best locally purchased ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been happy with my Craftsmans because its just about all I've ever used and they always get the job done. But there have been a few instances where the little reversal pawl has frustrated me and even gotten me in trouble once. When I was using Husky tools I always admired the Craftsman for the easy one handed reversal 'on the fly' capability.

I need a 3/8" ratchet that has the reversal that requires two handed engagement. I don't know how else to explain it but it just does not have the black pawl as craftsmans do that can easily switch over when you're in tight areas. And when you're all twisted and working backwards around a corner, having it flip can make things bad.

So, what store can I go into and get a good 3/8 that doesn't reverse so easy. I'm not ready for a tool truck but would like to try a step up from Sears. I'm heavily stocked in Sears but I would just like to try a step up for the aforementioned problem and just to compare.

thanks

Try ACE hardware ratchets. I have a 3/8 and a 1/4" that I use for outdoor stuff. Both require you to turn the knob on the back to change direction. Their branded 3/8 runs about 15 dollars. Not Snap On, but about on par with Craftsman.

Dave

Go to autozone and get a duralast ratchet. They are reasonably priced and well made.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Duralast-3-8-in-drive-flex-head-ratchet/_/N-25el?counter=3&filterByKeyWord=duralast+3%2F8&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=482538_0_0_

Last edited:
I was an aircraft mechanic and tried several ratchets from all over. My absolute favorite was the Radian. It was a friction clutch that never wore out. No clicking just postive locking wherever you stopped.

Craftsman finish would flake off and contaminate the equipment. Craftsman also was a very loose ratchet and ineffective in tight areas. I would prefer Bonnie, S&K or even Husky over the Craftsman. Although I used my tools to earn my living unlike a hobbiest mechanic that doesn't work under time contraints that would make me very picky.

I have a 72-tooth SK Tuff 1 ratchet that has a thumbwheel for selecting direction. It's very hard to unintentionally change direction with that ratchet. My Kobalt swivel head does too.

Harbor Freight's composite ratchets also have a mechanism that's very resistant to accidentally changing direction.

A round head sounds like what you describe. In general they are stronger than pear shaped. Sears should sell something locally, what brand in stock I don't know.

HD sells made in China Husky round heads, and musa ones online. The China are just as good from the looks of it, I have the musa, the technology transfer and know how assimilation is nearly complete in hand tools.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
A round head sounds like what you describe. In general they are stronger than pear shaped. Sears should sell something locally, what brand in stock I don't know.

HD sells made in China Husky round heads, and musa ones online. The China are just as good from the looks of it, I have the musa, the technology transfer and know how assimilation is nearly complete in hand tools.

I agree. A round head, rather than a pear shaped head ratchet sounds like what you want. Pear heads have the back and forth flip switch, while round heads use a turn of the head. Locally available is the difficult part, since I would suggest something like Williams or SK. How about something like a Gearwrench rotohead? I think these can be found at searss.

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-81223-Ratchet-Cushion-2-Piece/dp/B001M0O1BG

Last edited:
I like the feel of the gearwrench rotohead.. I don't own one.. but it's a nice design..
I'm starting to like the duralast (of all the tools I can use) ratchet that resembles the Snap-On classic pear shape.
it's not fine tooth, but it's handled quite a beating.

Sears still sells via the catalog the round head fine tooth ratchet. I bought mine in 1989 and it's still original, never been replaced, and it's nice & tight. I really love it, except the handle isn't to long so it's not ideal for everything.

Sears also has a smooth ratchet that's pear headed, it's in between fine tooth and regular, feels light, but it's very strong.. gets scratched easily though..

Well, if you're opening yourself up to the Internet. By all means check out SK, Williams, and Wright. A bit cheaper an Snap On, but I absolutely love my Williams B52 and S52.

Had trouble with my Craftsman ratchets today. Got pear shaped ones in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 and none of them had a fine enough ratcheting action for what I was doing (installing a new p/s pump). Thanks to this thread just ordered a 1/4 drive round head and if I like it, probably get the 3/8 drive version as well.

I hate that I'm admitting this, but I have really gotten attached to my Harbor Freight composite ratchet. It's been in service for a long time and continues to serve well.

If I ever get sloppy removing a battery cable, nothing happens. No short. Nothing

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Had trouble with my Craftsman ratchets today. Got pear shaped ones in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 and none of them had a fine enough ratcheting action for what I was doing (installing a new p/s pump). Thanks to this thread just ordered a 1/4 drive round head and if I like it, probably get the 3/8 drive version as well.

So whatcha get?

I have a great neck long handle regular tooth ratchet with the flex head. I rarely use it, but had to last weekend.
Well.. the stubborn cross-threaded o2 sensor got the best of the ratchet and I got knuckle busted.
I shouldn't be surprised, but I was!
Now to go back to AZ and argue for a new one. (the az next to me doesn't like to warrant anything).
But I like the harbor freight composite myself.. it's actually my main ratchet, fine tooth, the handle cleans easily, it's dropped in oil, tranny fluid, gear oil, been run over, AND thrown across the garage.. it just keeps humming.

Originally Posted By: ajchien

So whatcha get?

Williams MM-610 Shallow 10MM socket
Williams B-70 3\8" Drive Ratchet Spinner
Williams MFE-6 1\4" Drive Flexible Extension 6"
Williams M-52A 1\4" Drive Round Head Ratchet 5"

Awesome!

How do you like it?

I've been looking at the M-52a, been getting conflicting reports if it's a 72 tooth ratchet vs. a 46 tooth ratchet. Can you tell?

Originally Posted By: ajchien

So whatcha get?

Williams MM-610 Shallow 10MM socket
Williams B-70 3\8" Drive Ratchet Spinner
Williams MFE-6 1\4" Drive Flexible Extension 6"
Williams M-52A 1\4" Drive Round Head Ratchet 5"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back