Allowed to pump my own gas in Oregon today

Status
Not open for further replies.
oregon had a statewide vote for or against the law around 3 years ago.

it remained in effect (it passed). many women voted for it as if they were dressed up they did not want to smell like gasolene.

There is a full serve only station near my brother's house in Mass. The owner says he saves a lot on liability insurance by not letting people pump their own gas. The result is that he has some of the cheapest gas around.

While people on this site may know how to pump their own gas, there are plenty out there that have no clue. I bet the number of overfills while trying to get to the next dollar combined with the number of hoses ripped off the pumps is a lot more than you would think. Breakaway hoses and auto shutoffs would not exist if everyone knew what they were doing and paid attention while doing it.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Whats the reason for this? Ive never seen anyone not be able to pump gas in my parts....

In NJ I think it was a safety thing. Did not want people to start a fire. Its been that way since I was a kid in the 1950s.

In NY there is at least one self-service gas station where is 100% self service. No cashier inside the building, no building. Just pumps and a credit card machine. Obviously CC only. They even have E0. But not any cheaper. But their diesel pump is made for big trucks. Really pumps the diesel quickly. Your at 30 gallons in 2 or 3 minutes.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Definitely a funky thing; sounds like OR is either easy going or the gas station guy didn't care. NJ is more like Nazis about it, I asked once and there are very hefty fines.

Really? Funny how Ive lived here all my life, and since I first started buying gasoline in the late 1990s, nobody has ever given me a hard time over doing it myself. Im usually dosing additives before filling, so I tell them this and they are OK with it. Ive never once been given a hard time because of it. And Ive bought a LOT more gas in NJ than you have.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: ram_man
A law stating you cant pump your own fuel sounds incredibly inefficient.

It is efficient for the unions and the politicians that serve them. Atleast that is the case in NJ.

Again, what garbage. Unions for gas pumpers? How about some proof before you spew rhetoric that is false. I guarantee that if full service was done away with tomorrow, the prices would NOT drop one bit, as it would be "opportunity" to add profit to someone else's bottom line and pick my pocket.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/18812/why-cant-you-pump-your-own-gas-oregon-and-new-jersey

It's just a law to permit mini store thieves time to get a full tank of fuel while they rob the clerk inside.

In Greece we cant fill our own cars or motorbikes for some reason. But 70% of places have young women that work there and its awesome to have a chat to them as well.

You know what's funny about the gas pumping laws in New Jersey, there is no enforcement of this very important law. Nobody will yell at you if you try pumping your own gas, in fact if you pull in to gas up your motorcycle, the attendant will hand you the hose.It one of those stupid outdated laws that need to be thrown out, and let people get on with their lives instead of waiting for some minimum wage attendant who couldn't care any less about how long it takes for him to mosey over to pump your gas.,,

When you cross the border into Oregon or NJ you somehow become really stupid about how to operate a gas pump. From all my experiences in the other 46 states I'm proficient with the gas pumping process. It seems ironic that at one time I could operate a commercial nuclear power plant and a nuclear submarine but now I cannot be trusted to operate a gas pump.
mad.gif

Forcing all people to not pump their own gas is pretty stupid. Having gas stations that are full service are a useful service.

There is one gas station around here that is full service. I stop there quite a bit (but pump my own gas) because it's 100% from America and the cheapest except for Sam's Club.

I have had some interesting experiences at the full service stations. One of them, the pump jockey spent 5 minutes trying to screw on my gas cap. He was turning it counter clockwise ...

Another one, my mother almost started a fight with the pump jockey because he lit up a cigarette while gassing up vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Donald
In NY there is at least one self-service gas station where is 100% self service. No cashier inside the building, no building. Just pumps and a credit card machine. Obviously CC only. They even have E0. But not any cheaper. But their diesel pump is made for big trucks. Really pumps the diesel quickly. Your at 30 gallons in 2 or 3 minutes.

They seem to be pretty common in Eastern NY. I have seen quite a few around Amsterdam and points north. Used to stop at one frequently on route 30 between Gloversville and Northville.

I would love to see full service gas stations make a comeback, sell gas for the same price as pumping it yourself. It is not really about jobs, it should be about customer service which is hard to come by anymore. Gas stations now seem to have more employees than ever, but they are inside the mini overpriced grocery store selling donuts, coffee and lotto tickets. Meanwhile a elderly person, handicapped person,or mom with a baby is stuck out in the weather pumping gas and trying to clean off a windshield. The old gas stations where about servicing cars, not selling food. Better times for sure. Next, all the restaurants will be self service too. You will have to cook your own food, and clean up, but they will still have people there to take your money, which is like the gas stations of today.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Definitely a funky thing; sounds like OR is either easy going or the gas station guy didn't care. NJ is more like Nazis about it, I asked once and there are very hefty fines.

I pulled into a NJ gas station once, started pumping gas, this guy comes running out scrweaming "what are you doing? You can't do that!" So yes more Nazi like.

John

Now everyone is trained to get out of the car and pump their own gas, then stay in the car waiting at a drive-up window for food, or money, burning gas the whole time, instead of walking 20 feet to go inside.

Here's a different take. While taking some environmental law regulation classes at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, this topic came up under the Clean Air Act. Supposedly, I have yet to find of this is true or not, states had an option to choose this fuel delivery method to get emission credits. EPA claimed that if a trained attendent would pump the gas, you'd have less fumes emitting from the tank and the other benefit would be less spillage, that also worked under the Clean Water Act. This was before secondary vapor recovery. Those credits could be applied elsewhere to offset other higher pollution emitters.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Now everyone is trained to get out of the car and pump their own gas, then stay in the car waiting at a drive-up window for food, or money, burning gas the whole time, instead of walking 20 feet to go inside.

It's funny to see people queued up in a drive through 10 cars deep and no one is in line in the store itself.

I have seen a small billboard with the law spelled out at a truck stop. It was near Eugene, Oregon. From what I remember it states that the person dispensing fuel must be paid a wage. So if you have a company car or drive a commercial truck it is legal to pump your own fuel because you are being paid to do so. Most stations draw the line between diesel and gasoline, assuming that gasoline is for private use and that diesel is for commercial use.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Makes one wonder if the average IQ is so low in OR & NJ that they don't trust the driver to pump their own fuel. :))

I've seen several people using pumps at self service stations that I wouldn't trust. Fortunately, accidents seem to be rare, likely more due to the safety features of the equipment than the operator's diligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back