Anyone Hear Of This Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the specific brand (might be) but member boxcartommie thinks stainless steel filters are the greatest thing since sliced bread. To pricey for me, I'll just stick with cellulose and/or synthetic media filters, thank you.

Tommie will be more than happy to tell you all about them.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Hey, I think I have found an oil filter I can use for more than (1) OCI!
lol.gif

Heh heh, back in my youth , it was a common practice to change the filter every other OC. Of course, the OCI was 1500-2000 miles. Bug engines just had a mesh screen. There was a sheet metal plate about 4 inches across with the drain plug in the middle.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
that filter is intersting, its reuasble? so i assume they sell a solvent to clean it with before you re-install it?

that is kind of a nifty idea really.

From their website :

Quote:
Wash the reusable stainless steel filter element in clean solvent, gasoline, kerosene, aerosol carburetor cleaner or any other degreasing agent. You can even finish the cleaning process with some common dish soap and hot water. For stubborn debris, you can use a soft bristle brush to help dislodge particles from the screen. If you have compressed air available, blow air through the filter starting from the inside out, to remove any small particles or cleaning agent from the screen. If you don’t have compressed air, let the element air dry or use aerosol carburetor cleaner or something similar to displace the water. Finally, if you have a spin on model, clean the inside of the filter housing using the same type of cleaner as used on the reusable filter element.

don't let the misinfo scare you that morris says..when paper filters get hot they expand and allow 90-200u through that paper filter.. the companies won't tell you. what do you expect from a 5 buck paper filter..the k&p filter is 35u absolute 100%!!! bsides they flow 57gpm @1 psi drop alot less drag on the engine..another thing you won't have to worry is paper breaking off and gets into engine...you will find on here many incidences of such...

boxcartommie22 you've got some 'splainin to do but I doubt we'll see it.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
when paper filters get hot they expand and allow 90-200u through that paper filter

I have never heard of this and I can't see how it's even remotely true. I would assume that most paper filters are near absolute at 35u as the synthetic filters are near absolute at 20u.

they flow 57gpm @1 psi drop alot less drag on the engine

This was dyno tested (at least once) by a publication and they could not find any measurable difference. It makes sense as the filter doesn't limit the flow to the engine or the amount of work done (for the most part). To reduce the power spent on pumping oil you should regulate the pump-speed to the flow required, not to the engine speed.

another thing you won't have to worry is paper breaking off and gets into engine...you will find on here many incidences of such...

This is a rare occurrence and double-rare with a quality/performance filter. The extra wear allowed by the mesh filter is absolute and will definitely happen.

Something else to consider; a synthetic-media filter (say 99%@20u) will have reasonably good efficiency at lower microns. So it will trap particles at 15u, 10u, 5u and this has been measured. A mesh filter will have almost zero efficiency at these lower levels until it becomes loaded with larger particles.

Last edited:
no matter what i explain or have proof on here its a waste of time..your in bed with cheap filters and of course are going to make them sound good. ever heard of heat expands? we have shown at the drags that stainless steel filter reduces engine drag as compared to paper racing filters...and you didn't have to be a smart arse from the intial statement above.we certainly don't need that kind of idiotsy on here.just because you disagree.just your opinion and i have mine.

Last edited:
no matter what i explain or have proof on here its a waste of time..your in bed with cheap filters and of course are going to make them sound good. ever heard of heat expands? we have shown at the drags that stainless steel filter reduces engine drag as compared to paper racing filters...and you didn't have to be a smart arse from the intial statement above.we certainly don't need that kind of idiotsy on here.just because you disagree.just your opinion and i have mine.

Show me.

one of the many reasons i went to stainless steel mesh is that i have seen many paper filters blow apart because of the strong oil pumps we have now a days.put a cheap filter in that and you will find the paper in the combustion chamber..for my uses i will never use any paper,synthetic,or glass paper filter in any vehicles.just not going to take that chance

one of the many reasons i went to stainless steel mesh is that i have seen many paper filters blow apart ... and you will find the paper in the combustion chamber

How does this make any sense?

for my uses i will never use any paper,synthetic,or glass paper filter in any vehicles.just not going to take that chance

That's completely your choice but you need to know that you are not getting better filtration and the chance of failure of a typical filter extremely remote. I wouldn't doubt that the mesh filter has the same, or worse, chance of failure.

If you're afraid to use cheap/shady/grey-market filters then you don't have to use them. Most people prefer to use good, proven or high-performance filters. I just think you should know that just about any filter on the shelf is as-good or better than this mesh one.

Last edited:
many years ago i worked in the industrial hydraulics. and put a system to gather useing a cast iron housing with a filter element 2 ft long. it filtered down to 3 mu. at 3500 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back