All oil filters should come shrink wrapped IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Honda OEM oil filter comes shrink wrapped. I have always like this for the simple fact that shrink wrap keeps dust and other contaminants out of the filter prior to installation. I do not wish to use the Honda OEM filter anymore, however, because these filters are now made by Honeywell (AKA Fram). While looking at other filter brands I am left wondering why other oil filters manufacturers do not shrink wrap their filters in the same manner that Honda does? It seems to me that when a filter is advertised to catch particles down to the micron level you would want to keep out any dust, dirt or other contaminants prior to installation. Am I being overly concerned about this?

Quote:

Am I being overly concerned about this?

I think so. The amount of dirt and dust that gets into a filter while it's in a closed cardboard box is probably less than the amount that enters your engine while you've got the oil cap off or the dipstick out.

Why put them shrink wrap if the customers will just take the wrapping off and they won't be able to sell it.

Atleast with a box, the employees can put it back.

Some are made by Honeywell but not all. Denso makes a filter for it that comes with a clear plastic cover on the open end of the filter. The Denso filters that I have used on Toy/Honda applications have been top quality and resonably priced.

Quote:

Some are made by Honeywell but not all. Denso makes a filter for it that comes with a clear plastic cover on the open end of the filter. The Denso filters that I have used on Toy/Honda applications have been top quality and resonably priced.

None of the OEM Honda filters are made by Denso. You're thinking of Toyota's filters. The Japanese Honda oil filter is made by Toyo Roki (S2000, HAMP, etc.) and the A01 American Honda filters were made by Filtech. A02's are made by Honeywell/Fram.

All subaru OEM filters are shrink wrapped on the open end. I happen to like that feature as well as the real O-ring (not a square gasket) used for the sealing surface. Quality is worth paying for.

Yes,I am aware that Denso does not make any of Honda's car filters. I was simply offering him an alternative filter that does come with protective wrapping on it. Toy Roki also makes a small minority of Nissan's filters. Denso products do however manufacter the newer small Honda filter as well as the older large style Honda filter for their ind. repair shop customers. Their filters show more quality than the O.E. Honeywell or the Toyo Roki unit. They come with a pre-lubed o-ring(with a protective cover) as well as steel-end caps and silicone anti-drainback valves. Weigh a Honeywell next to a Denso to see some diferences. I would use a Toyo filter but the Honeywell is for the trash can.

Interesting, I never knew that Denso made filters for Honda for industry repair shop customers (not even sure what that means
wink.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back