97 Ford 150, 5w30 or 10w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out the UOA on my 04 F150 5.4 in the UOA section. I ran 10w-30 during some pretty cold months here in North Texas and the uoa came back fine. I agree with Blue99(thanks for the chart) and 1sttruck about Ford knowing best OUTSIDE the USA where they don’t have c.a.f.e. requirements.

FYI, 5W20 was not the recommended oil for the 97 4.6 it was 5w30. Ford did not start recommending the 5w20 until 98. Since I am not using any oil and my 4.6 is running great on 5w30, I believe I am going to stick with it. Thanks for the comments.

My 97 GT with the 4.6 says 5W-30 in the owner's maunal and on the oil cap, however, the dealer told me they put 5W-20 in almost everything on the lot (used ford's), they had a 1992 Taurus for sale and they put 5w-20 in it when they changed the oil prior to sale.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:

Anyone get the impression that way too much bandwidth is used up @ BITOG debating viscosity?
smile.gif

We'd have no life if that was the case
tongue.gif
Remember the ladies RV that blew on 5w-20 and it was "arguably" inside the recomndations of Ford... 10w-30 will save you
grin.gif

Are you referring to this lady? V10 Locked up.
If so, the problem was that the lady did not change the oil and was therefore denied warranty. It was not proven that the oil caused the problem, although this was the reason given.

Hey Wayne, that chart was probably printed after 97. All I know is that in 1997 when my truck was new, the owners' manual recommended 5w30. The oil cap states 5w30. The service manager recommended 5w30. No 5w20 was mentioned at that time.

quote:

Originally posted by 1sttruck:
So far it seems that Ford fairly consistently recommends a heavier oil for the same vehicle/engine outside of the US, so I'd go with a heavier oil, since 'Ford knows best' when there is no EPA/CAFE pressure.

That's the way I see it, too. Heck, I'm even considering putting M1 0w40 in my wife's '97 Expedition 4.6L during it's next oil change. I have too much oil & not enough vehicles to use it all in
smile.gif

quote:

What does anybody think about running Rotella 5W-40 Syn, in Minnesota, with a 4.6L Ford F-150?

What, no comments about 5W-40 & not in the owner's manual or not what the engine is designed for?
grin.gif

Here's a good UOA for everyone to bookmark. MNGopher posted multiple UOA's comparing 5W-40 & 5W-20 with his 4.6L F-150.

5W-40 vs. 5W-20 UOA Link

Anyone get the impression that way too much bandwidth is used up @ BITOG debating viscosity?
smile.gif

The manual in my 97 4.6 recommends 5w30. The previous owner ran 10w40 in it till I bought it at 93000 miles. I have since ran 5w20 and 5w30 in it and it now has 179000 miles on it and I am currently running 5w30 and it dosent burn but .5 to 1 quart between changes (which is well withen ford specs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back