Airbnb, VRBO, Hotel/Motel. Which do u prefer?

We don't do vacations much anymore or travel much. Always did hotels/motels.

My brother has tried Airbnb numerous times and liked the places he rented.

What experiences have you guys had with different places to stay when away from home?

Used VRBO twice, with one being a great experience and the other a disaster. My takeaway from that was to only use VRBO properties with many good reviews and ratings.

otherwise, mostly just use hotels…

We had a trip booked to Two Harbors Minnesota with another couple and rented a VRBO for a week. Well low and behold my wife contacted covid and we lot our half of the rental money. The other couple went by themselves. Other than that we had ok luck and only rented a couple of times. My buddy was supposed to go to Florida this year and he rented a place for a couple months however the owner sold it two days before he left. Needless to say that was a very bad experience. I believe for the most part they are a benefit because if nothing else it keeps motel/hotel rates lower or enables a vacancy.

We travel a good amount. Both around the country and internationally. For five of us, hotels sometimes work, but can be cramped. For example, going to NYC, we generally stay at the downtown Conrad which gladly accepts five, but it’s $$. Some hotels have very limited room sizes and choices that aren’t crazy expensive, depending upon demand of course. Someplace else, lots of space and room choice may be far easier.

Our experiences with Airbnb have been decent. Its funny because I’ve seen the vrbo ads poking at the fact that when you use a vrbo you don’t have the owners around. In my experience, the Airbnb which have owners around have been the better ones. They aren’t nosy, you have someone knowledgeable nearby, they care more. The ones with an offsite (probably “investor”) owner tend to have more rules, less personable, etc. The thing to watch is the “cleaning fee” that they charge. We also recently had an extremely late cancellation in an international location. Very stressful. If we cancelled late we would lose all kinds of money. If the owner cancels, there is no penalty.

If you want to be moving fast, come and go, not worry about much, and not really spend time on the property, hotels are a good choice. If you want a decent experience with more amenities, intend to stay indoors at a location, and want more space, more to do, etc. then Airbnb type places are best.

I think it really depends on what you want, and where you want to stay.

Hotels are consistent, but you get pretty much a room.

Airbnb/VRBO are much more hit and miss. We have had really good, and terrible. However you get a kitchen and multi rooms, etc - assuming you rent the whole place. I would never rent a shared space.

If its me alone, or me and the wife - hotel, no brainer.

Whole family - airbnb usually.

ABnB used to be good because one reason = COST. Now it robbery and you still have to see the hairy property owner scritching his nuts.

VRBO my wife is a hound tracking down the good ones. HI, AK, NM, she done good.

Sometimes they are on both though. And after hacking down ABnB, the perfect places we found in Italy were mostly ABnB. One the owner was kinda cute.

Hotels (and Motels) have sanitation requirements (laundry wash temperature etc.) that personally I like better than using a B&B etc. At least they get frequently inspected by the local Health Dept.

I stick with Hilton brand hotels. Travel a lot, Air BnB is sketchy at best, cleaning fees are too high, and arrival time restrictions make it impossible to deal with when things don't go according to plan. BnB is great when you can rent an entire house in rural Vermont for a week. But can be beyond terrible when staying near a major city.

The post above got it right. I had a AirBnB guy show up to greet me in his underwear. That was the final straw and I stick with quality hotels now. No motels, no external entrances.

If it's just me, wife, and kid, then we do hotel. If it's with extended family or friends, then we usually do Air BnB - always had pretty good experience with it. We also did Air BnB during a few road trips when we wanted to stay at some unique place like a home made out of a shipping container in Ohio somewhere.

Used airbnb many times until about 2022 when the cleaning costs became insane. Stuck with hotels since.

Used airbnb many times until about 2022 when the cleaning costs became insane. Stuck with hotels since.
When do the cleaning fees kick in - after the fact? Haven't done airbnb in maybe a year. I don't remember paying any cleaning fees - except extra for the dogs up front.

I prefer a known Airbnb stand alone unit, but finding one worth the money is hard, you have to go through a lot of duds before you get to one you like.

5 star ratings abound for totally mediocre units.

A hotel is a safe bet if you cant do an inspection prior.

Hotel during trip, Airbnb or other rental when staying more than 3 days. Motels only when traveling without a plan and winging it. Think 5-day road trip for pleasure.

I used Airbnb in the past. I stay at superhost listings and usually cabins on peoples properties. I stayed at this cabin in Iceland twice. They built it far away from their house. I do agree the ”cleaning fees” have gone ludicrous on Airbnb since covid.

IMG_0349.jpeg

IMG_0350.jpeg

I stayed in an Airbnb once, because it was really cheap and fairly nice. Everything was clean and we never saw the owner (but guessing by the decor and the information binder and stuff it was probably some picky lady) usually I sleep in a tent in the nearest dispersed camping area or on a relatives couch/spare bed.

It's nice to have a huge family, there's usually a backyard to set up your tent in.

Depends. On a three or more day stay, I always want a house/condo. I've had good luck but really put in work on the front side deciding what I want. If it's two nights or less, a hotel works just fine.

Now it robbery and you still have to see the hairy property owner scritching his nuts.
How is it robbery ? Most smaller places are a fraction of what a hotel would cost and unlike many that tailor to vacation areas, they aren't super strict about dates of stay, i.e. Saturday to Saturday. Sure, some will have a minimum # of nights but that's it.

And do you think Airbnb only offers rooms inside another person's home ?

Back