Best bang for the buck oil now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Within the last few 2k miles on my car ('02 Toyota Corolla) I was about a quart and a half low of oil so I stopped in the local Autozone to get a Qt to top it off. They didn't have any V-MaxLife in 5W-30 but they had Motorcraft Synblend in 5W-30. I purchased a Qt to top-off my car. Then a 1k miles later and 1k miles before my next oil change I topped off my engine (1/2 Qt) with Rotella 5W-40. Up to this point my oil was normal (light brown). After the next 1k miles I noticed the oil was noticeably darker and the drain looking way more sludge-like then my last oil change of from a conventional oil that was in the car before I purchased it used. So in my opinion from my observation I think the detergents in the Rotella 5W-40 did a great job cleaning the sludge in my engine. Now I am using Castrol Edge 5W-30 from that recent sale Advance has and only have about a 100 miles or less on it and I can't even read the level the oil is at because it is so clear. I'll just have to wait and see on the next oil change how much of a difference my crankcase looks then now.

So from my limited experience of Rotella and from advice from another forum from BITOG to use Rotella to remove sludge I can atest that this may be the best inexpensive route to remove sludge from your car.

~J
19.gif

Originally Posted By: killagt
What is best bang for the buck for , dino, High Mile, and syn.

Here what I Think,

Dino: Quaker State under 10 dollar for 5 quart
High mile : Penzoil High miles under 14 dollar for 5 quart
Syn : Quaker State syn under 20 dollar for 5 quart.

What your ?
20.gif

The QS for dino and syn are correct. For the high mile choice, Valvoline MaxLife hands down. It's the same $14, but it's 30% synthetic!

In canada it depends what's on sale at Walmart.
Dino-PYB,VWB,Castol-$10 a jug, and usually one of the 3 on sale at any time
HM- Valvoline HM- $15-$17 a jug, usually in stock
Syn-PP- $22 a jug, only when on sale, and sells out quickly

I found some Quaker State 100% Synthetic 10w30 in the plastic bottles clearenced at Meijer for $1 a quart and they also had some quart bottles of Mobil 1 15w50 there for $.69 a quart. I stock up like this all the time.

Originally Posted By: willix
In MN. at Fleet Farm stores. Mystic JT8 18.95 2 gallon jug.

Got a similar 2 gal jug from Tractor Supply when it was on sale. Its in my Bonneville now. Ive used in the past Mystik when the big jug is on sale, worked just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back