Brake Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by doitmyself:
JohnBrowning,

Don't tell that to the guys at Autozone, or they might ask me to start paying for the worn out Performance pads that I exchange every time there - for free!

If you doubt me, CALL THEM. I just did to make sure they didn't change their lifetime warrantee - free replacement for WORN OUT pads.

Same deal at Parts America/Advance Auto. Trouble is, they weren't around when my 77 LUV was new. I also need to get back on JC Whitney about those shock absorbers I bought a long time ago.

John, it's not so simple. There are at least three major variations on a "lifetime" warranty.

The lowest. Part is guaranteed against defects for the life of the part. When it wears out it is no longer warrantied.

Next higher and sneaky. Part is guaranteed to last forever, but it's free replacement part isn't.

Best. The original part and it's replacements are all guaranteed against wearing out.

You need to read the fine print.

quote:

Don't tell that to the guys at Autozone, or they might ask me to start paying for the worn out Performance pads that I exchange every time there - for free!

Ditto...

Lifetime Warranty in this case means they replace the pads when they wear out. I'm on my 3rd set on my Olds Ciera. Paid the first time and that's it.

Oh, they lasted on that car about 40k per set, but the rear drums hardly do a thing on that car.

[ February 29, 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

quote:

Originally posted by m2pc:
I put on a set of Akebone, great pads, ceramic, less dust and no noise. Remember that they have two lines, the ACT and the PRO-ACT, not sure what the difference is but I had originally paid for the ProACT and was shipped the lower priced ACT.

I was told that the main difference was in the packaging, same pad, same material. The ones for the Xterra came in a big pretty box, pads and shims shrink-wrapped in a cascading display to show it all off, and a few stickers. The regular ACTs for my Honda (Akebono is a OEM supplier) came in a small plain box with a big rubber band around all 4 pads and no shims or stickers.

cool.gif
I got the NAPA's, we'll see. Thanks for all the input.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
cool.gif
I got the NAPA's, we'll see. Thanks for all the input.

You'll like them...put the NAPA Ceramix on my Jeep Cherokee 3 years ago...stop great,low dust but rotors get eaten quicker IMO..would buy them again
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TurboFrog:
Another vote for EBC Greenstuff pad [/QB]

Me too. I've been running them since December. So far so good. The OEM pads on my Audi were a brake dust h-e-l-l. These Greenstuffs seem to be much better in that respect. The actual braking performance is about the same as OEM, maybe little worse when cold, but once warmed up, they work well. Anyways, I'll be doing a brake upgrade soon.

[ March 03, 2004, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Quattro Pete ]

Hawk's FerroCarbon HP

They win hands down.

Drive aggressive, drive docile, lower dust than OE, easy on the rotors, and a definate upgrade over stock.

I find them superior to the EBC Green's myself.

The greens would be my number #2 choice.

Thought I might add to an old post --
I drive an Acura SLX which is a Trooper in a tux. It has 82,XXX on the odometer. The stock rear brake pads routinely last in excess of 80,000 miles. The front pads often go 100,000 miles. I think I will stay with the stock pads. The braking is superb. I am ready to have my rear pads changed.
Mike

quote:

Originally posted by AcuraSLX:
an Acura SLX which is a Trooper in a tux.

Huh ??
Acura = Honda ?
Trooper = Isuzu ?

Does Honda = Isuzu at some corporate level ?
I learn something here everytime.

A friend has a Trooper; it's a real truck, which Isuzu knows how to make, worldwide. Even a Trooper in a sport coat would be a step toward Acura.
smile.gif

Raybestos "Quiet Stop" Ceramic pads seem to work well on our Grand Am. I bought Hawk HPS pads for my Mustang, but I have not installed them yet.

Surprisingly, cheap Autozone "Albany" pads have worked well for me on two cars.

Yes Izusu and honda had a deal. Isuzu made the Acura SLX(trooper) and the Honda Passport(Rodeo), Honda made the Isuzu Oasis(Odysey).

This stopped when Honda made their own SUVs. Now Honda uses some Isuzu Diesels and Saturn uses a Honda V6 in the VUE.(GM owns part of Isuzu.)

-T

cool.gif
Been on about 3 weeks now, haven't washed it for about that long either because of crappy and cold weather, hardly any dust to speak of.
worshippy.gif

How many miles do you guys usually get on brake pads? I bought my Toyota Matrix new last year in April and I have 14,700 miles on them now. I don't think I abuse the pads or drums at all, when will it be time to service them? My car has discs in the front and drums in the rear.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:
How many miles do you guys usually get on brake pads?

The best thing you can do is check their wear at regular intervals. Pad mileage varies all over the map depending on adequate sizing of the brakes, and material, type of driving, driver, etc.

Some would be on their second set of pads at your mileage, some will get 100,000 miles from them.

Check you pads now and record the thickness, then depending on how much life is in them check them again at some later mileage. That will give you some idea how fast you wear them out.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:
How many miles do you guys usually get on brake pads?

In my experience it just depends on the vehicle and the kind of driving you do. My first Ranger I had to have the rears replaced fairly early, but never did the fronts in 45k. My new one the fronts just barely passed inspection at 33k but the rears are fine. I once had a Mustang that I got nearly 100k on the rears and a Lincoln that would wear them all out in less than a year.

I have front and rear disks. I changed the fronts at about 40k due to warpage. The car is now at about 74k and I just changed the rears for the first time. The fronts look to be about half used. For your Matrix, I suggest you just keep an eye on the brakes. Take the wheels off once in a while and look at the pads. I check mine when I rotate tires. That way you'll get an idea of how much life to expect.

BTW, the original poster mentioned that the brake dust was worse on one side of the car. I see exactly the same thing on mine. It's weird. The only reason I can think of is that the air flow through the engine compartment is different on one side than the other, which affects how much brake dust is blow onto the rotors. This is just a guess, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back