Best oil filter brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: labman
Originally Posted By: daman
Anything but a FRAM-O-death or Escrap is usally good.

A strong, loaded opinion with little to back it up.

No different than claiming Purolators are junk because they are linked to German ownership. It's sad when ethnic bias is the driving force to disliking something. Do you have something against Germany that focuses back to they years 1939 to 1945?
wink.gif

Notice I haven't taken up the offer of a free case of those?

If Purolator was American owned, you couldn't keep the drool off the boxes.
lol.gif
It's obvious that there are ethnic fueled skeletons dancing in the closet

I assume by "best oil filter" the comparison is being made to OEM and other after market types?

Ok, I can understand the comparison with aftermarket types as there would generally be the same technology/design/type of filtering used for all filters within a brand.

What I don't understand is a comparison with OEM as these would generally be an unknown for a lot of the original vehicle makers.

Is my logic flawed?

Having said that is there a good test of different oil filters similar to or better than the Amsoil ones on motocycle oils?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

No different than claiming Purolators are junk because they are linked to German ownership. It's sad when ethnic bias is the driving force to disliking something. Do you have something against Germany that focuses back to they years 1939 to 1945?
wink.gif

Has labman said they are junk or just that he prefers to buy American and since Purolator is owned by Bosch, which we all known in a German company, he prefers to buy something else?

It must be lonely up on your pedestal.

There is no more of a "best" oil filter than a best:

oil
stereo speaker
cell phone service
golf ball
napkin
paper or plastic bag
tooth brush
tire
etc.

There are better and poorer choices based upon your expected use, maintenance plan, severity of use, etc, etc, etc ...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
There is no more of a "best" oil filter than a best:

oil
stereo speaker
cell phone service
golf ball
napkin
paper or plastic bag
tooth brush
tire
etc.

There are better and poorer choices based upon your expected use, maintenance plan, severity of use, etc, etc, etc ...

Dude - we need to stop agreeing on stuff! People expect me to say the EaO is best, but for a 3K or 5K or short OCI, the EaO makes little sense. I.E. not the best. Good, even great at extended OCI's - but even then can vary a bit on which part #, and made by which manufacturer.

Hate to say it, but I have even used Fram with no problems at all.

Originally Posted By: Craig750
I assume by "best oil filter" the comparison is being made to OEM and other after market types?

Ok, I can understand the comparison with aftermarket types as there would generally be the same technology/design/type of filtering used for all filters within a brand.

What I don't understand is a comparison with OEM as these would generally be an unknown for a lot of the original vehicle makers.

Is my logic flawed?

Having said that is there a good test of different oil filters similar to or better than the Amsoil ones on motocycle oils?

OEM filters are all made by one or another of the "aftermarket" companies....ie:
AC Delco made by Champ
Motorcraft/Mopar made by Purolator
Honda/Subaru made by Fram

Whether the OEM is made to better, identical, or poorer specs then the same aftermarket application is still a question.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

wink.gif

Has labman said they are junk or just that he prefers to buy American and since Purolator is owned by Bosch, which we all known in a German company, he prefers to buy something else?

It must be lonely up on your pedestal.

So a few filters is going to save this country?,foolish thought,i try to stick with USA products when i can but if it's going to cost me $ down the road or it's just an inferior product i buy whats quality constructed then.

and no not really little windy thats about it....

Originally Posted By: n3fvg
Originally Posted By: Dually
Is there a oil filter company that makes the best oil filter or is it broking up by application?For example Mann filter vs a Baldwin vs Champion.Thanks Joe

Here's a guy that spent a lot of time and some personal funds studying and cutting up filters. I always thought it was a pretty good resource....

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Will somebody please have the decency to bury that?

1 I have my doubts how much reading the entrails tells. Quality of the media is one of the most important and you can't tell much just looking at it.

2 It is getting old. Oil filters constantly change. That is how oil filters once looked inside.

3 The guy was clueless.

Originally Posted By: n3fvg
Originally Posted By: Dually
Is there a oil filter company that makes the best oil filter or is it broking up by application?For example Mann filter vs a Baldwin vs Champion.Thanks Joe

Here's a guy that spent a lot of time and some personal funds studying and cutting up filters. I always thought it was a pretty good resource....

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Will somebody please have the decency to bury that?

1 I have my doubts how much reading the entrails tells. Quality of the media is one of the most important and you can't tell much just looking at it.

2 It is getting old. Oil filters constantly change. That is how oil filters once looked inside.

3 The guy was clueless.
crackmeup2.gif
The study was updated in 2008 including the change to Ecores by some filter companies. Why don't you admit it, what bugs you is the guy reached conclusions about Purolator, the orange can and especially your beloved Ecores construction as the opposed to the previous classic/traditional metal endcap design, that you don't like. Don't like it, to use your term, tough, don't read it.

Here's another resource with some good pics, etc.
grin2.gif
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/31190-oil-filters-dissected.html

Quote:
crackmeup2.gif
The study was updated in 2008 including the change to Ecores by some filter companies.

Did he finally stop expounding on the "allows dirty oil to drain back to the pan/sump" total stupidity that he did in the original study?

How dare they allow the oil to drain back to the sump in the same condition that it came there in. Subjecting the unfiltered oil ..poor unfiltered oil, to co-mingle with it's former sump inhabitants ..the feeling of hope that it would be filtered ...hope that it would be cleaned ..and having those hopes shattered with the slow leakage of the nitrile ADBV ... How could they do that and still look themselves in the face every morning?
frown.gif

He must have been into media spin at some point.

(doctor finding a barely surviving person due to lack of medical care)

It's a miracle she's alive

Reported on tabloid:

Doctor says: It's a miracle! She's alive!

OP: The best way for you to find your best filter is to do what I did. Use them all, then pick the one you liked the best, or if you cut them open like I did, use the cheapest one. If you do this you will notice every filter will most likely work for your application.

Quote:
Did he finally stop expounding on the "allows dirty oil to drain back to the pan/sump" total stupidity that he did in the original study?
Not sure who he is? But you know I didn't read where Russ Knize, the author of the oil filter dissection study linked to, ever made that statement. I did however, read a similar statement, disregarding the extraneous commentary, made by one Mark Lawrence author of a motorcycle oil/air filter article and study that has a link in the original Knize dissection study. So, perhaps it is his total stupidity.
21.gif

That aside, IMO the minimopar/Knize dissection still has relevance today for anyone interested in oil filter construction. And, as Knize says, one can then make their own judgments.

So after some searching of all that is written in the study, I did manage to also find one sentence relating the adbv not letting dirty oil drain back, So, I guess that one sentence comment negates anything else posted in the study.

And next the only appropriate punishment for the author would be torture of some sort. Hanging by the thumbs, Chinese water torture, pins under nails or perhaps water boarding.

And for the OP, as mentioned, spends some time reading this board. After that your should be able to narrow down your choices based on your OCI and what you are willing to pay.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Not sure who he is? But you know I didn't read where Russ Knize, the author of the oil filter dissection study linked to, ever made that statement. I did however, read a similar statement, disregarding the extraneous commentary, made by one Mark Lawrence author of a motorcycle oil/air filter article and study that has a link in the original Knize dissection study. So, perhaps it is his total stupidity.
21.gif

That aside, IMO the minimopar/Knize dissection still has relevance today for anyone interested in oil filter construction. And, as Knize says, one can then make their own judgments.

"HE" made the statement multiple times in the original study. There was a time before Lawence and that was read off of the minimopar site of the "knizefamily".

Keep in mind it took me a bit of being irritated about it to rationalize it as being a non-issue that could be hard for someone "in the heat of it" to realize.

He got threatened by legal action at one point due to his/her/their web publishing of the original study.

It's unfortuate but we live in a litigious society. Did he/they get sued for making the statement that dirty oil drains back into the oil pan with a non functioning adbv?

Now, I can well understand why some might not have liked the conclusions or comments regarding the construction of, and materials used in some of the filters.

I guess it's fortunate IMO, that it he wasn't forced to take down the study and has survived despite legal threats, especially after all the time, money and effort he put in. Perhaps the warning placed at the end is now there to explain purpose of the study and let folks judge for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back