Disintegrating Mobil 1?

I had the same experience when I tried a Purolator on my sons Jeep Wrangler. I would not used that oring for feat that bits of that coating would get into the oil. Went back to Mopar filters

My OEM 2.7L filter did the same when I changed it at 1K. Lots of red flakes that I had to dig out of the cap grooves and housing threads. There are two o-rings on the Ford. Switched to FRAM Endurance and it has not happened again.

Last I checked M&H makes Motorcraft filters too.

First time I've ever seen anything like this. I've been using AC Delco filters for the past 6 years or so, but decided to put a Mobil 1 filter on, which I used to use on cars I don't have anymore.

I get the AC Delco filter off, start putting the O ring from the Mobil 1 filter on, and it literally disintergrates as I slide it on. That gunk is the outer layer of the O ring coming off. Totally got everywhere and was a PITA to clean out of the housing. What would cause this? The filter looks legit I think
How many years old is that disintegrated filter? I'm betting several and also betting it was kept in a garage that sees extremes of all four seasons of our earth.

Keep your old filters at basically one temperature range. I keep mine inside my home (finished basement) where it's usually 68-78 degrees and drier humidity levels.

The o-ring appears caught in the threads!

No o-ring would survive that misplacement.

The o-ring should be in the groove about 1/4” lower on the housing.
I know it's not in the right groove 🤣 down to the thread is as far as I was able to install it before I disintegrated, I didn't even bother seating it properly in it's groove because it was already a goner. That's why I chucked and it went to Wal-Mart for an AC Delco

How many years old is that disintegrated filter? I'm betting several and also betting it was kept in a garage that sees extremes of all four seasons of our earth.

Keep your old filters at basically one temperature range. I keep mine inside my home (finished basement) where it's usually 68-78 degrees and drier humidity levels.
I'd say it was a little less than a year old. You're right though that it was in a garage which gets hot as hell (I live in Phoenix, AZ) during the summer. You think that could cause it? 🤔 I usually buy a filter as I need them, so I don't have much experience storing them. I'll probably keep in the the house from now on as a precaution

I know it's not in the right groove 🤣 down to the thread is as far as I was able to install it before I disintegrated, I didn't even bother seating it properly in it's groove because it was already a goner. That's why I chucked and it went to Wal-Mart for an AC Delco
If it helps, I write the month/year on the filter box when I buy it. I buy from reputable sources. No Amazon. No eBay. I buy from places like FCP Euro. Ipdusa. Toyota dealer. Mercedes dealer.

Because every single one of my seven vehicles uses the same kind of cartridge filter with o-ring. I am very picky about my filter source and quality.

If it helps, I write the month/year on the filter box when I buy it. I buy from reputable sources. No Amazon. No eBay. I buy from places like FCP Euro. Ipdusa. Toyota dealer. Mercedes dealer.

Because every single one of my seven vehicles uses the same kind of cartridge filter with o-ring. I am very picky about my filter source and quality.
True that. I've been living in a bubble of filter complacency lol, this whole thing made me rethink paying more attention to where I get filters/what filters I get. I guess I'm glad it happened before a filter ever caused me any problems

How many years old is that disintegrated filter?
OP, was the filter "disintegrated", or was it only the O-ring supplied with the filter? Your original post and title are confusing. There's a difference between the filter disintegrating, and the O-ring disintegrating.

OP, was the filter "disintegrated", or was it only the O-ring supplied with the filter? Your original post and title are confusing. There's a difference between the filter disintegrating, and the O-ring disintegrating.
The filter looked fine, although I chose not to use it because of the poor quality of the O ring. Yeah I should've clarified, I hadn't noticed until now haha

the directions on the mobil 1 filter says coat o ring with oil when installing,hopefully this is done to insure proper sliding on to the groove in cover,myself i have used a small pic and rolled on carefully.

Back