Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 72customdeluxe
I just see red x's

Are they showing now?
54.gif
Seems to be working alright here?

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Use oil for clean rinse that is ester/PAO free for best result.

Definitely. I'm going with Castrol GTX for the rinse stage.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
WE WANT PICTURES!
20.gif

LOL.gif
J/K, that is some nasty buildup.

Once the treatment is complete, I'm going to be pulling off the valve covers to take some pictures.
wink.gif

What is it with Americans and loking under valve covers? RX does it's real work in pressure fed areas but under the valve cover is a splash fed area which gets bugger all cleaning. As a non U.S citizen I'm at a loss to understand where this mentality comes from, maybe somebody can advise as to us it's farcical?

We look for results, they're easiest seen under the valve cover. Kind of hard to see cleaned ring packs, unless you want to take an engine apart. Yes a compression test can tell if compression went up, but that still won't give a visual of how clean the area is. How about the guy who saw no compression increase? Seeing is believing for some people, others are happy with testimonies. Me I like both, but testimony from someone I respect is good enough sometimes. God Bless America!

AD

God bless oh forget it... the results you seek are NOT under the valve cover. May I strongly suggest you keep your money in your pocket as you will be sorely dissapointed. Mori can you call in please?

I heard good things about A-rX, but maybe I should hold on to my money as you suggest, thanks! I can get results I see with MMO. Thanks for the good advise. And yes God Bless America!

AD

Originally Posted By: sprintman
What is it with Americans and loking under valve covers? RX does it's real work in pressure fed areas but under the valve cover is a splash fed area which gets bugger all cleaning. As a non U.S citizen I'm at a loss to understand where this mentality comes from, maybe somebody can advise as to us it's farcical?

I'm not an American national, but I fail to understand what pulling off valve covers has to do with one's nationality.
54.gif

I'm pulling them off because I'm replacing gaskets, etc. when the timing belt is being replaced, and will take a few pictures whilst I'm at it. I got quite a bit of the gelled sludge on my finger through the filler hole - it's that bad in this particular engine. I reckon some of that can be removed, even in a splash fed area, as it's not completely 'baked' into the metal. The varnish, etc. will most probably remain, so I'm not expecting the area to look like the engine just came out the factory.

Having said that, I simply do not have the time to dismantle the engine, just to see how much cleaning has been done. Being a transversely-mounted V6, pulling off the covers can be quite a job, specifically the right bank. If it wasn't for the seals and gaskets, I wouldn't have even bothered to take them off, it's a time consuming job.

Also, I've noticed quite a few pictures on the RX website, such as that of the Nissan KA24DE engine, are pictures with valve covers off.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
We look for results, they're easiest seen under the valve cover. Kind of hard to see cleaned ring packs, unless you want to take an engine apart. Yes a compression test can tell if compression went up, but that still won't give a visual of how clean the area is. How about the guy who saw no compression increase? Seeing is believing for some people, others are happy with testimonies. Me I like both, but testimony from someone I respect is good enough sometimes. God Bless America!

AD

AutoRX's easiest results are observed with compression tests, not visual inspection.

While compression tests are surely a good method for undeniable validation, many people aren't going to do them themselves ..nor pay to have them done. The valve cover visual is mainly for indication that the stuff works. This isn't necessary for the guy who had a lifter ticking that wasn't fixed with solvent cleaners. He gets proof with the ending of the noise.

So, while I agree with Sprintman's basic premise, the user without a boldly apparent symptom needs some indicator to tell them it worked. The valve cover view is about all that they have.

I believe you will see plenty under the valve covers. I haven't pulled mine on the 2000 Corolla before. When I take off the oil cap, all I can see is a metal semi-flat surface, definately splash fed.

At the beginning of the ARX clean/rinses there was some varnish and a "thin" black layer of deposits(about 3 inches across). After 2 treatments, the varnish has reduced significantly and there is only a small 1/2" spot of the black layer.

Again, this is only a splash fed area, I have no doubt that under the valve covers, it looks great. So I'd say the method of looking under the valve cover is a good one, to see visual results.

Once again it comes down to the chicken and the egg. Sprintman is correct that pressure fed areas are key. Stuck rings can be the cause of top end sludge build up, from all the half burned fuel blowing by poor performing ring packs. By the same token neglegted PCV valves can also contribute to sludging issues as well.

But what it comes down to is that ARX will clean the areas of the motor that gets an assist from heat, pressure, and oil flow. Splash fed areas just take longer.

That is not to say that you need to keep throwing in a cleaning full dose every other oil change. After two cleaning and rinses, just go on to the maintenance dose of ARX with each oil change, with any oil you choose. Two to three fluid ounces with each oil change will clean up even the the remote splash fed areas of the motor if that is your goal.

The very first application will at least clean up the engines vitals.

Thanks Gary.

I think I will put a good word in for you, up at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I hear that we need a "Clean Engine Czar".

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
While compression tests are surely a good method for undeniable validation, many people aren't going to do them themselves ..nor pay to have them done. The valve cover visual is mainly for indication that the stuff works. This isn't necessary for the guy who had a lifter ticking that wasn't fixed with solvent cleaners. He gets proof with the ending of the noise.

So, while I agree with Sprintman's basic premise, the user without a boldly apparent symptom needs some indicator to tell them it worked. The valve cover view is about all that they have.

Thanks again Gary,

Not knocking A-rX testimonies say it works. But a compression test can be a big deal, and cost plenty. Now if no compression is gained does it mean A-rX didn't work? Besides you'd need 2 compression tests a before and after, costing double. At least a peak under the VC will show if things were cleaned up, nothing more nothing less. Not all dirty engines suffer compression issues. So knowing things were cleaned will keep people happy.

AD

Most people can rely the buttload of visuals posted by others.

I've seen enough before and after compression tests to determine that if there is ring coking that is resulting in compression variance, that it will be taken care of. I'll even go further and say that any current ring coking that has not yet produced compression degradation or variance will be removed as well.

That is, I will prevent an future event. It's the same for any deposit that may be half way to the making of a "needs to be tended to" event. I automatically use it on a used car and recommend its use prophetically anywhere around 50k or more. No differently than I use Amsoil PI or (before Amsoil) Regane on the fuel system ..whether I'm seeing symptoms or not.

That's why I sometimes don't understand when someone says they saw no benefit. If they didn't have a problem to begin with, they should expect "no" results. That doesn't at all mean that the product didn't do its job preemptive of any future event that may or (and especially) may not be apparent.

Are there no doctors out there with a colonoscopy scope that can snake down into the engine before and after?..............cool.

33.gif

Last edited:
They had some Ridgid brand ones on clearance at Home Depot for the crazy low price of $99.99, and I didn't buy one! I later decided I needed one and went back, and all 3 that were there on my last trip were gone
frown.gif

Yeah. That would be cool. Could look in the valve covers and maybe up the oil pan drain hole for sludge or crud on the crank.

The issue with rings coking up is not visible from the top. The coking usually occurs between the the compression ring and the intermediate compression ring.

Frank did a test on a Honda Civic way back in the late 90's. The motor in this unit was toast to start with. But we dropped a piston out of this motor which was pretty ugly with respect to ring coking and even the skirt had deposits on it. Put rod and piston back in place and ran ARX for 200 miles in the crankcase.

The difference was night and day in only 200 miles, no rinse. There were once pictures of the piston and somehow got lost. It is a shame, as they really told the story of ARX's best attribute of cleaning ring packs. But I saw it with my eyes, and can only convey that it was impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back