Best way to remove cartridge filter on '08 Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
I just changed the oil in my 3.5 Sienna this morning. The filter box (Toyota) lists 19 ft/lbs as the torque for the cartridge. I kind of like the new setup since it's easy to see if there is anything in the filter. Mine was a clean as a wistle.

This ease of viewing the filter media is a plus. I spread my filter out after 770 miles on the factory fill and found aluminum shavings, blue flecks of paint, and small bits of green plastic (!?).

Originally Posted By: 302Xplorer
Well, that is that. After the purchase of 2 new tools many, many curse words and cups of coffee, I am done. The tool that worked out of the three in the picture was the one on the far left.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/302Xplorer/OilTragady004.jpg[IMG]
Once I got the canister or whetever the [censored] it's called off, the culprit reared her ugly head.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/302Xplorer/OilTragady015.jpg
In conclusion, let me say, God bless kitty litter.
302X

Sorry to bump an old thread, but is that BECK/ARNLEY filter?

I don't like how the Fram, Toyota or Wix filters don't glue the ends all the way to the edge:
8073_1.gif

The Purolator one does thoug
30w6uqs.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a replacement FRAM filter. Now I have NEVER used FRAM since the 1980s because of demonstrated low quality, but I looked in the box and it is just a filtering medium insert, which looked pretty good, and two O-rings. I figured the anti-drainback valve is in the engine block, which has been a FRAM failing for years, so I bought it. Was I stupid?

I too have been guilty of carrying home an orange box. At the time, it had the same Purlux filter as my snooty dealer was selling in an AC box. I don't think I gave up orange cans until the 90's.

Originally Posted By: ShifterStang
Was I stupid?

No.
Can you post a photo of the Fram?
Mobil1 supposedly makes one for this app, but I've never seen it either.

Quote:
B0000rt...

I don't like how the Fram, Toyota or Wix filters don't glue the ends all the way to the edge:

Because they glue the edges of the media together during the pleating process. Try to seperate the ends of the pleats.

I just changed out a Toyota filter on a Rav4 and like you said, the pleats were still glued solidly top and bottom. Could not separate the ends of the pleats without a needlenose and elbow grease.

Originally Posted By: ShifterStang
I bought a replacement FRAM filter. Now I have NEVER used FRAM since the 1980s because of demonstrated low quality, but I looked in the box and it is just a filtering medium insert, which looked pretty good, and two O-rings. I figured the anti-drainback valve is in the engine block, which has been a FRAM failing for years, so I bought it. Was I stupid?

No problem using FRAM for these media only design at all. The only problem is most places don't carry these filters for my IS250 RWD, except the Purolator in Pepboys which would cost me more than an OEM Toyota ($8 instead of $5). Now why would I not use OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back