A message to cat owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took her in for her dental Thursday. I feel absolutely awful; they had to remove 7 teeth. She had a dental disease called Feline Odontoclastic Resorbtive Lesions. I told the doctor and the hygienist that I am very sorry for not bringing her in sooner for a dental. I take her in every year for her annual shots and every year since 2010 they've been recommending a dental because of her tartar buildup on her teeth. I was too afraid to do it because they kept telling me there's a risk of her not waking up from the anesthesia. Well, now I'm wishing very much that I would have taken that risk!

I always bought her the best food and always took her in every year for her shots, but the one thing I was always too afraid to do is bring her in for a dental. I feel like I deserve to go to a jail of some kind. There should be a jail for people who neglect their pets. The hygienist tried to make me feel better by saying the disease would have eventually taken her teeth anyway, regardless of regular teeth cleanings, but as easy as it would be to take the hygienist's advice, I cannot let myself off the hook. Somebody needs to take responsibility for this crime and it should be me.

I'm writing this post to urge all of you who own cats to please not let this happen to you. Take your cats in and have their teeth checked out. If their teeth have any tartar build up at all, make an appointment and have their teeth cleaned.

Same goes for dogs and their teeth. The risk of not waking up from anaesthesia is always a possibility, even for humans. They tell you that to cover their own butts in the unlikely event that you or your pet do not come out of anaesthesia.
The risk of anaesthesia is very low versus letting a disease run it's course. Doctors suggest something with risk if the benefit outweighs the risk and the risk itself is low.
Don't sweat it though. How old is the cat? Animals lose teeth with age, just like people do. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

Hi Merkava,

I can understand how you feel, I've had cats all my life. Years ago they really didn't do dental care on pets. It's only been in the past 10 years or so that they started pushing it.

My current cat is 5. He was checked last year and the teeth appeared fine. I too dread the thought the general anesthetic. I almost lost him at 2 when he had a distemper shot. He had a reaction, his red blood count dropped, and he became anemic. It was like picking up a rag doll - I thought I was doing the right thing too. For a month we were back and forth to the vet for blood tests and I was giving him medication 2x a day. Fortunately he recovered, but is never having a distemper shot again.

Your pets are family. You do what you can but you can't prevent everything from happening. You did take care of your cat. If it was someone else, or if they were out in the wild, what "might" have happened then? You don't know.

Give your cat an extra stroke under the chin.

Yes, I'm a softy with cats guys - give me a break!

Since there was a risk of her not waking up, I dont blame you for waiting.

When our Newfoundland was 10, the groomers found a small bump on her knee. It didn't seem to bother her so we just left it at that especially since we too were worried about her not waking up. Fast forward to her being 12 and the thing needed removed. She pulled through like nothing even happened.
21.gif

My cat hates even getting in the cat carrier. He is an independent cat and goes outside for a few days at a time when its warm. In the winter he stalks me all over my house. His claws go through my sweats. Likes to sit on the back of my office chair while I am in the chair. Is waiting for me outside my bedroom door at 7 AM. Watched as a vole ate some dry food scraps next to his food bowl.

anything more than a few drops of flea and tick medicine and the cat is getting antifreeze for dinner. My kids are expensive enough.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Try not to be too hard on yourself.

I agree. You didn't neglect the cat...you did what you thought was best.

How old is the cat?

She was estimated to be about 1 year old when I got her in 2003, so that puts her at about 13. She's always been a very loving cat. She deserves better than me. I hope lightening strikes me dead.

Merk, our Vet gave same warning about our dog maybe not waking up after surgery. It scared us so we only did essential stuff. Only did the teeth thing once he removed 1 tooth at the time.
With each pet you get wiser. It sounds like your cat IS lucky to have you.

Our Vet leveled with us and said the older the dog (pet) is the greater chance of not coming out of anesthesia.

We have two cats. We give them treats that are hard and crunchy to keep the tarter down. It works very well. Never need cleaning. I do check the teeth myself every few months. The Vet says they look great too. Regular dry food isn't hard enough to keep their teeth clean.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
anything more than a few drops of flea and tick medicine and the cat is getting antifreeze for dinner. My kids are expensive enough.

Oh God. Here's one of "those" men. Excuse me while I go vomit.

But thanks for the post Merkeva. I have a cat that I love to death. I, like you, buy the best food you can buy and take her to the vet regularly. She's not even 2 yet but I'll be sure to keep up on her dental.

Don't beat yourself up. Like a previous person said, you did what you thought was best. I'm sure she's lived a wonderful life.

Last edited:
Hey Merk, chill. I've had cats all my life and every one of them has been a blessing. Best pet one can have is the one you rescue or simply walks into your life.
If you let that cat into your life and have cared for it all these years, you are the man!, that's one lucky cat! Just like old folks, animals pick up the pieces and carry on. You are a very good pet owner! (Or do they own us......?)...

Thank you for helping to educate people and don't be too hard on yourself. (I know, it's tough) The whole concept of dental maintenance on domestic animals is a new and unheard of concept to most people.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How old is the cat?

She was estimated to be about 1 year old when I got her in 2003, so that puts her at about 13. She's always been a very loving cat. She deserves better than me. I hope lightening strikes me dead.

Whoa dude. There's people out there that make horrible pet owners and you don't sound like one of them.
My girlfriend has worked at a vet clinic for 7 years and has seen quite a few outright neglectful owners. One guy left his dog in his car on a 100+ degree day with no windows down or anything. The dog died of course and by the time he got to the vet my girlfriend was pulling a dog in rigor mortis out of a car. There's people out there who have never even taken their animals to see a vet. Others decide that a simple procedure on a very young cat is too expensive so they'd like the cat euthanized. Some people flat out abuse their animals. We have a cat that came into the clinic she works at that was abused and neglected by his previous owner. He abandoned the cat at the vet so we ended up taking him home.
Not doing a dental isn't a big deal. Cats aee pretty resilient animals. I once heard a vet say that you could put a bunch of bones in a bag and a cat would crawl out 2 weeks later. They're seriously tough little buggers. I'm sure shes going to be just fine and you didnt do anything wrong. Worrying about anaesthesia is totally normal, anything and everything has a certain degree of risk involved, especially when it comes to medicine.

You did good you love your cat and im sure you make your cat part of the family. Maybe you did the correct thing by not doing anything to the teeth. Cats are cool. I have cats and dogs and they are all great

merk, you did fine. years ago there was no such thing as dental care for cats. i feed dry food and so far, our cats have done fine.

Last edited:
As a non emotional let me give you a point of view to calm you.

Is this cat of your a "breed" of some kind? Breeding, more properly inbreeding, takes away from the gene pool with each generation. Pure breads look different for a reason, they are genetic mutants. If it is, well, it's fate. You could not do anything about it. Point one, not your fault.

The cat would have possible ended up as road kill or became a chew toy, or most likely been put to sleep by the pound, or the "humane" society. You have eliminated every likely way for it to die. Point two, you are a friggin hero.

The natural cycle of the cat has been disrupted when the cat( maybe it's parents) were rescued, essentially kidnapped. At this point you are responsible for the cat not meeting it's natural needs for the sake of your companionship. Point three, you caused it all.

Now here is where most all cat owners are at fault for destroying these animals, myself included. I will give my cats story.

Cat is feral, giving it the genetic advantage over the common pure and half bred. As a kitten it was taken away from it's mother to make a pet for my wife and kids. Had an eye infection, which resolved with a few sprinkles of PennG, in the wild it would have lost her eye, and died later. Grew up, 10 kittens later was gutted (spay?). Now this cat dominates, medium size, she hunts rabbits, all small rodents, bluejays, and yes, even dog. Never seen a husky squeal so much. I hate the fact that I feed her this synblend dry food [censored]. To reduce obesety I stop feeding her for a day, so then she goes out and gets real food. Decapitated animals on y front step prove that. Mine is going to be sick, but not because it never sees a doctor, but because she is out of natural environment.

Individual cat owners are so called rescuers because the cat will have likely died. Cat ownership trend and people that have any animal and not giving it proper attention (forcing nature on them: play, hunt fight so on) are the reason. You and me are at fault. You alone did nothing but embarrass yourself.

I AM one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back