Please recommend brake pads for 2018 Mazda CX-5

What brand brake pads do you recommend for 2018 Mazda CX-5 ?

This CX-5 is the sport model and I will be doing the front & rear pads next week. Thanks

Stopping power is the priority, brake dust unimportant.

This CX-5 is the sport model and I will be doing the front & rear pads next week. Thanks

Hey, let us know how it goes. Especially the rear. I won't need to do mine for a while. But i understand you have to put the rear brakes in service mode before screwing the calipers back in.

@The Critic may have experience with this.

If stopping power really is the priority you'd go semi metallic and not ceramic or organic. I prefer ceramic as ceramic lasts longer and wears the rotors the least. I know Duralast gold semi metallic can be had and SP performance is one that shows up. I remember having duralast gold semi metalics on my yukon once as the ceramics were unavaiable. Suckers gripped good enough to where i had to soften my braking but i went back ceramic after that. Don't know other brands.

I am a big fan of quality Semi Metallic pads. They are getting hard to find, as there are now rules banning copper and other metals used in such pads.

Despite what many manufacturers claim, many of today's offerings fall quite short in the friction department. Look for a G-G rated pad, or at least an F-F, if you are sure of the manufacturer's quality.

After going through too many crummy "name brand" pads on my Jaguar, I finally stumbled on Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi Metallic GG rated pads. They flat out ROCK. I'm a driving enthusiast, an ex racer, I know what I like, and I am very hard on brakes.

Note: The "ThermoQuiet" name and the OE25 compound name is used for both "Semi Metallic" and "Ceramic". Only one is good.

Here is my thread.

Hey, let us know how it goes. Especially the rear. I won't need to do mine for a while. But i understand you have to put the rear brakes in service mode before screwing the calipers back in.

@The Critic may have experience with this.
Caliper doesnt wind in like a mechanical parking brake caliper. Once the parking brake system is put into maintenance mode which winds the motors back you push the piston straight back like you would on a front caliper

Dave, how many miles on your CX-5?

Are you changing them due to wear, or to have better braking ?

I am a big fan of quality Semi Metallic pads. They are getting hard to find, as there are now rules banning copper and other metals used in such pads.

Despite what many manufacturers claim, many of today's offerings fall quite short in the friction department. Look for a G-G rated pad, or at least an F-F, if you are sure of the manufacturer's quality.

After going through too many crummy "name brand" pads on my Jaguar, I finally stumbled on Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi Metallic GG rated pads. They flat out ROCK. I'm a driving enthusiast, an ex racer, I know what I like, and I am very hard on brakes.

Note: The "ThermoQuiet" name and the OE25 compound name is used for both "Semi Metallic" and "Ceramic". Only one is good.

Here is my thread.

I've installed Ceramic Thermoquiets that were GG as well. However the last set I put on an S-10 were F-E. Maybe they use different ceramic compounds in different applications.. I've been happy with all of them for a Daily driver though.

I changed mine to the raybestos elements 3 pads and rotors. Pedal modularity is the same as the factory pads but the initial bite is way better.

Back