Best filter for extended oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best filter for extended oci would be to make sure the air filter and intake plumbing is well sealed

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: MotorsportsX
yes its a cartridge filter in my bmw. i run platinum euro 10-12k. I have been using napa golds/platinums but after reading some more i see those aren't the best choice. (but the couple of uoa's i did didnt show any excessive contamination)

Mann.

They are already suitable for the 30,000 km OCI (if needed) and they are the OEM for BMW

Some Air filters in BMW are MANN or Mahle.
Oil filters in BMW are in 90% of cases Mahle as OEM.

Mann it is then.

Get OEM BMW filter! You can go with Mahle (OEM supplier for most BMW oil filters), MANN, Hengst. However, difference between OEM and MANN is few bucks at most.
As for FRAM, NAPA etc. avoid that. Based on photos I have seen of FRAm filters in Euro applications, I would run at most AC filter from FRAM. Oil filter is BIG NO!

I had several Mahle filters (made in Austria) rusted (on the inside) when I bought them or after a few time in my stash, so now I stay away from them. They were relatively fresh from the factory when bought, since my supplier had just switch at this time from Purlux to Mahle.

Now I only buy Purflux or Mann filters
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
What thread did I miss that make the ultra so much better than the WIX XP?

Multiple threads discussing that.

...are you guys serious that fram is making a good filter?

huh?

Do some research, the Fram Ultra Synthetic is an excellent filter which is why it is so often recommended on BITOG. It's also priced well for a filter that can easily do 15k in all but the dirtiest engines.

Wix XP/Napa Platinum filters are well made but are in the flow over filtration club with a very low efficiency rate.

I love the Fram Ultra and the WM price is hard to beat. Pick your poison but FU gets my vote. That sounds bad sorry...

So are you claiming that there were no bypass filtration systems in the 1970s, or that they were grossly inferior to the ones you link? It doesn't really matter I guess since there is really no demonstrable benefit for such a system for a typical gasoline engine passenger car.

If you're so sure about what you say (and claim I need forgiveness), how about this - you run your car on whatever filter you want - bypass or single-pass. But you have to use API SE Valvoline 10W-40 out to the manufacturer's recommended OCI. This is what I used regularly in my 1974 Buick Regal. You think the filter - whichever one you pick is going to make any difference?

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Originally Posted By: kschachn
There is a much larger differential between the quality of motor oil in the 1970s and today than there is between oil filters.

Really?

http://www.bhagyashreeaccessories.com/company-profile.html

https://www.puradyn.com/2-1-company-history/ https://www.puradyn.com/filter-elements/

http://www.ntzfilter.com/popup/slide26.asp

Of course, 99.97% effective filters at 2 microns were common in the 70s; along with patented bypass filtration that replenishes the TBN. (Sarcasm).

Father, forgive this man; he know not what he speak.

The Fram Ultra is a very good built filter. As for the other fram filters i see they have improved also.
I have been using the ultra for a while now no problems to date.

Microgreen makes screw on filters that contain a built-in bypass filter down to 2 microns. They claim that by using their filters you can extend your oil change intervals. Google them & decide for yourself. I use them as high quality filters but I change oil and filter at the car manufacturer's recommended interval.

They're expensive, so I only buy them during their occasional half off sales.

I'm a big fan of the Fleetguard Stratapore Venturi filter, have one on my Dodge, and a centrifuge filter would be even better! Unfortunately none of my vehicles are big enough to have an air (brake) system to run the centrifuge, so I have to settle for Ultras & occasional Royal Purple filters.

Wix xp
Napa platinum
Amsoil
Something else?

Go

Fram Ultra with a Filtermag is a powerful combo.

Micro Greens built in bypass /parallel flow system scrubs down to 2 microns.

Bosch distance platinum - performs like an ultra for 2x the money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back