Adding Techron question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks don't use MMO in your fuel system.

It is not proven to do anything by certified tests, and most car makers specifically tell you NOT to use thing kind of stuff.

If you need to do anything to clean your fuel system use an APPROVED DETERGENT cleaner like Techron Concentrated, Red Line LS1 or 3M Concentrated cleaners.

They all have manufacturer approved PEA detergent in high quantitues that are proven to remove tough cabron deposits and are completely safe and will not damage fuel system plastics or rubber.

Does one have a proof that Techron cleans carbon from pistons?

I used Techron concentrate in Chevron gas while driving at hwy speeds in 2 different cars and there was no visible difference in carbon on piston when I looked through spark plug holes after one tankful.

Most of what I've read about Techron concerns fuel injector and intake valve cleanliness. They claim Techron can "reduce" combustion chamber deposits. I think if I were going to try and clean up a combustion chamber I'd use some kind of soak (MMO, Kreen, Seafoam) rather than Techron.

Yes friendly jacek:. BMW & Chevron together developed Techron to alleviate intake valve & piston carbon problems in the HP BMWs. If you do a search you may find some of the original data & pictures.
I have never seen any definitive data showing MMO does anything except lighten a billfold.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Yes friendly jacek:. BMW & Chevron together developed Techron to alleviate intake valve & piston carbon problems in the HP BMWs. If you do a search you may find some of the original data & pictures.
I have never seen any definitive data showing MMO does anything except lighten a billfold.

Absolutely.

I'll take the certified test evidence from the major manufacturers rather than some random guy in the internet claiming he couldn't see an improvement from PEA.
01.gif

Also you can look in many owners manuals and see how most manufacturers specifically state not to UNapproved additives in the fuel system. Stating also that damage could result!

Bottom line is that Techron (PEA) IS approved by the major manufacturers to be used as directed in their vehicles.

Can someone show me the same documentation for MMO?

I think I'll be waiting for a looooog time.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Techron cleaned/fixed my fuel sending unit, that was good enough for me to justify price of admission.

From my personal experience, PEA based cleaners (Techron, Redline SI-1. Gumout Regane) work, and work well. I favor Redline SI-1 and have resumed a 3oz/18gal continual use, I am combining it with LCD FP-plus 2oz/18 gal, this combination has a very noticable effect. I'm using the SI-1 for it superior cleaning and FP-plus for the UCL, I realize FP-plus is also a cleaner but I want the PEA chemistry in my tank, hopefully this combination doesn't have any negative chemical reactions, my guess would be that it doesn't, because if I was using FP-plus in Chevron fuel it would be the same as I am doing.

I have just 5000km (about 3000mi) on my one year old VW GTI. Getting my first oil change in a couple of weeks.
I have no current issues.

Is this too early to bother using something like Techron in my next fill up? Or do I have so little mileage that it is a complete waste at this point.
The only reason I think of it now is to do it just before the oil change as others have recommended.

My next change won't be for another year.

Originally Posted By: fredf
I have just 5000km (about 3000mi) on my one year old VW GTI. Getting my first oil change in a couple of weeks.
I have no current issues.

Is this too early to bother using something like Techron in my next fill up? Or do I have so little mileage that it is a complete waste at this point.
The only reason I think of it now is to do it just before the oil change as others have recommended.

My next change won't be for another year.

Could not hurt, and the way fuels gum up these days it would probably be helpful with that little amount of driving/year. Hit her with a small dose and drive it around some!

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
I think if I were going to try and clean up a combustion chamber I'd use some kind of soak (MMO, Kreen, Seafoam) rather than Techron.

I did that and soaks were very effective in removing carbon, at least partially (Kreen more so than MMO) in one of the cars. However, carbon reappeared quickly and Techron did nothing to reverse that. This is why I asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back