore as filters are leaps and bounds better now. I'd discontinue them. The media is likely highly compacted fine cloth.

Don't lose the internal parts, they are the secret to proper sealing of the "filter" roll (TP)

I still use a Motorguard on one of my Diesel Gensets. Works well for my application, as the engine has no filter and no way to plumb in a filter. But taking a little of the oil flow, into the filter, and out through a small orifice that flows oil on to a dry cam lobe, is helpful.

Lp6AC1y.jpg

Don't lose the internal parts, they are the secret to proper sealing of the "filter" roll (TP)

I still use a Motorguard on one of my Diesel Gensets. Works well for my application, as the engine has no filter and no way to plumb in a filter. But taking a little of the oil flow, into the filter, and out through a small orifice that flows oil on to a dry cam lobe, is helpful.

Lp6AC1y.jpg
Is that a Ralph Woods converted M30 or your own?

Hi all! Recently purchased a 1971 F100 with a souped-up straight 6 300. Been sitting for over 20 years so slowly bring it back. I open the hood and lo and behold there are two filters bolted to inner fender well that I had never seen before. Upon further research it looks like there are motor guard bypass filters. A pair of them.

They are unhooked. Opened one up and pulled out what looked like an ancient roll of toilet paper.

Don't know anything about these at all or what the best application is for them or if they even have a use at this point. All new to me. Just curious for some information.

Thanks View attachment 188557
It looks like the two M-100's are hooked together in tandem? I can't seem to figure out where the hoses are going, or is one the atf filter? If you are going to use these you will need 4 1/2" wide (height when installed) toilet paper, The M-100 is a compression type filter and will compress the 4 1/2" toilet paper down a quarter of an inch to 4 1/4" when the lid is tightened. Kirkland is easy enough to find.

Last edited:
Back