BMW Service is insane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Just adding to the mix, for the identical 2014 model, the manufacturer has dropped to 10,000 miles.

Interesting. They didn't back spec it for their previous models? A 2013 is 15k and 2014 is 10k?

How do you like the 320i xDrive? I see a lot of them around. I would ditch the xDrive and go for a 328i personally.

I love it. The car is super well-balanced, and handles better than the previous generation. It is a daily-driver for me and inclement weather was a consideration. I drove the 328 and acknowledge that it has a little more punch. That said, it is not power that sells these cars. If I turn it in at the end of the lease, I will grab a diesel wagon.
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Just adding to the mix, for the identical 2014 model, the manufacturer has dropped to 10,000 miles.

Interesting. They didn't back spec it for their previous models? A 2013 is 15k and 2014 is 10k?

How do you like the 320i xDrive? I see a lot of them around. I would ditch the xDrive and go for a 328i personally.

But I don't get a world where brake fluid is changed before the first oil change. I also feel that BMW has not communicated clearly on the OCI's most appropriate for their cars.

because they didn't.
the dealer probably falsified the service so they can bill corporate and get paid.

how do you know the dealer performed the service, did you see them do it?
what proof do you have afterward to prove them a liar?

haha LOL. couple threads down from this one, just saw it after posting above.

"Subaru sues Calif. dealership, claims it filed false customer surveys"

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3634063/gonew/1/More_$tealership_shenanigans._#UNREAD

I watched the car go on the lift. I actually wish I had a dipstick to take a peek at oil color.i doubt that service was faked, but certainly don't understand the OCI going from 14 to 10k and not including the slightly older cars.
Originally Posted By: 1 FMF

But I don't get a world where brake fluid is changed before the first oil change. I also feel that BMW has not communicated clearly on the OCI's most appropriate for their cars.

because they didn't.
the dealer probably falsified the service so they can bill corporate and get paid.

how do you know the dealer performed the service, did you see them do it?
what proof do you have afterward to prove them a liar?

BMW started loosing their way back in the early 90s but only started to really become apparent in the mid to late 90s.

Up until the early 90s BMW catered to true driving enthusiasts and their products showed it, reliability was very good all the way through the mid- late 80s or so, then quickly started to decline when they started catering to the "yuppies" and DINK crowds.

I remember being able to drive and work with used BMWs from that time and they were solid well built and NOT over complicated either.

If they don't reverse course there will be little of what made them appealing to driving and owning enthusiasts.

The most recent 2 series is a good start but the cars still are too over engineered and complicated even if they brought back some of the excellent driving dynamics that made them great.

Originally Posted By: Lead Shoes
The more electronic and over engineered BMWs become the more the bills rise... and the raw performance experience lowers.

The problem lies in the bean counters, the de-tuned race era of the 90's is gone and they appear to be in it for the sales numbers now.

Where is the, THERE'S NO CUP HOLDERS BECAUSE THIS CAR IS NOT A ROLLING SOFA YOU LAZY AMERICAN SCUM!? The soul the old German cars had is gone, call it the clarkson theory, but the x factor is slipping from BMW's grip as the years move forward.

I think their sales are fine. They didn't use have as many cup holders, but rankings are important and they got knocked down in the rankings because they didn't have enough cup holders. So they put in cup holders. I think pretty much any car in the American market has enough cup holders now.

The oil is probably good for 13k same deal as the cup holders. People in the US don't believe that you can go that long without an oil change so they lowered it to 10k, not that there was anything wrong with the oil. Mercedes did the same thing. They go much longer in Germany.

My God, what the [censored] is wrong with everyone? The post concerns some weirdness surrounding BMW maintenance. It has turned into incoherent rumblings about the brand. One hero has two BMWs worth about three grand altogether, and is telling us how only the M cars fit his specifications. Dream on.

And we have several ramblings about how much electronics have been added to the cars, as though that's unique to the marque. Plenty of talk about performance, handling and reliability. Modern 3 series cars get top scores all- round.

There is also drivel about cup holders and bean counters.

Go back to the topic and stop bashing the brand, which builds some of the sweetest rides out there.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
money pits always have been owned two and learned like range rover and mercedes that they just are not worth it. Save them for the show offs that work two jobs at burger king.

I must note that while I've owned two BMW's (including my current M-car) that I've never worked at Burger King, nor do I plan on a career change in that direction
21.gif

I lease a 2013 320i with Xdrive. BMW pays for the service. My car just hit 9,000 miles about a year and a half after the in service date. I got an email from the company dealer telling me to come in for a one-year oil change. The manufacturer calls for 14,000 miles or whatever the service indicator says.

I get the service done and the car is handed back to me. I read the bill and see that they have changed the wiper blades (good), performed a recall involving grommets (okay) .

Lastly, they have flushed, filled and bled the braking system.

No oil change.

I went back in. After a back-and-forth, they asked if I wanted my oil change. They performed the service (BMW 5W30 Syn) and sent me on my way. They refused to reset my service indicator because BMW would not let them. They told me to come back for oil when the indicator says so.

I should note that the dealer was pleasant, personable and tried to explain their positions. I have new oil in the sump and am not out one penny.

I'm somewhat intrigued by the early change of the brake fluid but the oil change thing doesn't surprise me. QP and I have discussed this before, but the BMW OLM allows for incredibly long OCI's and I believe, as another person noted, the reduction in OCI length to "10K" is really just to cater to the American public who isn't comfortable with the longer European intervals. Heck, I'll admit I'm not comfortable running my car to the OLM, I typically change it around 10,000Km. I think I had done more than two oil changes before the OLM finally wanted me to change the oil
crazy2.gif

Bought my wife her 2011 BMW 328i new. After owning over 80 cars and trucks in my lifetime (so far) I can say that the car has the best fit and finish inside and out of them all. Car handles extremely well and has been flawless to date.

I normally never let any dealer touch one of my cars for anything except warranty service. The exception is the BMW dealer. They do flawless work and treat you like royalty at every visit.

I do not pay any attention to the OLM on the car. It gets an oil change every six months. BMW will change the oil free for you every year minimum regardless of the miles. I pay for every other change. They also automatically perform all other maintenance items required such as brake fluid changes. Not sure why on the brake fluid but really don't care.

There is only one thing I do not like about the car. It has no oil dipstick. The check is electronic. I like to be able to see my oil level.

I wish that all the cars I have had were built to BMW standards and that the dealers were half as good. When the wife is ready, we will be trading her car on a new BMW.

Last edited:
Doesn't BMW warranty the brake pads, unlike most every other maker? I mean, what's it cost them, fifty bucks, and it implies they cater to the hard driver?

Brake fluid's even cheaper and I'm stoked they keep the bleeders from rusting in place.

I'm kind of refreshed the dealer is so adamantly different.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'm somewhat intrigued by the early change of the brake fluid

The OP did not state when the car was first put in service. If it was about 2 years back, then that would be the basis for them to change the brake fluid.

However, if it really was about 2 years, then they should have also gone ahead and changed his oil, without him having to specifically request it. That is the only thing that raised my eye brow.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
. . . Up until the early 90s BMW catered to true driving enthusiasts and their products showed it, reliability was very good all the way through the mid- late 80s or so, then quickly started to decline when they started catering to the "yuppies" and DINK crowds. . . .

The most recent 2 series is a good start but the cars still are too over engineered and complicated even if they brought back some of the excellent driving dynamics that made them great.

The CPO 3-Series I test drove a couple of years ago was fun to drive. A little stiff in the suspension, but not much more than the Regal is. And when I needed to change lanes swiftly to exit from the Interstate -- safely; nobody was coming up behind me -- the car maintained its composure and felt as if it were glued to the road.

One hero has two BMWs worth about three grand altogether, and is telling us how only the M cars fit his specifications. Dream on.

I don't need to dream; when-among other things-you've driven a BMW in the ALCAN 5000 Winter Rally, lapped a road course in an E65 B7, spent a day at Sears Point(Infineon Raceway)behind the wheel of a Dinan E30 M3, or covered several International Launches of a new BMW, let me know.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
One hero has two BMWs worth about three grand altogether, and is telling us how only the M cars fit his specifications. Dream on.

I don't need to dream; when-among other things-you've driven a BMW in the ALCAN 5000 Winter Rally, lapped a road course in an E65 B7, spent a day at Sears Point(Infineon Raceway)behind the wheel of a Dinan E30 M3, or covered several International Launches of a new BMW, let me know.

^^^I thought that was a little harsh too. As far as the oil changes go, I would just do one in between myself if I planned on keeping the car. That way you know for sure that the oil is good and not going to sludge things up long term.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
As far as the oil changes go, I would just do one in between myself if I planned on keeping the car. That way you know for sure that the oil is good and not going to sludge things up long term.

Excellent point; the M54 inline six in my X3 totally depletes the additive package in 10,000 miles or less- yet the car only calls for an OCI of @15,000 miles. As you suggest I change it at around 7,500 miles. The truck is still going strong at 12 years and 170,000 miles.

What do you expect it is BMW. They actually want your business. Not like some dealers that do shotty service and didn't really like you coming in there.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: MCompact

^^^I thought that was a little harsh too. As far as the oil changes go, I would just do one in between myself if I planned on keeping the car. That way you know for sure that the oil is good and not going to sludge things up long term.

Use of the word hero was harsh. My bad. As much as I like the 318ti, it is a 138hp novelty, nothing to do with modern M3's, 235's etc... And even less to do with the post's topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back