Black speck in FL-820S oil filter:

Hey, guys. I did an oil change yesterday on my Grand Marquis and I try to look for contamination in the filter before installing it. I snapped a pic, but for some reason I did not notice this black speck in the oil filer and I wouldn't have used it, if I did. Is this filter glue, or something? How screwed am I? Should I be worried at all? I have seen this in the center of these oil filters before and didn't use them. Thanks for any feedback.
Screenshot 2024-02-07 121010.jpg

Here's another FL-820S oil filter from like a year ago that I didn't use because of this. Same thing it looks like to me.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 125240.jpg

I personally would worry about that model tearing instead of what we see here. FL820s are the worst of the MC lineup...
Personally, I have never had one do that, at least not that I've seen. I heard of that happening, but I usually run shorter intervals of 4k or less usually, so I'm sure that helps.

Looks like glue-I would be a little worried about it falling off & getting stuck somewhere, like a piston or timing chain oil squirter.
You know, the crazy thing is, I have a whole 12 pack that I bought unopened, and about 3 or 4 of them have this same stuff in them after looking just now, and it’s kind of elusive where you have to shine a flashlight down into them and look around carefully to find it. I think I may have to stop buying these once and for all. No telling how many of these I have already ran, but missed it like I did on this one. That’s sloppy, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'd stick a flat head down in there & scrape it off. If it looks good after that then see what you think.
Problem is it's already installed on the car by the time I noticed the picture. I guess I'll have to replace this one with a clean one. I just hope I haven't damaged anything.

Problem is it's already installed on the car by the time I noticed the picture. I guess I'll have to replace this one with a clean one. I just hope I haven't damaged anything.
Understood & at least you're on top of it now. Just think about how many filters a car sees with this kind of debris stuck on the filters & they still motor on down the highway for a time. See if you can get a clean one ready for your next install if you can.

Understood & at least you're on top of it now. Just think about how many filters a car sees with this kind of debris stuck on the filters & they still motor on down the highway for a time. See if you can get a clean one ready for your next install if you can.
Will do. And yeah, I'm sure I've already ran them like this before. I'm amazed how many of these filters I have found that are contaminated with this black adhesive. I don't remember ever seeing anything like this in other brand oil filters.

Will do. And yeah, I'm sure I've already ran them like this before. I'm amazed how many of these filters I have found that are contaminated with this black adhesive. I don't remember ever seeing anything like this in other brand oil filters.
Excess glue seems common-but on the outside of the media where the filter should catch it. Inside the media is no bueno...

I stopped buying Motorcraft after seeing some cut-open posts and some YT videos showing all the sloppy glue jobs, and that the glue they use can come off.

Excess glue seems common-but on the outside of the media where the filter should catch it. Inside the media is no bueno...
Still a remove possibility of detached glue going through the bypass valve. Ideally, there shouldn't be anything coming loose inside the filter, regardless if it's on the clean side or dirty side of the media.

Still a remove possibility of detached glue going through the bypass valve. Ideally, there shouldn't be anything coming loose inside the filter, regardless if it's on the clean side or dirty side of the media.
It does seem that Mann has a glue problem (although there's been a few Frams too)-these MCs are violating the oil filter "Hippocratic Oath"-first do NO HARM!!

Just wanted to follow up with a picture after I removed the contaminated oil filter and thankfully, that stuff is still in there and didn't come out of the filter. Not sure if it would do any damage if it did, but I just want to say for anyone who runs these filters, please inspect closely for stuff like this. The fact that several other filters from the same box had this stuff in them too, has now influenced me to buy WIX filters. Motorcraft is sloppy, now.

Oil Filter Debris.jpg

Just wanted to follow up with a picture after I removed the contaminated oil filter and thankfully, that stuff is still in there and didn't come out of the filter. Not sure if it would do any damage if it did, but I just want to say for anyone who runs these filters, please inspect closely for stuff like this. The fact that several other filters from the same box had this stuff in them too, has now influenced me to buy WIX filters. Motorcraft is sloppy, now.

View attachment 203995
I think I would contact Motorcraft or Mann-I don't know if they would care, but it's still a good idea to let them know if there's an issue. I have a couple FL820S filters left for my MGM 4.6, I'll be going over them with a fine-tooth comb before I use them.

Back