Burning oil after changing to Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 quart of oil consumption per 750 miles on a car over 50,000 miles?!!!!! Chrysler really knows how to lower the bar huh? I know VQ and LSX enthusiasts get [censored] about a 1/2 quart over the entire 5-7k OCI on 100,000 mile engines.

Originally Posted by Dave1027
Originally Posted by MParr
From the referenced PDF: For vehicles with more then 50,000 miles (80,467 km) the acceptable oil consumption for
engines is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 750 miles

That right there is enough reason not to purchase a Chrysler product.

You'll find that verbiage is consistent across all marques, this isn't just Chrysler.

Originally Posted by GZRider
I know VQ and LSX enthusiasts get [censored] about a 1/2 quart over the entire 5-7k OCI on 100,000 mile engines.

My current main set of a wheels is an '08 F150 (4.6 engine) with 175,000 miles -
and uses 0 quarts in 5K-7K...
so, yeah.
I'm with ya.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
It was always fine, fine, fine, it was always in the upper safe zone, then all of a sudden it's quite low when due for oil change.

This often happens when oil has "sheared" and is now "DONE".

This explains a lot. I always wondered why my 5.7 would do this... pennzoil seemed to do it the worst

Wow.... 1 qt usage in 750 miles on an engine with 50K an still considered normal?!
I am at 1 qt usage in 5K on a Ford 3.0 Vulvan with 300K and that's with Napa full synthetic 5w20 or Motorcraft blend 5w20.
BTW, I am not gentle on this engine with 3k shift point on the M5OD.
Wife's '04 SOHC 4.0 Explorer uses -no- oil at 150K with 5w30 Motorcraft syn blend.
Both vehicles get 5K oil change intervals.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by GZRider
I know VQ and LSX enthusiasts get [censored] about a 1/2 quart over the entire 5-7k OCI on 100,000 mile engines.

My current main set of a wheels is an '08 F150 (4.6 engine) with 175,000 miles -
and uses 0 quarts in 5K-7K...
so, yeah.
I'm with ya.

Same here with our Ford's, my 195,000 mi 4.6 2005 Explorer doesn't use any measurable oil even in 8,000+ mile OCI's and neither does my 1996 115,000 mi 2.0 Zetec using the same 8,000 mi OCI's. Both have use Motorcraft blends and various synthetic oils all their lives.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Dave1027
Originally Posted by MParr
From the referenced PDF: For vehicles with more then 50,000 miles (80,467 km) the acceptable oil consumption for
engines is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 750 miles

That right there is enough reason not to purchase a Chrysler product.

You'll find that verbiage is consistent across all marques, this isn't just Chrysler.

Yep. No matter the make, if you go to the dealer with a complaint about oil usage, they'll quote similar oil usage numbers as normal. IF you continue to complain, and it's under warranty, they will test it by filling to the proper level, sealing the oil fill cap and drain plug, and instructing the user to drive a set mileage, then bring it back to test the oil level. Any oil usage that is less than the stated acceptable oil consumption, will be considered normal, and not covered under the warranty

Last edited:
I don't think you go from being diligent about car care to letting both of your cars get 3qts low.
Chances are the oil levels weren't checked often.
Just a guess on my part.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
I don't think you go from being diligent about car care to letting both of your cars get 3qts low.
Chances are the oil levels weren't checked often.
Just a guess on my part.

You do when you start working 2 jobs so your wife can stay home due to high risk pregnancy and then to raise your infant child while she is on her second high risk pregnancy. The question was about Max life oil, not whether I checked it enough. For the last time, they never drank a sip prior. When I change the oil, I pour tbe old oil into the previous jugs, and it filled the 5 qt jug to the brim, not the top line like when purchased, so that's about 6 qts at the brim, then had a little more for the next empty jug...not 1.5 qts to equal the 7.5 it holds, but SOME spillage occurs, and the filter holds some, so nearly the 7.5 qts are accounted for.. So, no, I didn't check levels often, cuz it never proved to be needed. I checked before long trips, and first thing I check when she mentions acting up. When I noticed consumption, I checked it more regularly, and it still showed unnecessary, until all of a sudden it's way low near time for a change. There have been responses supporting my theory, I don't comprehend the need for people to continue trying to rag on me about checking the levels. I never effing asked if I check my oil enough. I asked if any others have noticed issues from blended oil, and some have concurred and others have been helpful regardless, then people want to question my car care abilities. If it was low because I completely neglect my vehicles, I wouldn't have given 2 chits and never taken the time to post in the first place. Moving on...

There was a thread a couple of weeks back on effects of switching brands or formulas. Maybe you could look at that thread and compare. Maybe go back to a conventional oil, could be some engines are more adversely affected to switches. Lots of guys on Bitog are always changing brands and oil weights with no ill effects. Personally I like to stay with the same oil. My engine might not like it so why tempt fate. Go back to dino and see what happens after a couple of oci's. Good luck.

Originally Posted by madeej11
There was a thread a couple of weeks back on effects of switching brands or formulas. Maybe you could look at that thread and compare. Maybe go back to a conventional oil, could be some engines are more adversely affected to switches. Lots of guys on Bitog are always changing brands and oil weights with no ill effects. Personally I like to stay with the same oil. My engine might not like it so why tempt fate. Go back to dino and see what happens after a couple of oci's. Good luck.

Even within brands the formulations change. If this guy was using Valvoline he already went from conventional to blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back