Are all brand name gasolines equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

John, huh?

The FP3000 seems to offset/mitigate some energy value loss of ethanol doped fuel but the ethanol( and associated additives to accomodate ethanol added fuels allowed by a niche in the EPA fuels rules/mandates) acts as both a solvent and lubricity agent.

Got it. Wrote my post in a rush, and was slightly confused by the comments above stating that:
"in that case get a cheapo fuel with as much ethanol in it, add FP3000 and monitor."

Given the general negativity towars ethanol, I was suprised that you would be suggesting fuel with a high ethanol content, and so I figured there was a reason
wink.gif

Given the polarity of the -OH group, it makes sense that ethanol would be a good lubricant in fuel, as it would set up a monolayer on the metal surfaces to provide a boundary. However, given its small molecular radii, its effects must still not be as profound as a benzothiophenic type molecule, which I suppose used to be the norm...

Great info, thanks for the insight!

Best,

JMH

Quote:

I mis spoke...Texeco and Chevron are the same thing! Not Shell.

I think in someway the Shell, Texaco and Chevron brands have overlapped.

I think in some areas, Shell picked up Texaco stations and perhaps one bottled motor oils for the other. In other areas, Chevron picked up the Texaco gas stations.

I don't think Shell was allowed to acquire all of Texaco, so Chevron got parts as well.

Well, don't rely on my faulty memory, check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texaco

Terry et al,

Any idea if the Shell gasoline sold in Central Canada is similarly formulated? I have been trying to buy mainly shell in recent months in part to support the top tier retail concept.

Also are you recommending that ethanol fuel be used? I am not sure if the local shell formulas are 0% or 5% ethanol. Some brands here are up to 10%.

I had stopped using Sunoco 94 in my Turbo when I only started driving it in summer, but if ethanol helps...

BTW i run FP60 in every tank, until I am done my supply and then use my two gallons of FP3000

Quote:

I was wondering if all all brand name gasolines are equal in their ability to keep your engine clean just as all SM rated oils are pretty much on a level playing field. I ask because of the Top Tier program now, and not all brand names gasoline are part of it, BP and Marathon being two examples who are not.

I think one is about as bad as another.
whistle.gif

Quote:

I was wondering if all all brand name gasolines are equal in their ability to keep your engine clean just as all SM rated oils are pretty much on a level playing field. I ask because of the Top Tier program now, and not all brand names gasoline are part of it, BP and Marathon being two examples who are not.

SFCP,

Over here in California name brand gasolines (Chevron, Shell UNOCAL) are millionaire gasoline!! The average price of gas is still slightly under $3.50/gallon
frown.gif
Not a good situation to say the least. The only gas that has a decent price is ARCO. It's been said that this gas is lousey and ruins engines BUT the other side of the coin is that some people like myself have had good results. I like to buy the no name brand gas (Costco, ARCO or Valero) and add Techron from my local PEP BOYS every other month. Am I saving money by doing this? It works for me. Are they all the same? Over the news out here they said gasolines are basically all the same but they do vary slightly.

Durango
usa2.gif

Hi All, just wanted to throw in my two cents worth. I worked as catalytic cracking unit (Independant Refiner)operator for over twenty years and we sold to almost everyone except Shell. Now as a matter of fact Shell produces all their own gasoline for their Shell stations. Other groups buy and sell refined gasoline,pipeline gasoline and foriegn gasoline at the best margin,3,2,1, and other profit related prices. I know a few hundred shell employees and the 150+ I worked with before I moved on.and all is the same today as before except Shell has cleaned up their gasoline more through additional processing.

Any thoughts on Mobil & BP. These brands are usually cheaper in my area by 5-10 cents. Also I never heard any thing good about Shell until now. Maybe it's a vehicle thing.

I have been trying to buy from a Sunoco pump thats marked with 10% Ethanol. I swear that any engine it goes in just feels better to drive. It made a real big difference in my fil's truck.

Shell never marked their pumps like that around here. I still tend to use them though unless out of town.

I usually buy Hess diesel and gas if there since I was under the impression Hess had all private pipelines & refineries. Shell & Sunoco because of the Top Tier and ethanol content.

Quote:

Any thoughts on Mobil & BP. These brands are usually cheaper in my area by 5-10 cents. Also I never heard any thing good about Shell until now. Maybe it's a vehicle thing.

IMO, BP makes a great gas. They have an environmentally friendly initiative, too. Try them next time you have a chance. I get my best mileage on BP, quick trip, and Phillips66.

What's funny, is I have 3 vehicles that are daily drivers; i.e '85 BMW 325e; '97 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L; '04 Tacoma 3.4L - all of these engines run the best on Shell, with the best mpg.

I just recently acquired the BMW; the Tacoma we purchased 7 mnths ago and have been using Shell exclusively, so don't know what their mpg would be consistently with using a different gas.

However, on the '97 Rodeo, in which I've been using Shell gas every tankfull for almost 6-7yrs, with very few exceptions, it's standard for it to get about 1-2mpg less if I use someone else's gas, BUT, I could swear that Shell eliminates the Ethanol here around April-ish - and the reason I say that, is this truck HATES the winterblend gas.

I will never agree to all name brand gasolines being equal, just seems the Shell burns cleaner and better in everything I put it in.

I'm glad I found this thread as I was going to start one on Shell gas.

I've been an almost exclusive Chevron user for years now due to reading about it's better properties. A few weeks ago I was desperate for gas (87 oct) and stopped by a Shell station and filled up. I felt through by "buttometer" that the truck ran more smoothly (no additives used). So, I filled up again. Still have the smoothness. I only notice it when at a constant speed as in hitting green lights or freeway driving. I only get that feeling when I used a couple ounces of FP60.
Which reminds me...I also used Shell in the Chevelle (91 oct) and got better results. Always used Chevron before, too. I had put some neutra in the tank with this fillup and assumed that was the reason. Upon thinking about it, I'd used neutra with Chevron and didn't get the same feel.

Whatever "it" is, its working better.
thumbsup.gif

I've been using only Shell gas lately and I like it. I get the best gas mileage with it (or so it seems) plus I like the marketing of cleaner combustion areas. I'll probably continue to use it.

Quote:

I felt through by "buttometer" that the truck ran more smoothly (no additives used).

I believe that's called the "Butt Dyno".

I'll be giving Shell a try more. I'd been purchasing more Chevron than anything. I have a Chevron and a Shell station both within three blocks from my place...I'll just head to the Shell from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back