Best comfort dress shoes?

For few months I am trying to figure out which dress shoes would be best for 10-12 miles walk a day?
Several times a year I have to do 5-7 day trip to Washington DC, where I do 10-12 miles a day of walking. It must be dress shoe that goes with suit and tie (no flexibility).
Last trip absolutely killed me! I had 4 blisters and serious pain from them. I am contemplating Skechers but their design is definitely not classic. They have some classic designs, but not any more comfortable than my Oxford type shoe now.
Any suggestions?
Johnson & Murphy
1700779275185.jpeg

My Ecco shoes were comfortable for long walks, but they were not a dress model. Much more of a casual shoe.

My latest pair of Johnston & Murphy are absolutely a dress shoe and I would have no problem walking a long distance in them. Also, waterproof, with an all weather sole. Mine are brown, but black is available.

This pair, they run a bit big, so try them on before buying:

All my Eccos were dress shoes, no resemblance to a sneaker at all.

Haix offers "dress" shoes in their police line. Intended for officers who need to spend a lot of time on their feet, and who might need the grip of a rubber sole, and when boots might be inappropriate.
Not something I'd wear on a black tie event, as those are derbys and on top of that a trained eye will immediately spot the rubber sole, but if the people around you are not wearing bespoke suits, you'd probably be able to get away with these.
Haix is pricey but quality usually is worth it (all of their shoes and boots are made in Europe - either Bavaria or Croatia).

Examples:

With cushioned sole - if you are really walking 20km a day, those are what I would get:

Traditional construction, but also with rubber sole:

Last edited:
Lots to keep in mind when shoe performance is involved.
1) One part of the "bottom line" is support. You pay for supportive shoes PERIOD.
2) Many of the names offered here can be found in "outlet stores". Such stores stock cheaper shoe lines.
3) Super comfy shoes right-out-of-the-box are little better than slippers if you're talking about walking 12 miles a day.
4) In city settings you'll be walking on pavement. You want a shoe with a hard heel and a hard leather sole. Having 'bouncy cushions' on your feet in town is a myth. You're not slamming your feet down like an athlete might. Rather you're just touching the surface of the concrete as you glide over it.
5) In fact, a truly separate heel is oft cited as a requirement for a shoe to be dress.
6) NEVER walk in "guards shoes"; that is to say shoes with completely flat soles. Those are for people who have to stand all day long. I made the mistake of wearing a pair of Drew Tahoes while giving a tour of NYC. The drag killed my legs.
7) You may need to buy real old fashioned leather shoes at around $300 (or more) a pair to get shoes which will break in. That's where your support comes from. Mushy, $40- $70 outlet shoes won't do the job.
8) Believe it or not, good posture is part of walking well. I see droopy-bottomed, slumping trudgers all day long.

Not too long ago, a poster here asked for a shoe recommendation. I had just bought a pair of $70 somethings from an outlet and thought I found the pearl. I praised this shoe as a winner.
However, later that week, the structure of the shoe just went soft. The shoe "broke in" alright. It just sprung, for lack of a better word,

Also, if you get Eccos, make sure to wear 'em as often as you can. Myself and family members have experienced Eccos' sole material sweating its oil. The shoes became gooky, sticky messes. I was very disappointed and will never patronize their company again.

Back