Best looking oil bottles in last 25 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SR5 that's just awesome ! That's the most unique container I've seen. Holy cow that's cool.

Gasbuggy Mobil 2 .. Awesome sir !!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I liked when Exxon Superflo went with the wide mouth bottles around 1999. It was an honest oil from "an oil company" like "Texaco Havoline" or of course Mobil whom they merged with shortly thereafter. The wide mouths glugged less, poured faster, and kind of fixed the problems inherent with the first 15 years of plastic bottles.

It had the tiger on the label ("Put a tiger in your tank", a motto sadly written off.)

The bottles were a cheery red with paper label and the case of 12 stacked nicely. Sure I like a 5 quart jug like anyone but in the old days these were more rare.

I guess I'm 99% nostalgic.
laugh.gif

That "Put a tiger in your tank" slogan stuck around and was/is used for Esso up here in the GWN, which is an XOM brand.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
That Mobil 2, it really stands for something these days.

Is that a Cavalier it is on/in?

Yes, good eye. I used the car for a photo. I only run the Mobil 2 in my oil drinking Accord.

I liked the when the rage was the engineering of the bottle. Like quakerstates round bottles with the vent in them or the ribbed top Valvoline ones.

Last edited:
Stewie, that's a nice AMOCO container. I like the grade too, "medium".

I've always like the nice blue Valvoline DuraBlend bottles.

1021.05_DuraBlend_10W-30_5L_Profile_AUS.png

Last edited:
But if you need to look serious, a big black drum of Penrite.

SPO508041.jpg

205 L of 100% PAO & Ester, with 1600ppm Zinc and 600 ppm Boron, anyone ?
Take your pick: 0W-20, 5W-30, 10W-40, 15W-50, 20W-60

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR5
But if you need to look serious, a big black drum of Penrite.

SPO508041.jpg

205 L of 100% PAO & Ester, with 1600ppm Zinc and 600 ppm Boron, anyone ?
Take your pick: 0W-20, 5W-30, 10W-40, 15W-50, 20W-60

Reminds me of

Methlamine_Barrel1_preview_featured.jpg

Originally Posted By: Stewie
May even go a little back

4eaa3b6cb5367ad55bfe906b6b4f39ac.jpg

That 5 gallon reuasable oil can seems like it saved a lot of trash back in the day. It might work now.....just pay a higher initial cost to cover the price of the can and keep bringing it back to the oil house to refill from the bulk container.

Of course, there are probably too many brands and grades out there and not enough DIYers to create a market for it. But that could be cool to bring your 5gal to the lube shack, say, VIOC who still runs normal day to day quick lune and light maintenance, but has a corner office to sale bulk oil to guys like us.

Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Something about Mobil 2 I like. I think because it is so rare.

I love it!
I actually prefer Mobil pi/e because it's closer to Mobil 1, but people say I'm being irrational about that.

It's probably because my first job in high school was at a service station, but the round plastic bottles of Quaker State in white are still my #1. Were they the first to incorporate some type of air return in the neck to prevent the glug?

Followed close behind by the clear QS and Supertech bottles of 3 years ago. Mag1 still uses those clear bottles for their synthetic for those wondering.

That 5 gallon reuasable oil can seems like it saved a lot of trash back in the day. It might work now.....just pay a higher initial cost to cover the price of the can and keep bringing it back to the oil house to refill from the bulk container.

Of course, there are probably too many brands and grades out there and not enough DIYers to create a market for it. But that could be cool to bring your 5gal to the lube shack, say, VIOC who still runs normal day to day quick lune and light maintenance, but has a corner office to sale bulk oil to guys like us.

Just a thought.

Some skidoo dealers here will sell 2 stroke injection oil from their bulk tank, I used to just use old windshield washer jugs... Nothing as cool as a metal can.

I had some old black Castrol Edge 5L jugs with the large hex head cap. They also had the same size cap on the 1L bottle with a side light too which was handy for refilling and measuring oil out for 2 stroke mixing or adding a half quart to the car. They looked the best to me as they were very useful.

My favorites are the standard silver bottle Mobil 1 and the Yellow Pennzoil. I remember the Mobil 1 bottles even before I was old enough to drive and "knew" that Mobil 1 was THE top tier stuff...

Same with Pennzoil...i knew from a young age that yellow and black was Pennzoil. Granted everyone where i grew up used to tell tails of how it and QS was made from wax and sludged everything but thats another story. I swear I've heard those stories a million times...and from people i trust! Regardless its top tier now.

Now thats good marketing...glad they have both stayed the course. I wonder if my kids will remember this kind of stuff...

The worst thing a company can do is constantly change its product name and message imho.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Just a thought.

Some skidoo dealers here will sell 2 stroke injection oil from their bulk tank, I used to just use old windshield washer jugs... Nothing as cool as a metal can.

I had some old black Castrol Edge 5L jugs with the large hex head cap. They also had the same size cap on the 1L bottle with a side light too which was handy for refilling and measuring oil out for 2 stroke mixing or adding a half quart to the car. They looked the best to me as they were very useful.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Stewie, that's a nice AMOCO container. I like the grade too, "medium".

I've always like the nice blue Valvoline DuraBlend bottles.

1021.05_DuraBlend_10W-30_5L_Profile_AUS.png

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I always liked the clear QS bottles, but I've never actually used their oil. My local Walmart had some clear quarts of some QS syn blend. I didn't actually check out the label though. I take it this isn't the current product?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I think Lubrigold synthetic (a Warren oil product) has some awesome bottles:

Nice !! They do look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back