C&P of Virgin AC Delco PF48

My son is going to change the oil in his 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie with a Hemi. He picked Mobil 1 5w30 and an AC Delco PF48. Walmart didn’t have the Mopar filter in stock.

I bought a spare one of these to cut open for my own curiosity. It seems like a decent filter probably made by ECore…? It was $4.12 so very affordable. It was cheaper than the MP10060.

Just my $0.02

Attachments

• IMG_2355.jpeg
    IMG_2355.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2353.jpeg
    IMG_2353.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2352.jpeg
    IMG_2352.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2351.jpeg
    IMG_2351.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2350.jpeg
    IMG_2350.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2348.jpeg
    IMG_2348.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 89
Why? How much metal does a Dodge engine make during one oil change! Lol

Peace of mind, I guess. Larger filter area means less bypass events and less restriction to flow. In a lot of cases, a filter size isn't chosen by what is ideal but rather what will physically fit in an engine bay and still flow and last sufficiently. I would rather move the filter to somewhere it has room and run a larger filter.

Looks like a Champion filter, probably the same filter as the Supertech ST10060.

On the 2023 model year is the electronic power steering rack still in the way preventing a larger filter similar to the 2016?
I haven’t looked but my son did mention the steering rack prevents a larger filter from being installed.

Just my $0.02

My son is going to change the oil in his 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie with a Hemi. He picked Mobil 1 5w30 and an AC Delco PF48. Walmart didn’t have the Mopar filter in stock.

I bought a spare one of these to cut open for my own curiosity. It seems like a decent filter probably made by ECore…? It was $4.12 so very affordable. It was cheaper than the MP10060.

Just my $0.02
Maybe ZeeOSix can confirm if First Brands makes this. Solid choice OP. Thank You for cut and post. 🇺🇸🇨🇦🍻

Just not a Fram guy. Long story but I won’t buy Fram, drink Pepsi or buy a Chevy to name a few things. Quirky I know but it’s me.

Just my $0.02
Ummm-you do realize First Brands owns Champ AND Fram, right?? The lines have been blurring somewhat, too, the Fram Endurance and Royal Purple full synthetic filters sure appear to be Champ made! That's like saying GMC is OK and Chevrolet is bad...

Ummm-you do realize First Brands owns Champ AND Fram, right?? The lines have been blurring somewhat, too, the Fram Endurance and Royal Purple full synthetic filters sure appear to be Champ made! That's like saying GMC is OK and Chevrolet is bad...
I guess so but you aren't getting a Fram with metal end caps for $4!

Just my $0.02

I guess so but you aren't getting a Fram with metal end caps for $4!

Just my $0.02
A lot of the AC Delco Champ/First Brands filters do not have metal end caps an example of this would be the AC Delco PF47E.

While I personally prefer metal end cap I have yet to see the end caps be a failure point on something like the FRAM Extra Guard or Tough Guard. End cap material is not really as important as you might think.

The fiber end caps are often woven directly into the media where as metal end caps are glued on. How often do you see a pleat pull apart from a fiber end cap? We've had quite a few cases posted on here of pleats coming unglued from metal end caps. In some cases, the metal end caps are just lightly glued onto a fiber end cap. There's plenty of cases posted here where someone cut open a filter and the metal end cap just falls out of the can, not even connected.

In some cases, the metal end caps are just lightly glued onto a fiber end cap.
Never seen metal end caps glued to a fiber end cap - ie, sounds like doubled end caps from the description.

Back