Best <$100 4 season tire for Honda Accord??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sr17
He also said he felt I should not have been steered to wards the Destiny's in the first place.

I applaud them for that. This really is their mistake. They should never have recommended a T-rated tire for a V-rated application.

So the in-stock choices he suggested was either the Michelin MXV4 which I believe is "H" rated, and around $10 more per tire, but I would get them at no extra charge, or the Pirelli P4's, which are a couple of bucks less than the Destiny's.

I don't think the P4s are appropriate either. You really need a grand touring tire. The Michelin Primacy MXV4 is an excellent tire. For lesser money, the BFGoodrich Advantage T/A also gets good reviews. Do they not have the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring? That's Goodyear's new grand touring tire, intended to compete with Michelin's Primacy MXV4.

The MXV4s ride more harshly than the Destinys. They were quieter than the Destinys. I don't think you are limited to in stock tires. I would call him back and tell him you want the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Treads. They can get them in 3 days or so. Maintain the warranty prescribed rotations,and when they wear out at 30-40k,you will get a credit applied toward the purchase of a new set of tires. They are Very quiet and Very comfortable! Possibly 1 mpg less. I'm running the Tourings right now and will not get them again. They are a little too stiff for my 02 V6 Accord and have more noise than the regular Comfort Treads. The Tourings get the best mpg of any tire I have run,though. I prefer quiet and comfortable to better mpg and better handling. You pay your money and take your choice. The Goodyears have an 80k warranty.

Hokiefyd, Honda prescribes "H" rated tires for the LX Accord. "V" rated tires are for the 6 cyl model.

You said you went to the Everett store. They have the Bridgestone RE960's in stock. It's H rated with a 40,000 mile warranty.

brihha.ang.jpg

They also have the Primacy MXV4. It's also a H rated with a 60,000 mile warranty. I don't know if you can get the $70 rebate, seeing you are Canadian?

mmihh2.ang.jpg

I would go with the MXV4's because they are a newer design. It has great reviews on Tirerack.

We have the MXV4 on the 300C they are very quiet,smooth and a good rain tire but they are lacking in snow and ice,poor traction for these conditions and the traction control dosen't help.

Last edited:
Since you're thinking about Michelin tires, look into the Exalto A/S. Very postive reviews. Since I bought my new 10' Focus, I've been strongly considering changing out the OEM Hankook H725's. I'm leaning towards the Exalto's. $70 rebate. $105 ea. @ Sam's Club. The Bridgestone 960's look good also, but may not handle winter snow conditions as well as other tires. Hope things work out!

I realize that the MXV4 has pro's and con's like any other tire, but I think that based on a lot of positive reviews and recommendations from some of you, it will be the tire I am going for.

It has the proper rating for my car and because I am getting the $70 mail-in rebate, and DT has agreed to let me have them for no extra charge over what I paid for the Destiny's, it turns out to be a very good deal - $88.50 per tire after mail-in rebate! (regular $119)

I still feel that the P4's might be very good, and probably beating the MXV4's in snow, but I am going to bite the bullet and live with my decision, so hopefully it is not a bad one.

sr17,
You'll do fine with the MXV4's maybe, even better since Discount Tire isn't going to charge you any more money to install them. And the MXV4 do score the highest in the CR tire test of "H" rated tires even doing better in snow/ice according to their test than the P4's in the "T" catigory and equaly as quite according to their db meter. The P4 T's actually do better than the MXV4 H's in "wet braking".

Comparing "T" & "H" rated tires is more like comparing different kinds of apples; Red Delicious or Macintosh. Excuse my spelling! Same goes for Standard Touring and Grand Touring. Even TheTireRack will tell you that. The catigorys of "Standard or Grand" is more of how the Tire MFG wants to market the tire than it is the performance of the tires themselves. That's why the ratings/reviews tell a better story. It's a very gray area isn't it?

There are Standard Touring "H" speed rated tires and there are Grand Touring "T" speed rated tires. A little confusing ins't it?

There are T rated tires that actually do some things better(dry handling) than an H rated tire and visa-versa. And, not all H or V rated tires are noisy or have high rolling risistance. Some higher speed rated tires have longer tread life than some T speed rated tires. Tires of the same model, such as Pirelli P4 or ContinentalProContact T or H score the same in their level of noise "as one another" even if the Continental's score different than the Prielli's. The differences being that the H should have better dry handling and firmer ride quality but, not always! Still confused?

One must decide what is needed or wanted more for their driving style/climate and what will you be willing to sacrafice. It's a tough decision isn't it?

Last edited:
Interesting,but you fogot the most important thing...............The Specific Vehicle,on which,the tire is going to be mounted. "A Firm ride" is fine for a Camry.....,But, Not So Much for an Accord. You have to have an Accord to know this.

Hokiefyd, Honda prescribes "H" rated tires for the LX Accord. "V" rated tires are for the 6 cyl model.

Thank you for that correction!

I still wouldn't go below an H rating. The H speed rating is typically the minimum rating where tires have both: a strong cap ply to prevent expansion at speed and reduce road hazards, and an "A" rating for both traction and temperature. Yes, there are exceptions of course. And like Char_Baby said above, not all H-rated tires are top performers, and not all T-rated tires are worthless wonders. There are a lot of variables to be sure.

I see that Pirelli actually sells an H-rated P4, and it's available in your size. If you want the P4, that's the version I'd get. You can see that the T-rated P4 is rated B for temperature, but the H-rated P4 is rated A for temperature.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Interesting,but you fogot the most important thing...............The Specific Vehicle,on which,the tire is going to be mounted. "A Firm ride" is fine for a Camry.....,But, Not So Much for an Accord. You have to have an Accord to know this.

It depends what the owner wants! I've actually had several Accords over the years and well, I sort of agree with you but, many people don't want a firmer riding Camry although a little bit of help wouldn't hurt IMHO. And on the other hand, most Accord owners want a balance of ride/handling. Every owner chooses their own particular ride/handling BIAS! No Accord or Camry owner wants the exact same thing.

And I do agree that the same tire on two different vehicles will react differently. People need to do their homework and figure out what they want in a tire reguardless how the MFG set up the car. Your never going to get a BUICK ride in an ACCORD I don't care what tire you install. The suspension is not capable of giving that type of ride. You can't make a Buick handle like a Honda. There aren't even any aftermarket parts to do so. Older Buick is what Im talking about.

I bought Accords for their reliability and others whom I know buy them for their prowess. I depends what you want.

Last edited:
I agree that each Ride/Drive/Driver is unique. The load index is more important than the speed rating in my experience. I found the Tire Rack and DT reviews to be interesting and informative, but, many are simply inaccurate. If the op is driving mostly smooth highway then the Primacys will be quieter than the Destinys and handle slightly better. If the op is driving over rough expansion joints and/or rough city streets,then the Primacys are harsh in my 02 V6 Accord. Granted my 02 V6 Accord is the most harsh ride of any Accord I have owned,driven,or ridden in. I've had the oem Michelins,the Primacys,the Destinys,the Comfort Treads,and now the new Comfort Tread Tourings. I will be going back to the all season Assurance Comfort Treads next time. Quietest,most comfortable tire I have ever run on Accords.

I will be getting the back from Discount Tire within the next hour, and then I have 130 miles of driving to get back home, so it will not be long until I know whether my decision was the right one or not. Fingers crossed!

Many thanks for a lot of great feedback on this!

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I agree that each Ride/Drive/Driver is unique. The load index is more important than the speed rating in my experience. I found the Tire Rack and DT reviews to be interesting and informative, but, many are simply inaccurate. If the op is driving mostly smooth highway then the Primacys will be quieter than the Destinys and handle slightly better. If the op is driving over rough expansion joints and/or rough city streets,then the Primacys are harsh in my 02 V6 Accord. Granted my 02 V6 Accord is the most harsh ride of any Accord I have owned,driven,or ridden in. I've had the oem Michelins,the Primacys,the Destinys,the Comfort Treads,and now the new Comfort Tread Tourings. I will be going back to the all season Assurance Comfort Treads next time. Quietest,most comfortable tire I have ever run on Accords.

I do agree that the Comfort Treads are a nice tire. I currently have them on my wifes Lexus and they are a perfect tire for that car. Just put on Hankook Optimo H727 on my daughters Mazda3 and they too are nice and quiet maybe even rival the Assurance Comfort Treads. And, the Hankook H727 score much higher than the G/Y ACT's in many catigories and too, for our applications, the G/Y's are more expensive than any other tire that I have purchaced thus far, while I'm buying at that time. If the G/Y ACT scored higher and had better reviews from owners I may pay the extra price but, the competition is too great and less money to want the G/Y's for our other vehicles.

Using Pirelli P4's on my '04 Altima in the stock 16" for the foul weather and Good/Year Eagle LS in 17" for the summer which suck but are OK for the summer and look great. Firestone INDY500 on the '80 Firebird FORMULA(driven summers only).

On our daily drivers of course, we need an all season tire that do well in all weather including snow/ice but, don't need full blown snow/ice tires as we have great snow removal in Western NY. We like firm but not harsh riding vehicles that handle well all on their own and we/I like to use comfortable riding tires that score high in all catigories when tested by whom ever. We like the firm steering, tight cornering and straight line highway tracking while not being punishing while city driving over salt ridden pot holed roads. Through research, we have met our criteria when buying vehicles and tires....Doing Good!

All of the Accords that I have owned were 4 cyl. I don't need more in an Accord as their small engines are great! I have driven the V6 versions and I don't like the ride for a Honda. The Altima is kind of the same in the V6 as mine is a 4 banger. Nicer balance of ride/handling for a DD.

Since the competition has gotten much better over the years, I have moved away from Honda so that we can try other nice vehicles on the market. Although Accords are still great cars, it kind'a makes Honda less spectacular these days. My dad always drove Chryslers until he bought GM and Ford and says, "man, I didn't know what I was missing".

I usually...usually buy the standard engine/susspension in the vehicles that we like and are more than satisfied as compared to the upper trim levels of vehicles of a couple of decades ago.

Gotta buy what you like!

so, I now have 130+ miles on the Primacy MXV4's, and the difference is astounding! Gone is the skittish harsh ride and the road noise is much better, although I suspect that on a Honda Accord there is only so much you can do on that front.

The car feels planted like never before.

Now if only Michelin would add some eye candy to their tires - they are just plain boring to look at compared to Good Year, Pirelli and Bridgestone. But off course, in the end it is the ride that counts, and on that front it is a true winner!

At least until I get to try them in snow, which according to the weather forecast could be as soon as tomorrrow.

Once again, thanks to all for great feedback. If not for this forum I would be suffering those awful Destiny tires for 80K miles or more - I always thought that tires is like software - once it is installed, there is no way back.

Discount Tire made things right and certainly earned my continued loyalty.

On a different note. On the side of the tire it prominently says "Made in Canada", but to get the best price we have to buy them in the US - go figure.

Just remember one thing: When you asked for opinions on tire, oil, oil filter, ATF ... then you should listen to people who actually use these products and gave their inputs, don't listen to the sale person.

Good for you. If you like the tires you have,that's the best you can do. I simply had to get a soft,comfortable tire,like the GYCTs because my Honda was "beating" me daily. The 4 cylinders seem to have a more compliant ride than the V6s in my model year.

I was able to drive in the snow this morning as we had a fairly significant snowfall in Vancouver overnight. First impression is ok, although traction is probably not the best.

I would say that the Kumho's were probably slightly better in the snow.

I still have no regrets - my Accord has never before been this fun to drive. Even my wife, who usually pays no attention to such things, said that she is impressed especially with the feel of the steering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back