Best SAE30 weight oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used SAE 40 a few times in engines that were run for years on conventional 5W30s with the same result.
Some people experience the same, switching to a PAO synthetic following a conventional.
Back in the day we could get Esso XD-3 0W40 with SA 1.5, TBN 12+ and a ZDDP content that would glow in the dark.
I wouldn't be surprised if it had 20% JTO blended in. Aircraft turbine oil used to be the bitog trick of the week.
There is an entire thread that got sideways on the topic, between a USAF officer and a know-it-all mechanic who took home used JTO
and put in his pickup truck.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Yes but i think on pqia they dont test sae 30 for noack but the other usual stuff.

They have on some oils, but perhaps not on the SAE 30. I never checked that closely on them. Generally speaking, I wouldn't worry too much about the Noack in an SAE 30 from any of the big names.

I had a friends dad that worked at NASA/AMES and got JTO as discard oil off the wind tunnel bearing pumps. He ran it in everything (trucks, tractors, cars) mixed with some Phillips 66 Trop-Artic. Never and issue. That was everything from his 55 Caddy Coupe DeVille to Cletrac ...

I checked out the thread, and I will admit to barely making it to page six. The mechanical aspects of turbine engines are above my head almost entirely. Unfortunately, the thread quickly became an ego contest, and it was difficult to keep focus on the technical aspect of the posts. I will say that I did learn a few things, however.

Despite not having any sort of data to view, I do quite like the theory of the oil blend in question. If I'm not mistaken, the Mobil 254 is a full synthetic group V oil that ends up being a synthetic monograde SAE 10. Blended with a conventional PCMO 10W-40, at a ratio of six quarts PCMO to one quart 254 10wt, the mixture should end up being a shear stable 10W-30, correct? Without actually being able to view the additive package via VOA, it's hard to distinguish whether the mixture is of any benefit. It does not seem advisable to run straight turbine oil in a piston car engine, but in a pinch, and if it is all that was accessable, topping off with a quart of turbine engine oil wouldn't hurt anything, it just wouldn't be ideal.

It does raise the question however, that if one could get their hands on an unfinished batch of 254, could they finish it using car oil additives to create a group V 10wt passenger car oil?

This general "Best Mono-grade" subject comes up now and again, here and over in HDEO forum. For some folks, it makes perfect sense to run an SAE Mono Grade
smile.gif

Wow. There was a lot of **** swingin' over on that "Aircraft oil in cars" thread. Unfortunately, there was a lot of personal interjection amongst some snippets of actual info.
This discussion has gone on for MANY years. My take? What's the point? There's an element of trying to prove others wrong. Even though you may be right.
Back in the late 1990's, in the infancy of the "interweb", there used to be a meme. It showed a picture of a young man, soon to be included in the "opressed" category, crossing the finish line of a running contest. The caption read, "Arguing on the internet is like running in the ------- --------. You may win, but you're still --------."
And even though the terminology may be politically incorrect, it is true. And it has stuck with me all these years.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I had a friends dad that worked at NASA/AMES and got JTO as discard oil off the wind tunnel bearing pumps. He ran it in everything (trucks, tractors, cars) mixed with some Phillips 66 Trop-Artic. Never and issue. That was everything from his 55 Caddy Coupe DeVille to Cletrac ...

It always seems that there are people who think that since it is "aircraft grade" (or even worse "aerospace grade") it is automatically super duper and better than what is prescribed or appropriate for another use. Often it is just the opposite because there's not a lot that's more backwards sometimes than the aviation industry, especially general aviation. That industry is glacially slow to respond to innovation and is often years behind the automotive industry.

Maybe way back when it was true that jet turbine oil was "better" than what was available for automobiles, but no way I would use it in any of my cars today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back