Humanoid Robots Coming to BMW USA Factory

Working amongst these "general purpose" robots would be a bit creepy at first, I think.

6a00d8341c4fbe53ef02c8d3a8955e200b-500wi.png

Under the agreement, BMW Manufacturing and Figure will pursue a milestone-based approach. In the first phase, Figure will identify initial use cases to apply the Figure robots in automotive production. Once the first phase has been completed, the Figure robots will begin staged deployment at BMW’s manufacturing facility in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

I wouldn't want to stand anywhere near one of those things let alone on an assembly line with it holding tools.

I would like to know what the intended use is. Robots are not people. On car mfg lines, because the vehicle is a box, automation is limited. Welding robots are common, of course, but humanoid?

It's thought that advanced use of robotics and automation would require big changes to the line and the box structure.
Interesting, but the article is void of specifics. Cost is everything, but people can be retrained to do many tasks.

This is a byproduct of inflation and the continued pressure on wage increases. On top of that robots don't call in sick, don't talk back and do what they are told (programmed) to do. It is the future folks, more automation and robots are on the way. Yes humans will still be required but less and less all the time. AI will be a big piece of this transition as well.

Just my $0.02

Back