Buy American........Junk

Status
Not open for further replies.
At one company I worked for here(which I won't name), it was common practice to ship the product on time, even if it didn't pass all--or any--of the testing phases. These things sold for anywhere between $150k and $850K. If they couldn't be made to work before we shipped, we shipped anyway and sent a field service guy to the customer to get it working when it arrived.

Quote:
These things sold for anywhere between $150k and $850K.

Quote:
and sent a field service guy

I'm thinking some kind of heavy equipment . . .

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
...Hey TN Tracker, I'm not picking on the south!...

10-4, no worries. I just thought the thread was funny. One part talking about poor quality from the south. Another part talking about excellent quality from the south.
LOL.gif
I used to work for Siemens so I've seen the good and the bad from all over the world.

My Nissan that was built in Smyrna, Tennessee was a very reliable car, and very well-built. They must've been doing something right there.
55.gif

Quote:
I used to work for Siemens so I've seen the good and the bad from all over the world.

I've got a Siemens 4100 cable modem. At one time late at night, I caught the Siemens doing some unspeakable things to the VCR.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Quote:
I'm betting this is a test of the waters to see how well foreign made is accepted before actual "Made In China" Snap-on appears.

If that ever happens than please strap me to an ICBM headed for Beijing!

I'll be the world's first nuclear suicide bomber!
mad.gif

You're too late. You'd be the 2nd nuclear suicide bomber.
pic4.jpg

Originally Posted By: jmacmaster
The idea that the reason that most of what we buy is junk is because the American consumer wants low prices and is willing to trade a low price for poor quality is nonsense.

Agreed - time to kill this strawman.

Originally Posted By: jmacmaster

This has ALL changed, for one reason and only one reason. Most American companies today care only about the profit margin. They don't care about product quality, their workers, their retirees, or the consumer. Profit is everything and the only thing.

Agreed Part II. We do have the power to change this, by not buying their products. BUT, it does take awhile to awaken consumers because often the quality changes are slow and subtle.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
If they couldn't be made to work before we shipped, we shipped anyway and sent a field service guy to the customer to get it working when it arrived.

I guess I'm donning the Captain Obvious Superhero attire by saying that's a short-term biz stratetgy. Probably to maintain contractural obligations or to ensure internal delivery goals (and thus bonus) are met.
spankme2.gif
21.gif

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: MarkC
If they couldn't be made to work before we shipped, we shipped anyway and sent a field service guy to the customer to get it working when it arrived.

I guess I'm donning the Captain Obvious Superhero attire by saying that's a short-term biz stratetgy. Probably to maintain contractural obligations or to ensure internal delivery goals (and thus bonus) are met.
spankme2.gif
21.gif

Hopefully that does not happen very often. Otherwise, one wonders how long they can stay in business.

.... Probably to maintain contractural obligations or to ensure internal delivery goals (and thus bonus) are met.
spankme2.gif
21.gif

Management gets what they reward.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
.... Probably to maintain contractural obligations or to ensure internal delivery goals (and thus bonus) are met.
spankme2.gif
21.gif

Management gets what they reward.

Whether that was what they intended to reward or not.

==========

Shipping an unfinished product isn't always dumb. If the next organization down stream or the customer needs the product to start integrating it into their plant or product, a non-working product can be a lot more useful than no product. That is the exception though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back