Auto RX Skeptic turned Believer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many claim that during an Arx treatment their engine will make noises, knocking or tapping, and this is cited as 'normal' as oil gets to places that have previously been starved.
To me it suggests, it's more likely, that during the cleaning larger particles are breaking away and temporarily blocking oil flow. Unless someone can explain why an engine makes a noise 'when' it gets oil and 'not' when it doesn't?

I have used Arx, I did not note any changes in the engine, it was expensive and I tend to believe that there are other products that will do a more effective job.
But thats just me. I'm not about to argue the point.

lol.gif
more detours from the land fill
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: expat
Many claim that during an Arx treatment their engine will make noises, knocking or tapping, and this is cited as 'normal' as oil gets to places that have previously been starved.
To me it suggests, it's more likely, that during the cleaning larger particles are breaking away and temporarily blocking oil flow. Unless someone can explain why an engine makes a noise 'when' it gets oil and 'not' when it doesn't?

I have used Arx, I did not note any changes in the engine, it was expensive and I tend to believe that there are other products that will do a more effective job.

Certainly not something from the landfill but a statement that makes sense IMO. A part straved for oil would make noise, once oil reaches it and lubricates it the noise should stop. At least that has always been the case, and the point of lubrication. BTW I am not attacking any product here I am making a general statement. Dry unlubricated parts make noise, or parts that have clogged up passages make noise.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Originally Posted By: expat

Certainly not something from the landfill but a statement that makes sense IMO. A part straved for oil would make noise, once oil reaches it and lubricates it the noise should stop. At least that has always been the case, and the point of lubrication. BTW I am not attacking any product here I am making a general statement. Dry unlubricated parts make noise, or parts that have clogged up passages make noise.

I am just wondering why arx is the only oil additive on here that people complain about noises, we do not see that with LC20. I am just curious why there were not noises before using arx but only afterwards. The only thing I can conclude is that arx is breaking stuff off in pieces and they are temporarily clogging the lifters.

Stands to reason that a sludge/varnish coating on metal would muffle sound. Clean metal is noisier, even with lubrication. Maybe other products aren't cleaning.

Originally Posted By: Not the Autorx Frank
Stands to reason that a sludge/varnish coating on metal would muffle sound. Clean metal is noisier, even with lubrication. Maybe other products aren't cleaning.

I've seen first hand the cleaning effects of other products and it was quite impressive. All that aside your statement about the muffling effect of sludge makes some sense to me. However then all new clean engines would make a lot of noise since they don't have sludge to muffle the sound.

Properly lubricated operational parts shouldn't make odd noises if they are lubricated. Cleaning dirty metal and exposing it to oil should quiet the area down, dirt and sludge don't lubricate parts, oil does. Areas that are supposed to be getting oil and aren't are going to make noise and eventually fail.

But are we not told that the noise is a Transient phase??

Not sure if I understand you correctly. If i'm reading this right (correct me if i'm not), my new Ranger should be quite noisy?

Nope that's not what I mean. A vehicle with sludge and poor lubrication wears parts. These parts when cleaned up are noisier than when they had a insulating coat of varnish. Take this same coating of varnish and coat th inside of the valve cover etconyour ranger and i bet it gets eve quieter than is now.

Nope that's not what I mean. A vehicle with sludge and poor lubrication wears parts. These parts when cleaned up are noisier than when they had a insulating coat of varnish. Take this same coating of varnish and coat th inside of the valve cover etconyour ranger and i bet it gets eve quieter than is now.

Ok, I see, thanks for clearing that up. I was confused for a moment :)

My understanding was the odd noises would go away after the treatment. So if what you're saying is correct, then the engine is going to make more noise after an A-Rx treatment. I'm also willing to bet a coat of varnish under panthermikes valve cover is not going to make any noticeable difference in sound.

What makes more sense to me, is as the junk is being removed if it is big particles blocking up all passages, lifters, or something else you'd hear noise, and once trapped in the filter the noise would stop. Just guessing here.

This ONE theory wa just a theory to explain SOME cases. I think saying all noises are because of "x" is ridiculas. Was just one plausible reason in some cases.

Please, can you give other reasons a noise would come and go?
The Noise issue is well documented. Think it was even addressed in the Q & A section on the Arx Website as something to be expected.

I'll take a shot. Oil reaching parts that require constant oil, then oil not reaching those parts. The noise will come and go until the part calling for oil gets constant oil. How would this happen,? Big junk coming off temporarily blocking oil flow. to parts that constantly need it. If the junk is totally liquefied I'd say there would be less chance of hearing noise. JMO

Let's try and sweep up in this totally garbage barrage.

Can anyone here concede that a lifter may get stuck?

(mr. Rodgers) Suuuure you can.

Can anyone here say that the actual sticking is not from lack of lubrication? That it is the stuck condition that would create the noise (which, iirc, is actually the valve slamming against the seat and not the valve train itself)?

Suuuure you can.

Now can any of you also see that a varnished outlet can maintain a normal pressure environment in the midst of a varnished supply?

come on ....Suuuuure you can.

Now can any of you imagine a situation where the outlet varnish was cleared before the inlet supply was cleaned up??

You can do it ...Suuure you can.

Can you also see this condition going away after the supply gets cleaned up?

I'm rooting for you ....Suuuure you can!!!

Hew r Juanderful (the Spaniard Swordsman from Princes Bride).

..but it's from the crew ..so
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back