Suggestions before submitting my first oil sample to WearCheck?

I will soon be submitting my first oil sample to any oil analysis service. In this case, I have chosen WearCheck. They quoted me a price of $42.50 for the basic analysis. For those of you who do regular oil analysis, I was wondering if there's anything above the basic testing that WearCheck performs that I should consider having them test? Is the basic test they perform good enough for the average person?

In my case, I have a 2019 Tacoma with the 3.5L V-6 motor and it's on the second oil change. I originally ran the TGMO 0W-20 oil, but I switched to Mobil 1 0W-20 ESP. The oil probably only has 2K-3K miles on it, but I'm going to change my oil because I do a lot of short trips and it's been a couple of years since the last oil change. My truck only has just over 12K miles on it.

Any suggestions before submitting my oil sample?

Thank you,
Ed

Get an account for their online portal and submit your sample data there. The learning curve is a bit steep, but having all your data and reports online is nice for reporting in the future.

If you ping someone at Wearcheck via the chat, they will teach you how to use the portal.

I will soon be submitting my first oil sample to any oil analysis service. In this case, I have chosen WearCheck. They quoted me a price of $42.50 for the basic analysis. For those of you who do regular oil analysis, I was wondering if there's anything above the basic testing that WearCheck performs that I should consider having them test? Is the basic test they perform good enough for the average person?

In my case, I have a 2019 Tacoma with the 3.5L V-6 motor and it's on the second oil change. I originally ran the TGMO 0W-20 oil, but I switched to Mobil 1 0W-20 ESP. The oil probably only has 2K-3K miles on it, but I'm going to change my oil because I do a lot of short trips and it's been a couple of years since the last oil change. My truck only has just over 12K miles on it.

Any suggestions before submitting my oil sample?

Thank you,
Ed

Well, Mr. Average Person, it depends.

What is it you’re wanting to know from WearCheck?

I understand changing the oil with low OCI miles owing to the short trips and the two years in the crankcase.

But, unless you suspect a coolant leak (unlikely with 12k miles on the vehicle) or other mechanical issues, the basic UOA will likely tell you what they normally tell you on a newer vehicle: it’s still “breaking in.”

Higher silicon levels, for certain, and other items will show as “elevated” yet normal for a newer engine.

I wouldn’t pay for a TBN. Not at that OCI.

I don’t know if they charge extra for an accurate fuel dilution test but regardless, it’s likely going to be higher owing to short tripping over two years.

Seriously, if that were my ride I’d change the oil and maybe the filter and forgo the UOA.

Your choice.

Get an account for their online portal and submit your sample data there. The learning curve is a bit steep, but having all your data and reports online is nice for reporting in the future.

If you ping someone at Wearcheck via the chat, they will teach you how to use the portal.

Good to know!

Thanks!

You mentioned short trips,make sure you get and understand the fuel dilution numbers.If it is high,you run the risk of gas taking the oil lube properties away.Adjust your mileage accordingly. Save your paper work,its a bit of piece of mind,they will call you if need be,might save you an engine

Question for my fellow forum goers: When you draw oil to be sent off for analysis, do you replace the oil removed, even though it's a small amount? Approximately how much is drawn into the little tube they send, if you know? Thanks for your time and help.

Back