A letter from FRAM (from another site)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by DakAttack:
I just love it when Scott Jacobs writes

"We had no choice but to use a steel end disk with the X2 filter media to provide uniform Extended Guard oil filter construction"

You can just feel the dissapointment in his writing about the lack of cardboard in the X2.
Im glad to see a company respond to customers Inquiries though.

So in Fram's own words, in order to manufacture a BETTER oil filter, they had to use a metal end cap instead of their traditional bird cage liners. And they won't feel bad about charging a customer MORE for the "better" filter that is constructed similar to other filters costing less.

It seems that things at Allied Signal never change. Perhaps I need to go Autolite spark plug shopping again.

If Wix makes the Amsoil filters why would Amsoil show any information that suggested Wix/Napa Gold is at the bottom of the scale?

Any information that puts Fram ahead of Wix (or most any American made filter for that matter) has me wondering how accurate it can be.

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
Got this from amsoil...

Wix advertises that the 51515 has an Beta=2 at 13µ and Beta=20 at 23µ. This is also the old large FL1A equivalent. So...if Wix uses a large area of the old cheapo paper media (like most of the others), and Amsoil is using a large area of the advance syn media, Amsoil would have no problems beating all the others.

In this case, a larger filter, may actually be better. Looking at the media areas for the same filter application, and also the efficiency ratings, should give some indications of the media quality.

But alas, both efficiency ratings are missing key bits of info.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Chill Filterguy. It's too easy to push your button.

You mix big rig diesels in with regular gasoline automobile engines and hybrids. I never said those divergent uses have to use the same test. However, whether it's a Corvette, an Accord or a Supra, I don't see why a standardized test can't be applied to those similar gasoline applications. If gasoline engine applications are so different, why can I take a filter spec'd for a Ford and put it on my Toyota and get virtually identical results?

Look here, seems like it's not so difficult to do when it's a selling point:

www.baldwinfilters.com/lit/form186.pdf

427Z06:

OK...look at it the other way. Since oil filters don't make headline news and because most people don't know or care about their oil filters, why not just reveal the performance specs when asked?

Afterall, this isn't rocket science. Well...maybe for Mel it is.

You know..I don't now your name.

I don't single you out when posting unless you post like you did.

It gets old with your snide personal references.

All I attempt to do is try to explain things as best as possible, as simply as possible.

There are all kinds of people who read this forum. If someone wants a more technical answer I will try to provide it.

You however, seem to want to make things personal. I do not appreciate that.

If you have a point you want to raise, I have and will answer it. If you don't like the answer, i'm not going to make one up.

Filter Companies rarely provide testing information for consumers with the parameters of the test. Especially because they private label for others. If a private brand wants to tout certain qualities of their filter they can.

I see you've found a Baldwin Bulletin. Impressive isn't it. What you don't know is the story behind it and why Baldwin came out with that.

If Baldwin can do that for a couple of part numbers, ask yourself why they don't do that for their entire product line? Why just the one bulletin? Ask yourself why they don't do that for popular car filters?

The reason Baldwin came out with that bulletin was to counter act Cummins and Fleetguard who had test information showing that Baldwin filters for thier engines weren't as good when tested against the Cummins specs. Those filters are all Cummins applications.

Baldwin primarily used SAE and ISO test procedures for their tests. Didn't they? They tested very well and out performed Fleetguard.

The problem is they didn't run those filters to all of the Cummins test procedures. Cummins has their own private test procedures based on ISO and SAE where they specify certain flow rates, add rates, a special test contaminant and assign a Cummins test procedure number. Not the ISO contaminant and that is what Baldwin used for most of their test. ( you can check out the fine print to confirm. Cummins requires Soft C2A. Not PTI fine for oil filter tests. Any tests showing the other contaminant is not per Cummins spec. I know I had a copy of the full Cummins procedures. There are only two tests in the bulletin where Baldwin shows they used Cummins test procedures. When I did my training seminars at Champ we showed all of our Cummins filters in the Luberfiner brand tested to Cummins specs. Not SAE or ISO.)

Which brings me back to my point, which i've posted before, unless you know all of the parameters of a test and have the data to compare apples to apples based on the parameters of the test...you don't know the whole picture. And even with Baldiwn showing bits of the test they used, you still don't have the flow rate, Add rate, test termination, etc. Do you?

Now this is not to say Baldwin is a bad filter. Lot's of fleets use their filters. It's just that their performance wasn't as good as Fleetguard across the board. And that was the information Cummins/Fleeguard were showing fleets at the time. Baldwin had to react. Otherwise you'd never see a bulletin like that from a filter company.

So as Paul Harvey would say..now you know the rest of the story.

and btw..Soft C2A..is a special "sludge" compound of material which includes carbon black, not test "dirt" like PTI fine or AC Fine. Hence totally different test results.
--------------------------------------

Now back to your question..you use Baldwins bulletin as an example...well why aren't there Detroit engine filters in there? Caterpillar? Volvo? Mack?

You want to use a Ford filter for a Toyota or vice versa...only because the threads match. It doesn't mean the filter is better.

You confuse being able to match threads, maybe OD's, maybe lenght of the filter and come up with something that works.

You want the two engine companies to agree to run the exact same test procedures and parameters. You really expect that? Just because a filter filters oil on a gasoline engine doesn't mean all engine manufaturers are going to run "standardized" test parameters. They do run standardized procedures.

You claim you get the same "results". Which means what? They both last your oil change interval? They both performed relatively equally in oil analysis? Since when is oil anylsis part of OEM specs or filter performance specs? Did they both performed relatively equally in particle counts?

Or maybe you are using a brand of filter which uses the same media in both. In which case you shouldn't see a difference, should you?

And if you are using different brands..say Wix and Purolator...is it not conceivable the two filters have similar performance medias and there is no drastic difference. Or a difference "that" noticeable in whatever it is you are doing..like say oil anaylsis.

However, in the other thread I posed the offer for you to test a $2 and change Super Tech filter versus $14-15 Amsoil (or whatever they go for). A filter 6-7 times the cost of the Super Tech. You can be the judge if the Amsoil gives you 6-7 times the performance. Or if the Super Tech is 6-7 times worse. Those two filters definately have different medias.

Let's compare the filters and see.

You could have a filter that traps 100% at the 1u level - and it would be in bypass nearly 100% of the time. Do the math on filtration efficiency in that scenario...
wink.gif

quote:

Got this from amsoil... like theyre to be trusted
patriot.gif
128.gif

-
 -

I find that interesting.

If Amsoil doesn't have test results showing exactly those results, they would be in bigger trouble with the FTC than they are. It is possible that conditions they designed their filters to meet and test using are not the most relevant. However, I find it interesting the AC is mid pack among filters mostly costing more. The highly rated WIX/NAPA share the bottom with the despised Fram. One of my first posts here was suggesting the AC for the best filter under $4.

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
If Baldwin can do that for a couple of part numbers, ask yourself why they don't do that for their entire product line? Why just the one bulletin? Ask yourself why they don't do that for popular car filters?

The reason Baldwin came out with that bulletin was to counter act Cummins and Fleetguard who had test information showing that Baldwin filters for thier engines weren't as good when tested against the Cummins specs. Those filters are all Cummins applications.

Baldwin primarily used SAE and ISO test procedures for their tests. Didn't they? They tested very well and out performed Fleetguard.

The problem is they didn't run those filters to all of the Cummins test procedures. Cummins has their own private test procedures based on ISO and SAE where they specify certain flow rates, add rates, a special test contaminant and assign a Cummins test procedure number. Not the ISO contaminant and that is what Baldwin used for most of their test. ( you can check out the fine print to confirm. Cummins requires Soft C2A. Not PTI fine for oil filter tests. Any tests showing the other contaminant is not per Cummins spec. I know I had a copy of the full Cummins procedures. There are only two tests in the bulletin where Baldwin shows they used Cummins test procedures. When I did my training seminars at Champ we showed all of our Cummins filters in the Luberfiner brand tested to Cummins specs. Not SAE or ISO.)

Which brings me back to my point, which i've posted before, unless you know all of the parameters of a test and have the data to compare apples to apples based on the parameters of the test...you don't know the whole picture. And even with Baldiwn showing bits of the test they used, you still don't have the flow rate, Add rate, test termination, etc. Do you?

Now this is not to say Baldwin is a bad filter. Lot's of fleets use their filters. It's just that their performance wasn't as good as Fleetguard across the board. And that was the information Cummins/Fleeguard were showing fleets at the time. Baldwin had to react. Otherwise you'd never see a bulletin like that from a filter company.

and btw..Soft C2A..is a special "sludge" compound of material which includes carbon black, not test "dirt" like PTI fine or AC Fine. Hence totally different test results.

That was exactly my point. Even when filter companies post data, they use it to obfuscate instead of providing data in a fair and consistent manner. The fact that they are posting such data shows it could be done if they wanted to.

quote:

Now back to your question..you use Baldwins bulletin as an example...well why aren't there Detroit engine filters in there? Caterpillar? Volvo? Mack?

You want to use a Ford filter for a Toyota or vice versa...only because the threads match. It doesn't mean the filter is better.

You confuse being able to match threads, maybe OD's, maybe lenght of the filter and come up with something that works.

You want the two engine companies to agree to run the exact same test procedures and parameters. You really expect that? Just because a filter filters oil on a gasoline engine doesn't mean all engine manufaturers are going to run "standardized" test parameters. They do run standardized procedures.

There you go again. Mixing in big rig diesels with much simpler requirements of gasoline passenger car engines. And you still won't acknowledge the fact that the exact same part number for an oil filter is used on a wide range of makes, models and sized engines. And Champ Labs does this too, not just the other filter manufacturers. Come on Filterguy, the most simplest of minds can deduce that they're can't be that much of a difference between gasoline passenger car engine filters if such has be the norm for decades. Get off the short yellow school bus once and awhile and put on your thinking cap.

quote:

You claim you get the same "results". Which means what? They both last your oil change interval? They both performed relatively equally in oil analysis? Since when is oil anylsis part of OEM specs or filter performance specs? Did they both performed relatively equally in particle counts?

Or maybe you are using a brand of filter which uses the same media in both. In which case you shouldn't see a difference, should you?

And if you are using different brands..say Wix and Purolator...is it not conceivable the two filters have similar performance medias and there is no drastic difference. Or a difference "that" noticeable in whatever it is you are doing..like say oil anaylsis.

To answer your questions; all the following, yes, yes, it's the only tools at our disposal and Terry believes it's a reliable measure, yes, that's what I've been saying all along, and yes.

quote:

However, in the other thread I posed the offer for you to test a $2 and change Super Tech filter versus $14-15 Amsoil (or whatever they go for). A filter 6-7 times the cost of the Super Tech. You can be the judge if the Amsoil gives you 6-7 times the performance. Or if the Super Tech is 6-7 times worse. Those two filters definately have different medias.

Let's compare the filters and see.

First, get it out of your head that I pick on or hate SuperTech or any of the Champ Lab filters. 2/3 of the filters I have on hand are Champ Lab filters, with 1/2 of those SuperTechs.

My complaint is with all filter manufacturers. For the demands of a gasoline powered passenger vehicle, I see no reason why they can't agree upon realistic, standardized and relevant test procedures and then offer the information accordingly. Supposedly, they all meet the OEM requirements, so they can avoid releasing any proprietary info.

In the example I gave above, both Wix and Amsoil publish data, so we know they at least measuring something. However, even you acknowledge they leave out key pieces of data so any analysis is severely hampered. This is the part I object to. You come here and defend this industry practice, so guess who gets an earful of my criticism?

I've already acquired the SuperTech and Amsoil filters as spec'd for the vehicle and we're proceeding with the test with or without you. You want to participate, your more than welcome.

Why is it you want standardized testing on gasoline engines and think diesel engines filtration shouldn't have them?

I mentioned that Baldwin didn't show comparative testing on other engines. Do you think Cummins , Cat, Detroit, Mack etc should have standardized testing? or just car filters? What about lawn and garden tractors? Farm tractors? Marine engines? Alot of them are gasoline..should they have the same standard test parameters?

You think just because a particular part number can fit various models of manufacturers engines there is some sort of conspiracy going on.

Filter brands have this very basic statement:
Our filters meet or exceed engine manufacturers specifications.

The fact that a filter can fit a Ford and a Chrysler or Ford and Toyota doesn't mean any more than that. That statement doesn't claim using one part number for two applications means that both engine companies have the same specs. It means that filter part number meets or exceeds those "minimum" specs for those engines in which it has been cataloged. It doesn't mean every filter you can find that is not cataloged for the engine will meet those "minimum" specs.

Just because you personally don't see much difference in what you are doing does not mean that engine companies are going to rely on just oil analysis for their engines. Or particle counts. There is more to their concerns than that.

You fail to realize, or ignore, that engine companies have to develop their engines and filters for a wide range of uses and abuses by the general public. Because you and I take care of our engines does not mean the great unwashed do. We may see similar results in oil anaylsis between filters of different brands.

However, that does not absolve the engine companies from considering worse case scenarios. Most first oil changes are done at the dealer. Would you like to hazard a guess as to the variance the dealer and OEM see's? That is why there are certain margins built into the filter specs. One can improve efficiency and have a heck of a good filter if one knew that the oil was changed at 3,000 miles every time and not 3,500 or 4,000 or more. But the reality is people run longer between changes than the recommended change interval.

But back to what you see..filters get more efficient as they load up. Because you take care of your engine is it not conceivable that your engine creates low wear rates. That the medias and brands you have chosen will have little differential between them at low restriction due to little contaminant in the oil. So the significance of your personal observations may be due to your filters doing their job in equal measure. You may be able to put on the Amsoil and still not see "huge" differences. Or differences "worth" the price differential. That doesn't mean the higher priced better media doesn't "test" out better in the lab. Lab results and real life usage are not 100% equitable. Lab results do provide engine and filter companies predictable measuring and testing values for analysis. That analysis is used by engine companies to determine minimum specs for the filter in order to protect the engine through the recommended oil change interval with "some" safety factor built in.

You might ask yourself why someone can use a Fram filter--what some in here consider a low end product--on their engine for 200,000 miles or more and change their oil every 3,000 miles or so and have no major engine repairs. You have heard those stories, correct? And if so....didn't the engine companies minimum spec do their job? And if that is the case, why should there be any other media used in a filter by all the various brands out there? The proof is there...if you take care of your engine as required, it will last no matter what brand you use if it is cataloged for that engine. And maybe that is what your oil analysis is telling you.

I locked this topic for a while but have decided to reopen it but am keeping an eye on it.

Play nice boys!
smile.gif

[ September 14, 2006, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

427Z06:

I have tried to answer your questions. I'm sure others reading my answers can follow along.

You complain that filter companies do not print standardized testing information run to the exact same parameters. Yet you are the King at generalizations.

Not once have you given any information as to what you are talking about.

What filters brands and part numbers have you used where you have seen these similar results?
What were those results?
What led you to chose the part numbers that you did? ( micron ratings? Beta ratios? Flow? Or just because the filter was cataloged for the engine? What?)
What engine(s) are you talking about?
What was the oil change interval?
What was the oil analysis results?

You want explainations to your questions yet you provide no specifics. Yet you complain about wanting specifics from filter companies.
I think I fully explained why you could get the results you did. But not having the information to peruse and look over basically means that no one knows what your talking about.

So can you share this information or is it proprietary?

And to help me explain answers to you for the future; can you tell me what your interpretation of two filter elements in which one is rate 10 microns nominal by one company and the other 12 microns nominal by a different company.

How is the "beta ratio" determined in the ISO testing procedure? ( Not the mathematics of it..we all know that)

Wow, some heat here. Here's my tidbit but I dont want to get eaten alive being the topic starter and all
smile.gif

If oils have to pass a minimum standard (API), why don't filters? Or do they?

That's why you see "filters meet or exceed OEM Specifications"..and are cataloged that way.

Otherwise the OEM would send out a tech service bulletin stating not to use brand X part number Y on their specific engine. Which has happened once in a blue moon, whereby the filter company redesigns the filter and usually assigns a new part number so there is no confusion in the marketplace as to the correct part number to use.

quote:

My point exactly. There's a minimum standard that API or ACEA oils have to pass. And these standards are published for all to see. You can even read up on how they developed the tests. Now the more honest and customer oriented oil formulators/marketeers actually publish their test results.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/701.pdf

If not, then we go step further and hire a consultant like Terry to interpret our UOAs. And when were really interested in a well performing oil we have it analyzed like we did with GC.

There's plenty of filtration standards around like SAE HS806 and SAE J1858, and cleanliness standards like ISO 4406:1999, however, filter manufacturers/marketeers prefer to rely on marketing glitze and half truths, and hide under the umbrella of "meets OEM specifications".

How much bacon are they protecting anyway
confused.gif

I mean, is this a "club" ...where "If you don't show them yours ..I won't show them mine." type thing??

Champ doesn't advertise ..at least much (probably in trade mags and whatnot) Puro ..yes, M1 yes, Fram YES ...but no matter how you shake it up ..they're putting a global mask on a $0.50-$0.85 item.

To what end?

Could be more of an identy problem with secondary filters sold.. secondary, meaning Baldwin Filter manufacture filter for Baldein, Hastings, .... , .... and so on. The other companies don't want reports or specs to leak out as they have built a reputation (sales) on one "brand" being better than others. There are quite a few less actual manufactures and probably more "assemblers" out there than what one realizes.

We get wine in bulk from Califoria. As long as we store it in a tank and then use it in a blend it can have the designation of Cellared and bottle by. If we bought already bottled wine with no labels, then it must say "bottled by" and refer to the orignal place of bottling. Even wineries we bottle wine for if you look closely it will have the name of the winery/vineyard but have an address of "Fennville, MI" on the label, when they (winery we bottle for) don't even have an office cellar in Fennville. Alcohol is a little trickier than filters because of the rules we play by with TTB and others. We cannot state certain things on the label unless they are true and we can't imply that certain things are true either. If it's cranberry wine it has to be made from real cranberries and fermented with a formula approved by the TTB. If it's grape wine, stipped with carbon, and has cranberry juice concentrate added to it, along with a liberal dose of sugar it has to state on the bottle, "grape wine with other natual flavors added" It can't state an appliation either (where it came from)

With filter manufacturers, there may be many that receive a nearly complete product from "somewhere else" and just have to put the "O" ring, paint or whatever on it to complete the requiement of manufactured at... I am speculating, and I just don't know about the last part, but would seem to make some sense.
Vern

Interesting Nebraskan.

But let's get back to automobiles. Many may know that much of the content in passenger cars/trucks is produced by outside contractors. These components either follow a design and/or performance specification of the vehicle's manufacturer. But it's the company that you buy the car from that's going to provide you with it's design/performance specifications unless you buy the component directly from the company that produced it as a replacement for the OEM part.

Interesting side note to SAE's involvement in testing procedures:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0508/20/A01-283759.htm

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

There's plenty of filtration standards around like SAE HS806 and SAE J1858, and cleanliness standards like ISO 4406:1999, however, filter manufacturers/marketeers prefer to rely on marketing glitze and half truths, and hide under the umbrella of "meets OEM specifications".

Ya' what?

Is this subject matter to confusing for you?

"OEM Specifications" are derived from the very same ISO and SAE test procedures you mentioned. The difference is the OEM specifies the parameters of the test.

Is it to confusing for you to understand ISO and SAE just set out the test procedure and that is all. It is up to the OEM, or private label customer, or Filter manufacturer to specify the parameters in order to run the test.

It is NOT marketing glitz or "half truths". Regardless of your demented version of filter testing.

And there is not an "umbrella" of hiding behind meets or exceeds OEM specs. Or do you want to use a filter that doesn't meet or exceed those specs? Voiding warranty is the issue and the filter had better meet or exceed. How much a filter exceeds those specs is up to the individual brands and what they want and how they go to market.

Apparently this must be beyond your comprehension.

Going back to the example you posted regarding Baldwin. Baldwin clearly stated which tests they used. Fleetguard never claimed Baldwin did not meet specs. Neither was a half truth or glitz.

Baldwin printed that the Cummins spec is 60% efficiency..don't you think there just might be one or two medias capable of meeting that minimum spec? There are quite a few customers who swear by Baldwin filters. Who do oil analysis and are happy campers. Are you saying that their own experiences are based on half truths or glitz?

Do you think Baldwin would manufacture a filter for a $20,000 engine just so that they can have warranty issues?

Now their current filters may not test out as good as the genuine Fleetguard. I dunno. They could have changed their media since that tech bulletin. But Baldwin was not telling half truths and technical bulletins are not marketing glitz.

Okay ..so, Mel, you're saying that Ford may spec:

Must produce Beta 2=20 and Beta 20=40 @ no less then 4 gpm flow @ 100C, for a spec (this is abreviated, surely)

While Jeep/Dc may have a higher or finer spec.

Yet the offering from whomever exceeds those levels in all parameters.

So, when Wix spec sheet shows betas of 2/20 19/38 and a burst strenght of 275 and a flow rate of 7-9 gpm ....

..that every one of those spec's exceed the requirements of any OEM application that they list for it.

That surely makes sense.

HOWEVER. In advertising, they could surely take the results of the lowest demanding application (Let's say for example 2.8 gpm) and publish those results as proof of their level of efficiency and still claim that they tested under ISO/SAE/whatever testing procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back