all cars have backup cameras in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: whip
People need to be responsible for their own actions.

No one disagrees with this. The disagreement is over whether the death of an innocent person is an acceptable way to promote that responsibility.

Again, I agree that this backup camera mandate is probably a bad idea -- but only because it probably costs too much for how many people it will save. These "personal responsibility" arguments are really, really disturbing.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Originally Posted By: pandus13

the legislation was started and supported by a mom that run over a 9 or 11 years old girl with a big SUV.
she did it so fast that the daughter (yes, her own daughter) didn't have time to react...

No, it wasn't.

The changes to FMVSS No. 111 49 CFR, Parts 571 & 585 is a direct result of the Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007. H.R. 1216 was introduced in Feb. 2007, passed through the house in Dec 2007, passed through the senate in Feb 2008, and signed into law by the president in Feb 2008.

Cameron Gulbransen was a 2 year old who was backed over by his father while moving the family truck from the garage to the driveway. This happened in 2002.

The KT Safety Act mandated three things: Enhanced rearward visibility to prevent back over accidents, automatic reversal of power windows and closures when an obstruction is detected, and a transmission interlock (BTSI) to prevent auto transmissions being shifted out of park without the brakes being applied in all ignition positions.

Of those three mandates, the BTSI fix has already been made, the "enhanced rearward visibility" fix will be fully implemented in 2018 with rear cameras, and implementation of reversing power windows has been shelved by NHTSA. NHTSA says their studies of pinch deaths (also mandated by the KT Safety Act) shows that the new "pull to close" window switches and auto-reversing systems on express close power windows (both of which are required through previous legislation) have eliminated the strangulation deaths that the KT Safety Act were seeking to prevent.

Thanks for educating me.
sorry, i got too trusty of a TV documentary (duh).
Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: pandus13
the legislation was started and supported by a mom that run over a 9 or 11 years old girl with a big SUV.
she did it so fast that the daughter (yes, her own daughter) didn't have time to react...

How will cameras help this situation? The driver went so fast, the child couldn't react. How about slowing down, and not compromising on safety? People need to be responsible for their own actions.

That incident also happen in a bank's parking lot.
i put it in the same league as the parents forgetting their kids/pets in a scorching oven vehicle.
i almost got run over (with a baby in my arms) by a minivan that got hit lateral by a big SUV that took the exit from the spot too speedy and too sharp. pfewww, 1 foot difference...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back