Buick Century bad fuel pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I left it soaking in more PB blaster, I just don't know what else to do. I've tapped and tapped til my legs went numb leaning over the darn thing.

I'm going to give it another try late tonight after work. I really wanted to have it out already, the tracking number for the new pump says it will be here tomorrow.

The ring rusts, but everything else is plastic so it shouldn't be rusted in place. It's tough to explain because you don't have to hit it hard, just the right way and it should slowly start to rotate.

Get in there and pry, you can bend one "layer" of ring away from the other "layer" substantially and have it all still work when you put it back together. There's some spring loaded stuff, if you can "lift" one layer up somewhat there's less spring loady and the ring that rotates will rotate easier. You can punch it all back down later.

What you can't see now but will figure out on reassembly is that it all seals with the giant o-ring, this lock ring is an overbuilt hassle. Even if you have to pry the lock ring locker up entirely in pieces, just hammer the pieces back down over the new pump.

I'll try again tonight, will report my luck and post pics if I get it out.

Also having trouble getting the middle fuel evap line off, the pressure lines on the outside were easy.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Also keep the tips coming if you can think of anything!
Use a bigger hammer!

All I have is a standard claw hammer, it's pretty generic not even a label with a weight on it.

I think my cruddy harbor freight screw driver is holding me back, it's just not very solid I get feeling it's not transmitting the blow well but it's all I got.

Also keep the tips coming if you can think of anything!

You could remove the tank, what I did about a year ago when I repl rear pump in my 1996 F-150(was either pull tank or bed)

BUT mainly pict is to show punch I used to rotate ring,as you see it isn't rusty.. Still rotating it is mostly going to be angle, the farther from a straight shot, the more difficult it will be...

gastank5_zpsddbdc430.jpg

Yeah if you're not going to get a punch at least get a "good" screwdriver, like a "painters screwdriver", a really big one that will open a paint can.

Success! I got the darn thing out! Can you believe all those hours of tapping away and it breaks free on the first tap i tried tonight after work?

Now i just gotta wait for the fuel pump to get here tomorrow and then figure out how to disassemble the sending unit.

Also i dropped some crud in my tank i guess that's what the strainers are for.

A lot of gas is dyed. Congrats on the removal! The first one I removed I learned it wasn't how hard you hit it, but how you tapped it.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The first one I removed I learned it wasn't how hard you hit it, but how you tapped it.

There's some X-rated elements to that statement.
blush.gif

I did one that was set up very similar a few years ago. I soaked it with Kroil and tapped and banged all around it and soaked it again. I let it sit overnight and did the job first thing in the morning. Giving the Kroil some time to work was the trick because that thing didn't want to move after soaking it for about 15 minutes, and cursing it.

I have reached a turning point in the job. I got the sending unit apart and starting putting things together and noticed the main strainer they sent me with the rebuild kit will simply not work, the hole/gasket is much larger and a different shape than i need. My old strainer is pretty rough looking and not re-usable.

I also noticed the fuel level sensor on the sending unit is half broken, it is down to 1 pin out of 3 possibly meaning my fuel level sensor could go soon.

Also i am having a very difficult time installing the straw onto the fuel pump. It's a very very tight fit. I even tried heating it with a hair dryer and using petroleum jelly and i can't get it even past the first of the two lips.

I think i am going to try to return the pump kit back to eBay for the incorrect strainer and see if i can get a whole new sending unit/pump assembly from Rockauto or locally maybe.

I can't even seem to locate a strainer only by itself, they seem to only come with rebuild kits or the whole pump assembly, so even if i could get the straw on i still don't have a strainer.

25in9xs.jpg

2wggpd1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: dishdude
The first one I removed I learned it wasn't how hard you hit it, but how you tapped it.

There's some X-rated elements to that statement.
blush.gif

And fast becoming more-so...

It's a very very tight fit. I even tried heating it with a hair dryer and using petroleum jelly and i can't get it even past the first of the two lips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back