Best all-season 16" with good snow performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry the link didn't work.....the two tires were:

Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology

and Firestone Precision Touring.

My Hankook H727 tires have performed very well in the snow. Consumer Reports rated them "very good" for snow traction and I agree.

We had a couple good snows in my area this year. We're talking in the 7+ inches range. I never got stuck and I was blasting by trucks and many other vehicles that couldn't move. I had no trouble going, turning or stopping.

I'm really impressed with the snow performance of these tires. I've previously owned tires that were horrible in the snow.

These are the best as far as I've used for snow, rain and dry conditions.

Michelin http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Exalto+A%2FS&partnum=055HR6EXAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Last edited:
Since you already have two sets of wheels and you are in Boston I would suggest decent winter tires in 195/65R15 size and high performance all season or pure summer tires for spring/summer/autumn in 205/55R16.
Do you have room to store second set?

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Since you already have two sets of wheels and you are in Boston I would suggest decent winter tires in 195/65R15 size and high performance all season or pure summer tires for spring/summer/autumn in 205/55R16.
Do you have room to store second set?

Krzys

Unfortunately, I wouldn't have anywhere to store them, which is a shame, as that would certainly be the ideal solution. (Plus it would keep the alloys nicer for fall/spring/summer).

I am hoping, however, for the majority of dry and rain driving, this size difference plus some new, better rubber, will make a big difference. I'm thinking of getting the TRD front strut brace and rear sway bar installed, too. (I don't see the need for lowering springs, though).

PS. Thank you to everyone who replied, I'm certainly going to do some reading on all the suggested tires. Hopefully the alloys will come by next week so I can get them installed and going.

Last edited:
One more thing in regards to your new wheels, as I am not sure that I understood correctly.

If the wheels are after market wheels, they may require a different lug nut to fit the wheels smaller lug holes. The OE lugs will be too FAT! If the new wheels are Toyota Aluminum wheels, you will be just fine
laugh.gif

Enjoy!
CB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
If the wheels are after market wheels, they may require a different lug nut to fit the wheels smaller lug holes.

He wrote:
Quote:
I've ordered a set of brand new Toyota OEM allows

Presumably he meant 'alloys'.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Nokian WR G2 by a long shot. Better in winter with 35k on them than brand new and high touted Conti DWS ExtremeContacts.

If they seem really pricey I have had wonderful luck with John & Son's tires in Manchester NH. Drove 45mins each way to save $200 on a set.
And you have had them BOTH on the same car under the same conditions?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If the wheels are after market wheels, they may require a different lug nut to fit the wheels smaller lug holes.

He wrote:
Quote:

Yes, thank you. I did reread his post and understand now
smile.gif

He wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for catching that. I did indeed mean the genuine Toyota alloys. I got them from a reputable seller on eBay with 99% positive feedback on over 3500 sales. They said that they are OEM take-offs from a brand new 2013 that was never registered. (These same 16" wheels came standard on the "S" in 2011, and were an option for my LE). I wanted to keep a very stock look.

Originally Posted By: smc733
I've driven a Corolla with 205/55/16s and it's a world of difference, so I think this is the cheaper option to hold me for a few years.

So here is the thing... if you want a tire that has a quick steering response (feels more sporty than what you currently have), then this will unfortunately not give you good snow performance. There is a trade off there. If you pick a tire that's great in the snow, you may be disappointed with its dry weather performance.

With that said, Conti DWS would be another tire worth a look in your situation. While the Nokian WR I suggested earlier may be better in snow, you just might be disappointed with it during summer.

Yea, I figure snow performance will be a minimum requirement, I just need a tire that won't be awful, fortunately, I don't think it will take much to be better than what I have now in terms of a better steering response.

I'm just hoping to eliminate the wandering feel of the steering on the highway, which the 205/55/16 I drove didn't seem to have. I figure making sure I get a quality tire can only help seal the deal.

I recently moved from a set of 195/65/15 Michelin Energy Saver A/S to a 215/45/17 set of Michelin Primacy MXM4. The wandering feel that you describe has been completely eliminated and the steering response has greatly improved. I think you'd quite happy with the Primacy MXM4.

Originally Posted By: Rand
its also hard to find in the US.

$153 a piece + free shipping at tiresbywebdotcom

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I recently moved from a set of 195/65/15 Michelin Energy Saver A/S to a 215/45/17 set of Michelin Primacy MXM4. The wandering feel that you describe has been completely eliminated and the steering response has greatly improved. I think you'd quite happy with the Primacy MXM4.

That's good news, any chance to not have to modify the suspension will be welcome. Do you think I will still get the same effect moving to the 205/55/16s? I felt the 17s may have been too big (and were another $100). Did I make the wrong decision?

Unless you lower that Corolla, it would look comical with 17" rims, IMO.

Yea, I like the way the 16" wheels look like on this car. I've thought about doing a moderate lowering using the TRD springs, but I'm really hoping a larger wheel and better tires will be enough to do the job.

Yea, I like the way the 16" wheels look like on this car. I've thought about doing a moderate lowering using the TRD springs, but I'm really hoping a larger wheel and better tires will be enough to do the job.

I think that the 16" wheels/tires will look great on the Corolla
smile.gif

I think that the 16" wheels/tires will look great on the Corolla
smile.gif

And too, the tires available in the 205-55-16 size is greater than in the 17" size, which is more catered to the HP tires. Even though HP tires is what you may want, should you choose something less performance oriented, you'll have a larger selection in 16"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back