Anybody scrap their oil filters?

Why not recycle it if it's done free of charge and with your oil. Doesn't make much sense to me. The more oil that stays out of the landfill the better.

I will explain my position on this. I don’t cut the filter. I drain it in my used oil pan and then into the trash it goes.

The problem is that with an anti-drainback valve, the filter won't drain. I've had filters sitting upside down for DAYS and they still have oil in them.

I've found that the quickest way to get a filter to drain is to turn the filter so the opening is facing up, then insert a 3/8" extension in the middle, and then hit it with a hammer.

This usually knocks the filter element out of line with the ADBV and the filter will drain freely.

I take them back to WalMart with my oil jugs. They recycle them for me.

just my $0.02
So you're the guy that returns jugs of used oil, that end up back on the shelves to be sold to unwitting customers!!!

(That was a joke)

Seriously though, I didn't know walmart took used oil and filters. Do all the stores take them or only the ones that offer auto service?

fella w/shop acc from ours threw them into his scrap cars. Added weight at the crusher to further line his pocket.
I called them "the Rude Brothers"garage.

Anyone here take their old oil filters to the scrap man or metal recycler? I do along with what aluminum scrap I come across.
I haven't yet, but have considered it. I'd also save the coil and leaf springs and rubber gaskets for handy use around the house for when you need a small spring, gasket, etc.

So you're the guy that returns jugs of used oil, that end up back on the shelves to be sold to unwitting customers!!!

(That was a joke)

Seriously though, I didn't know walmart took used oil and filters. Do all the stores take them or only the ones that offer auto service?
lol, Yep that’s me!!! I did walk in the front of the store once and the greeter tried to send me to customer service. 🤷‍♂️😱

Honestly I’m not sure if every store recycles filters. A few years ago I was taking oil back and the manager asked if I had any filters to recycle. I said no I didn’t realize Walmart recycled filters. Since then I’ve been taking them to Walmart.

Just my $0.02

Cut them open, look at the inside, drain out the used oil, burn the filter elament in the wood stove as a fire starter, fish the steel out of the ashes & throw all the steel in the scrap pile. Even if you crush a filter, there’s still oil in the element. Even the synthetic media ones with full syn oil burn pretty well, must be the residual fuel in the oil.

Back