98 Camry - Am I being stupid repairing this car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know a good mechanic? I would have him (not a dealer) evaluate the car and have him help you make a decision. Those were good cars and it may be worth keeping.

The high cost of labor for repairs is the reason why most unmechanical people buy new cars and trade them in at the end of the warranty period.

Everything that you mentioned is normal maintenance for that vehicle, but I agree with the premise that you're paying too much for shop labor.

I drive a 2000 Avalon XL with 99K. I do the majority of the work myself with a Haynes manual. The timing belt and water pump replacement w/antifreeze were done at the same time in a repair shop and that bill was under $300. (I'm 68 and didn't want to fool around timing the DOHC V6.) I plan on giving this car to the grandkids as their first DD.

Keep the car and find someone cheaper to do the maintenance you can't do.

What's your financial situation? (don't post it, just consider it) If you can easily afford a new car and want one, go for it.

If money is tight, start wrenching and fix this stuff yourself or with the help of a buddy that is handy.

I think this analysis is spot on.
My lady and I have a 98 Camry too. Mint condition when we got it from her grandmother and it had only 67k miles. It needs 4 tires coming and brakes.. But it runs perfect, shifts perfect, and timing belt has been changed at 63k miles. If rust is no issue.... Motor runs good and car shifts good... Keep it rolling.

That all sounds reasonable to me, it is almost a 20 year old car. Time is as hard on vehicles as miles. If you drive 40k a year, it is very inexpensive to get to 300K miles without much more maintenance costs than you have spent. More timing belts, fewer exhaust repairs.

If your miles are mostly city miles and/or short trips, the car may cost more to maintain per mile, but is still low per year of operation.

Everything you've listed would be considered normal wear items on any car.
You should either start doing some DIY or find a less costly indie wrench.
One hot tip is to find a good tech who does side work in his own garage for cash.
You'll save about half on labor and you'll also then be able to find your own good parts cheap with no shop markup.
I've never spent a total of $5600.00 maintaining any car, including those we've put 200K+ on.

The problem is you're taking it to a mechanic that is charging WAYYYY too much.

Looks like you've done maybe $1,500 worth of parts. Being that you barely drive the car, you should have plenty of time to work on it. Investing in some tools will be a great money saver, almost everything on that list is super simple to replace.

Try owning a VW. Mine has needed well over $5,000 in work the past year, and needs a lot more.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Being that you barely drive the car, you should have plenty of time to work on it. Investing in some tools will be a great money saver, almost everything on that list is super simple to replace.

You'd be surprised by how unmechanical some people are. Ask them what's the difference between a #2 and #3 Phillips screwdriver and they'll turn around ask you what "Phillips" means.

Originally Posted By: jim_a
Need to vent and get some feedback.
Now it's time for new brakes and the fuel filler pipe is rusted and needs replaced. That's another $1K

Curious to get feedback on what the BITOG members say. I need the car therapy.
smile.gif

Learn to do some of your own maintenance. A new filler neck is probably $200. If you did it yourself it would be under $300 bucks. There are youtube videos on how to do this.

Same with brakes. You could change rotors and pads for under $200.

Last edited:
My suggestion is learning how to DIY. You will save huge amounts of money and gain much more satisfaction. Most mechanical work is just removing parts and putting them back together.

Originally Posted By: Run
My suggestion is learning how to DIY. You will save huge amounts of money and gain much more satisfaction. Most mechanical work is just removing parts and putting them back together.

You'd be surprised by how unmechanical some people are. They don't know whether to use pliers or a wrench to remove a bolt. Some of them don't know which way the bolt turns. Some of them don't even know what a bolt is!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
2013 - 2004 = 9 years

9 x 12 = 108 months

($11,000 + $5,600) / 108 = $153.70 per month over 9 years

Can you buy a new car for that ?

You could lease a Corolla for $159, our dealer includes oil changes, no other service should be needed for the first 30k miles.

This is why its not a good idea of none mechanically inclined people to have older cars. That $5600 in repairs could probably have been done yourself for $1500 in parts. If you fix them yourself the cost per mile stays low, if you pay shop rates it does not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
2013 - 2004 = 9 years

9 x 12 = 108 months

($11,000 + $5,600) / 108 = $153.70 per month over 9 years

Can you buy a new car for that ?

You could lease a Corolla for $159, our dealer includes oil changes, no other service should be needed for the first 30k miles.

This is why its not a good idea of none mechanically inclined people to have older cars. That $5600 in repairs could probably have been done yourself for $1500 in parts. If you fix them yourself the cost per mile stays low, if you pay shop rates it does not.

And this is why I am absolutely terrified of buying used cars.

My gut tells me that the OP's car had more miles on the car than what was showing on the odometer when he bought it.

Last edited:
No, to answer the question in the subject line.

$5600/132 months = $43/month.

Add in $1000 for the current repairs brings it up to:

$6600/133 months = $49.62/month.

A national financial coach has suggested saving $100 per month for future repairs on a vehicle. So you're doing pretty well especially considering the brutal area you live. Not only for the weather but the pot hole ridden roads. I live nearby and those items don't sound unreasonable.

Where did you buy the car and who does the servicing on it?

Originally Posted By: CKN
My gut tells me that the OP's car had more miles on the car than what was showing on the odometer when he bought it.
Well, Toyota does put 6 digit odometer in the car, so unless it was literally rolled back, his mileage is accurate.

Thanks for all the feedback. Picked up the car this afternoon. I’ll try to answer all the questions.

This car was purchased from a Toyota dealer. When I purchased the car I replaced all the fluids in the car, switching the tranny and engine oil to synthetic. A few months later I started using AutoRX to battle sludge. It really helped.

The frame and body are in pretty decent shape. I found a good ole boy to do some body work on it a few years ago. A few areas came back so I had more done recently. For a car this age in Ohio it looks pretty good. A few winters I had it oil sprayed.

The car drives nicely and the transmission shifts very smoothly.

A dealer quoted me $765 just for the fuel filler neck job. The range of dealer pricing is always amazing.

I’m using Akron Auto Clinic for most of the work. For exhaust work Decker Muffler in Akron is hard to beat. AAA is convenient to use since they are close to where I work. I can drop it off before work, they drop me off and pick me up in the afternoon. If the car is not ready they give me a free loaner car. I like the owner and he’s honest. Some of that trumps the pain of finding another repair shop.

At this point I have no interest in doing any work on the car, outside of changing my own oil. I’m willing to pay to have it done. I’d rather spend the time doing other fun things. For me money isn’t actually the issue. I’m fortunate that I could go out tomorrow and pay cash for a new car, but I’m too frugal to do that. I just want to wring the most out of this car until it no longer makes sense to put any more in it. That’s the line I have a hard time distinguishing. When that day comes I’ll start driving the Prius and we’ll get a new car for my wife to drive. We avg 1K a month on the Prius and it's coming up on 100K. I can see her driving it another 3-5 years. That car will last a long time.

The bill was just over $1K. Here’s what was done:

— Diagnostic testing and tracking down the problem

— Replace front pads, rotors and calipers (they were frozen)

— Clean, adjust and inspect rear brakes

— Replace fuel filler neck and gas cap

$519 in labor, $553 in parts. Then I got an 8% discount on that.

Last edited:
Just my opinion after having owned a 2000 Jetta that needed maintenance and repairs that I performed myself, I think if you are paying someone to repair your car, you may want to consider cutting you losses and look for a newer 2nd hand car. If you're doing the repair yourself and just buying the parts, I would keep it. Now, you have to weigh how much your time is worth on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back