Brake thump sound on rear after car wasn't used for 10 days?

Car was parked on black top for 10 days had zero sounds before hand.

When i drove off it felt like the tires had melted to the black top now whenever you apply the brakes there is a thumping sound in the rear. They are disc brakes.

What should i do?

Thanks

You probably have rust spots on the rotors. They will eventually wear down as you use the brakes. You could try some hard stops where it is safe to do so, to get rid of the rust spots faster.

You probably have rust spots on the rotors. They will eventually wear down as you use the brakes. You could try some hard stops where it is safe to do so, to get rid of the rust spots faster.

So i should not worry? It's my wifes car i have not drove it yet to get a feel for them.

Thanks for the help.

So i should not worry? It's my wifes car i have not drove it yet to get a feel for them.

Thanks for the help.

No need to worry. This is a common occurrence when a vehicle is not driven for a while. The brake pads rust and stick to the rotors and that is why it felt like the tires were glued to the pavement.

I drove the car it sounds like a drum beat when you apply the brakes in the rear.

The car does not shake or anything when applying the brakes nor does the steering wheel shake/vibrate, i looked at the rotor and found this rough looking spot.

Attachments

• rt.jpg
    rt.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 10
Would that one spot cause that much noise? 50 miles driven and it’s still there.

Yes, it would cause the noise you hear.
3 fixes in order of increased cost.

1. Drive it with moderate braking stops from higher speeds to see if your pads can wear down the spot.
2. Garage might be able to turn the rotor(s) if enough thickness is remaining.
3. Replace the rotor.

Pads will need to be inspected for 2 and 3 for either servicing or replacement.

Back