AutoRX initial impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently concluded the 1st dose of AutoRx in my '95 Hyundai Accent. I'm now 450 miles into the "rinse" cycle. The main reason for using RX was a minor, but consistent oil consumption issue (no leaks at all). The car consumed 1/4 qt every 300 miles like clockwork (1 qt every 1200 mi).

During the 791 miles I had RX in the oil, the oil consumption persisted (I'd added 1/2 qt during the period and was 1/8 qt low at the time I drained the RX).

Now, 450 miles into the rinse cycle, the oil still reads full on the dipstick. I should've been 3/8 qt low by now.

So far, so good! I'm curious if the consumption is completely gone, or if it'll continue, but at a lower rate. I'll keep reporting back as new information surfaces.

I think you may be even more amazed after the second dose and you move into a real oil change interval (OCI - you know, that boring time between oil changes
grin.gif
)

The only caveat to the 2nd dose is I only left myself 6 oz. for it. I read another post by Frank where he recommended running for a longer interval if you use less than the recommended dose, so I'm going to go 1500 mi on the 2nd dose. The crankcase capacity is 3.5 qts, so my dosage should be 9 oz. So I'm only 3 oz. short of the recommended dose.

Looking forward to any other positive benefits!

quote:

Originally posted by timzak:
The only caveat to the 2nd dose is I only left myself 6 oz. for it. I read another post by Frank where he recommended running for a longer interval if you use less than the recommended dose, so I'm going to go 1500 mi on the 2nd dose. The crankcase capacity is 3.5 qts, so my dosage should be 9 oz. So I'm only 3 oz. short of the recommended dose.

timzak

which engine is this? I have a 92 mitsubishi mirage 1.5 liter engine and wonder if it is the same engine in the accent. I have read that hyundai used mitsubishi designed engines in their vehicles in the early to mid 90's. if you have the 1.5 liter, I may have to pick up some auto-rx for myself.
wink.gif

HI everyone, came across this forum from a link mentioning Auto-RX on the acura-legend forum. Read some of the amazing results and decided to order the 3 pack and try this on my aging 90 Legend LS Coupe. She has oil leaks even after I replaced the top and side valve cover gaskets, looks like a slight tranny oil leak, a slight steering R&P leak (boot not torn yet) and what looks to be a fouled oil pick up sensor in the pan. (my check oil level started to light up) Changed the filter as per instructions and have only driven 200 miles so far. This is what I noticed: after 100 miles, check oil light went off, engine seems to have more response. The cleaning of the oil pick up sensor alone was well worth the $55. To get to it, I would have had to have a mechanic drop the oil pan which involves removing cross member possibly part of the front exhaust. Now I'm just waiting for it to do all the other miracles!
I have a question: I'm not a good DIY guy and I read about the methods to flush the auto tranny if I use Auto-Rx in it. T-Tec is out of the question cause these older honda trannys will flip out if they don't get honda atf, oil cooler line flush with second person turning motor on and off sounds too messy for me. Can I just put in a lesser dose and gradually do the 3x drain on the tranny?
With the power steering, someone posted a similiar PIA flush, can I also use a smaller dose an do a turkey baster replacement of the resevoir, say also 3x over a period of time.

Frank, what's your opinion? Any advice on these procedures from anyone would help. It's that versus no treatment to the tranny and rack. Thanks guys!

[ August 02, 2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: pecan2phat ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:

quote:

Originally posted by timzak:

timzak

which engine is this? I have a 92 mitsubishi mirage 1.5 liter engine and wonder if it is the same engine in the accent. I have read that hyundai used mitsubishi designed engines in their vehicles in the early to mid 90's. if you have the 1.5 liter, I may have to pick up some auto-rx for myself.
wink.gif

Yes, it's the 1.5L. I couldn't tell you if it's the SAME 1.5L, though.

I forgot to mention in the original post, I poured some of the drained oil into a clear glass and the stuff was so black that you could not see a light bulb through it. I actually held the glass to a light bulb and could not see any sign of light through the oil. No clumps, just thin, solid black oil. And this only after 791 miles on the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back