Alternative to Schaeffer's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Schaeffer's 9000 in my 2006 Toyota Avalon since about 20K miles. I've used up the 2 cases I bought from Salesrep and don't want to order again since shipping and taxes add considerably to the cost. I thought I had found a distributor in my area but it turns out he is a small one man operation. When I contacted him by phone, he indicated he could supply the Shaeffer's 9000 and I could pick it up. I would still have to pay sales tax(TN=9.75%) and the round trip to pick up would be about 75 miles.

I'm considering changing to another synthetic but don't know which would be best and hesitate to do so since my experience with Schaeffer's has been so good. The last UOA at 10,000 mi was very good.

What can other syn. users recommend?
John
W.TN

My favorite synthetic = the one I can get on sale...I have had great UOAs with Mobil 1 0W40 and Pennzoil Ultra 5W40 in the Volvos. I really haven't bothered with a UOA on the Toyotas, the engines are clean inside and run perfectly (at 95,000 on the Corolla and 236,000 on the 4 Runner).

Seriously, they're all pretty good. I just picked up two cases of Castrol Syntec for $1.98/Qt - so, there's my new favorite!

There are a lot of competing products, but if you are happy with the Schaeffer's product why not try to get a better delivered price?

If you are not ordering enough to quality for free shipping...that really increases the cost per quart. Do you have any friends that might want to go in a group order? Have you tried their other products? Their "Neutra" product is excellent, as is the "Citrol" degreaser.

Another thing to consider is their UOA kits, ask Mark if they count towards the free shipping $$.

I don't need anything but oil. If I bought locally(?) I was only going to get one case but if I order, 2 cases would be all I would need. That would get me thru the next 40K miles. I doubt that quantity would qualify for free or reduced shipping.

If I remember correctly, the last time I ordered, I paid sales tax in addition to shipping. It has been about 3+ years so I don't remember the details, but the cost per quart was around $6.

I'll check Salesrep for the current price and delivered cost. I really like that oil.
John
W.TN

hit up Pablo. Maybe AMSOIL will be cheaper than the Schaffers?
Ive never ordered from Pablo, but from what I hear he gets an A+ in the BITOG book

Yes, unfortunately shipping prices have risen, thus orders under the minimum order of $375 for free shipping are effected even more so.

I would think any premium 5W-30 synthetic would more than satisfy the lubrication needs of your Avalon and last 10,000 miles.
If you feel you may need the extended protection of a longer drain oil, M1 5W-30 EP is an option.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I would think any premium 5W-30 synthetic would more than satisfy the lubrication needs of your Avalon and last 10,000 miles.
If you feel you may need the extended protection of a longer drain oil, M1 5W-30 EP is an option.

I don't doubt it for a minute but I've been using this stuff since the car had approx. 20K on it and I have confidence in the oil. I'm a little strange that way.

I checked WalMart prices and they are cheaper but not by a great deal. I also checked Autozone and they are ridiculous.
I'm going to bite the bullet and drive to the nearby distributor and get 2 cases. That will hold me for about 3+ years. I have a feeling that my wife will want to trade off a 9 YO car by then.

John
W.TN

Just to finish this off, I decided to drive to the local distributor and get two cases of the Schaeffer's 9000. The two cases cost $144.60 incl. taxes, which in TN are 9.75%.

I'm fixed for about 3 years at our present rate of putting miles on the car. The last fill went 10548 mi and I expect the next 4 to do it also.

I'm not doing a UOA on this change since I just had the air filter changed. The last UOA indicated a slightly elevated level of silicon so when I took it to the dealer for a 90K maintenance, I had the filter changed. I suspect that when I changed it I didn't get the system buttoned up good and some outside air was getting by the filter. I guess just another one of those things that you need to know the trick to getting it back together correctly.

John
W.TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back