bring back the foot switch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My van has the foot switch for the high beam. I really didn't give it much thought until now.

Like I said earlier, I remember well stomping around in the car with winter boots on trying to find the darn dimmer. Get in an unfamiliar vehicle in the dark and you might find it 50% of the time. The problem with stalk controls is they are all different from car to car. Here is one place I would like standardization between brands and vehicles--make all stalk controls operate the same! Do we need 16 different ways of operating the cruise control? My wife still can't figure out how to operate hers after three years in the car, and I have to look at it and think about it to get it to go. Car controls shouldn't be that way.

Last edited:
I do remember 'busy feet' driving stick with a floor dimmer switch and driving a stick. I can't say I miss it, but maybe folks would stop flashing their high beams if they brought it back.

Then again, those guys would probably start braking while dimming.

My first car, the '75 Maverick 4-door, had the floor switch. I thought it made sense to put it there; otherwise, in the auto-tranny car, your left foot wasn't doing anything. Also the '65 Mercury had it there, I think. But since then all my cars, '80s, '90s, and 2000s, have had the stalk control.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I've never seen a foot operated high beam switch. It sounds more cumbersome than the switch on the steering column.

My God. I guess I'm really getting old, it never even crossed my mind that there are drivers out there who have never even SEEN a dimmer switch.

I will be 30 this May and until this very moment had never before heard of this foot switch in my life! heh.

In Thomas Harris's Silence of the Lambs, the 1988 novel, Dr. Hannibal Lecter has a little trouble with operating a car he has stolen because he is unfamiliar with the stalks on the steering column. (Of course, Dr. Lecter has been in prison for at least 10 years by that time, so he has an excuse.) Nice detail from the author.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
My first car, the '75 Maverick 4-door, had the floor switch. I thought it made sense to put it there; otherwise, in the auto-tranny car, your left foot wasn't doing anything. Also the '65 Mercury had it there, I think. But since then all my cars, '80s, '90s, and 2000s, have had the stalk control.
The 1980 Camaro RS I had, had the dimmer switch on the floor.

Why I'm I not surprised at the title of the topic? Bring back the 1950's........

Last edited:
I remember the 1st time I drove a car with the stalk type switch, it was on high beam, and I blinded and po'd a bunch of people because I couldn't find the dimmer. It wan't my car, just driving it home for a friend.

Oh, and yes, I love the 50's and 60's cars. Not so much for the amenities which are great in the newer cars, but for the simplicity of them. Especially when something needs repairing, as it used to be simple, and cost only a few dollars, to fix the same thing that today takes an engineering degree, and hundreds if not thousands of dollars to repair. I know, I know, they are now safer, faster, use less gas, etc, etc.

Originally Posted By: old1
Oh, and yes, I love the 50's and 60's cars. Not so much for the amenities which are great in the newer cars, but for the simplicity of them. Especially when something needs repairing, as it used to be simple, and cost only a few dollars, to fix the same thing that today takes an engineering degree, and hundreds if not thousands of dollars to repair. I know, I know, they are now safer, faster, use less gas, etc, etc.

Good point. Wonder what age car offers amenities and relative simplicity of repair. My 95 BMW is close (for a german car) but not really close enough. I think I want one similar to my old 70 Mustang fastback which had air, power steering, brakes but with ABS and fuel injection. Oops that concept is moving back to a modern but more complex car.
smile.gif

I don't disagree. But they don't break anywhere near as often. Many go 150,000 miles with few issues. Many of the cars of the 50's were junk after 100,000 miles.

Let's bring back the "radiator bags" that many of us in the West had to hang on our cars for extra water when they over heated going up a mountain pass or across the desert. Before there were electric fans.....

Last edited:
Yes CKN, I agree that the modern cars last more miles, but then how much of that is due to better lubes, and metals? Also 50 years ago not as many people drove as many miles as today, in other words lots of short trips. I remember looking at a used late 60 Olds that the odometer read 99000 miles. It ran and drove like a new one, and had never had any major work done. Then I was told that it had 199000 miles on it, but was used by a salesman, so were mostly road miles. I also knew of a Chevelle with nearly 300000 and still going strong. In regard to the "water bags", I think that was older cars than 60's.. I drove a 66 plymouth with a 318 3 speed stick up pikes peak using 2nd gear all the way up with my foot on the gas planted to the floor at about 15 to 20 mph all the way up except once when I had to stop for a much newer car that was overheated, and had to wait for cars coming down before I could pass him, so had t start in low again. This was when the road was gravel.

Everything in life is a trade-off; I do like the simplicity of my 1995 Club Sport, and it's still a ton of fun to drive. That said, my 2 Series returns virtually the same fuel economy as the 3er yet it gets to 60 mph 3.5 seconds faster than the ti, and in the 0-100 sprint the 2er is 17.5 seconds faster.
So I'm not all that averse to modern technology...

I'd like cars to be simpler. I hate these electronic problems that require a trip to the dealer to diagnose and then even they can't do it so they start pulling and replacing expensive parts until they hit the right one. What's the simplest, most basic vehicle you can purchase new in the USA now?

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I'd like cars to be simpler. I hate these electronic problems that require a trip to the dealer to diagnose and then even they can't do it so they start pulling and replacing expensive parts until they hit the right one. What's the simplest, most basic vehicle you can purchase new in the USA now?

9180040_L_18352ca7.jpg

Why not bring back the floor mounted stater switch as well so you can be nice and confused. Just move it from the dash on all those trendy high tech cars.

Im a 1980's baby, but I was a user of records, rotary phones, and dial TVs that you tuned to "U" to get to UHF channels...

But a foot switch for high beams is not something Ive encountered!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Im a 1980's baby, but I was a user of records, rotary phones, and dial TVs that you tuned to "U" to get to UHF channels...

But a foot switch for high beams is not something Ive encountered!

I recall seeing them on American cars as a kid (cars were from mid-late 70's). I asked my older brother what it was for and it totally boggled my mind.

Our family Volvo wagons from the 70's had nothing of the sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back