Are all brand name gasolines equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Closest gas stations to were I live.....

1. BP
2. Sunoco
3. Mobil
4. Giant Eagle Get' Go
5. Speedway

What would you use and why?

Cost is not an issue, because they are all the same price most of the time. Unless I get the .20 discount from Giant Eagle, then I will use them, but that only happens about once a month. Otherwise I like to use name brand gas, because it just makes me feel better.

What I use and why is BP because I get 5% cash back with their credit card. That makes it $.16 per gallon cheaper than every place else in town at today's prices.

http://www.quiktrip.com/gasoline/iq.asp

Quik-Trip claims that all grades of their gas will clean deposits:

Will IQ keep my engine from forming deposits?

QuikTrip Guaranteed Gasoline with IQ will not only keep these deposits from forming, it will actually reduce deposits that may have already formed.

Do other gasoline retailers have additives in their fuel?

All gasoline retailers have the government required minimum level of additives in their gasoline. However, many retailers only put in a small dose of additives. What is important is the amount of additives the retailer delivers in every grade, not just in the premium grade. QuikTrip, unlike lower quality gasoline, puts the same high level of IQ additive in every grade of gasoline sold.

Is QuikTrip gasoline a TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

Yes. QuikTrip Guaranteed Gasoline with IQ has been recognized and approved by a group of four automobile manufacturers as a TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. This group, consisting of General Motors, Toyota, BMW and Honda, has created a deposit control standard for TOP TIER gasoline that exceed those of the EPA.

Further perusing the QT site, they claim detergency has been cut in other brands. Never heard that one before:

http://www.quiktrip.com/gasoline/toptier.asp

FWIW I generally prefer QT, Phillips/Conoco or Shell to non-name brand, Mobil or BP since QT controls the St. Louis market and everyone follows them almost to the penny. On the other hand I kind of resent a company that uses bright c-stores, cheap soda and lots of cops hanging around to build a semi-monopoly.

Top Tier Gasoline - Quality Gasoline Additives

QuikTrip Guaranteed Gasoline with IQ has been approved by a group of automobile manufacturers as a Top Tier Gasoline. This group is composed of BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota automakers who are concerned about the low levels of detergent additives in gasoline. These companies have created a new voluntary deposit control standard for gasoline that exceed those of EPA's deposit control rule. Their purpose is to define a new class of commercial gasoline with enhanced detergency called Top Tier Detergent Gasoline.

Over the past several years, the minimum level of detergent additive required by the EPA has declined by an estimated 50%. As a result, the ability of vehicles to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and customer satisfaction.

QuikTrip Guaranteed Gasoline with the IQ additive is one of the first to be recognized as meeting the Top Tier standards. QuikTrip has maintained a high additive level for several years, so meeting the Top Tier requirements was easily attained. All grades of QuikTrip Guaranteed Gasoline meet the Top Tier requirements.

For more information concerning quality Top Tier Detergent Gasoline, go to www.toptiergas.com.

What I can share about Shell: From their own marketing data.

V-Power Premium uses >5 X the cleaning agents of US Federal standards.

All the other Shell fuels use >2 X the cleaning agents of the US Federal standards.

Like everything else in the fuels and lubes business things change!

Terry

Why is the Top Tier Gas site so horrible? I would have to say this is one of the worst sites I have seen. It has never been updated, and it is poorly layed out. It makes me think that top tier didn't put much into this effort. I do believe that top tier gasoline is usually better than others, but you wouldn't be able to tell by their website. It looks like a 14 year old put it together in 15 minutes.
stooges.gif

Different company's and locations even within same company will produce different results.

NO gas is the same but many can and do share the same base, and in many instances the only difference is in additive packages.

They all buy each others fuel. Like'em electricity that's green you know, it travels down the same lines, don't it?

The fuel additive packages and yes additives to the fuel can and will IMPROVE all gasoline products.

Really surprised that someone who tanks fuel hasn't chimed in on this issue.

I tanked fuel for quite a few years. Ok... when a station orders fuel, they get it from the best price fuel terminal. It doesn't matter who owns the terminal and who refines the fuel. They ALL get the same fuel.

When I would load up a tanker, I would specify which station brand was getting the load. The computers at the terminal would add additives to the fuel stream as it was loaded based on specs of the brand.

If you go to a fuel terminal, you will see a number of smaller tanks near the loading area. These are the addtive tanks. Even the ethanol is blended at this point.

The terminal is getting the fuel from any number of refiners in the pipeline. The Mobil refinery south of Chicago may provide the fuel one day, then the refinery out of Indiana will provide the next, then the refinery out of Kansas will provide the next. Not all the same companies. The base fuel meets fed specs. The brand specs are then added at the load point.

Pure and simple. ALL refined gasoline is the same no matter the brand of the station. Whether it's a Quik Trip, Seven Eleven, Truck stop chain, Farmer's Coop, etc.

Only the additives have been added at the load point to protect the innocent.
stirthepot.gif

Shell station are getting really rare in SE Michigan, the only one I can think of off-hand are at 10 and Ryan and 8 Mile and Livernois and they only show the price of Regular Unleaded instead of the prices of all their gas and always seem to be the most expensive or the leaders of price increases.

Does anyone know what Costco sells. I go there because in my area they are 20 to 40 cents a gallon cheaper than any other station. Sometimes you have to wait in line but there is another advantage to a busy station. They tank up from four to six times a day and that means cleaner gas in my tank. I have a special Costco Amex card that I only use for gasoline and today I received a check for $241 just for using the card.

Good info cowpie. I lived near a fuel depot and observed for several years exactly what you've explained.

Just got a 93 Buick LeSabre for my parents. Terry reco'd. Shell for it. Put in maybe 2/3 of a tank at a Shell in NJ then hit the road for western PA. Got 30 MPG highway on the trip.

In our Accords, our best highway MPG trips have all been on fill-ups from Sheetz gas in PA, a regional chain (with one exception, a BP fillup on the Indiana Toll Road last summer).

Shell and Chevron are shrinking in Lousville, Ky.
In fact Marathon just bought two of them near where I live and now it is almost impossible to find any toptier gas near me.
So I am left with BP, Marathan and Speed way. Which is a better gas to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back