5 different Subaru filter options - cut open pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=171767

note the B6Y1 mahle filter (on that page) has the same pressure ratings as the JEY0 mazda mahle filter I posted up a few weeks ago

the B6Y1 mazda filters are dimensionally the same as the AA100 tokyo roki subaru filters... mazda still sells the tokyo roki B6Y1 filters in asia, but the current US supply is using the mahle filters, which is what mazda europe uses also
I won't go further into the B6Y1 filters since it's obvious now it won't work right with a subaru even though it fits

I cut open a new Subaru OEM filter last night and I like it. The media is thick like the L14610 and the PH7317, has 47 pleats, and each pleat is deep like the Tokyo Roki, so there's plenty of media surface area and presumably better efficiency with the thicker media, and of course the correct bypass spec.

I suppose the comfort of knowing that Subaru will back up their product, should anything go wrong, is also good insurance
grin2.gif

And heck, it's Made in Canada!!
48.gif

Good report. See little need for pictures. I have always liked having an AC on my GM products.

As tough as it is sometimes to buy American, buyng Canadian must be worse. I won't fault you for doing it when you can.

Originally Posted By: labman
Good report. See little need for pictures.

What? No requests for pics?? haha

Well, here you go anyway:

of_pic%20044%20%28Large%29.jpg

of_pic%20045%20%28Large%29.jpg

of_pic%20048%20%28Large%29.jpg

of_pic%20051%20%28Large%29.jpg

of_pic%20056%20%28Large%29.jpg

Originally Posted By: Soobs
That's it... I'm buying a pipe cutter. haha

The pipe cutter has done an excellent job on the sub 3 inch filters. The cut is so clean and straight and takes less than a minute to open. Just remember to put only a small amount of pressure on the can, turn it for several rotations, then add a little more pressure, rotate several more times and eventually it just pops open
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
I cut open a new Subaru OEM filter last night and I like it. The media is thick like the L14610 and the PH7317, has 47 pleats, and each pleat is deep like the Tokyo Roki, so there's plenty of media surface area and presumably better efficiency with the thicker media, and of course the correct bypass spec.

I suppose the comfort of knowing that Subaru will back up their product, should anything go wrong, is also good insurance
grin2.gif

48.gif

Did you get that OEM filter at a Canadian Subaru dealer? My local guy has a white filter made in USA. Haven't opened it up yet.

Originally Posted By: Seguino

grin2.gif

48.gif

Did you get that OEM filter at a Canadian Subaru dealer? My local guy has a white filter made in USA. Haven't opened it up yet.

Yes, bought it at a local Subaru dealer. If it's a white can that's old stock. The white can was discontinued last year.

Originally Posted By: Seguino

grin2.gif

48.gif

Yes, bought it at a local Subaru dealer. If it's a white can that's old stock. The white can was discontinued last year.

Thanks. when I went he had white and blue so I got the white because they're bigger.

Don't let size of a filter fool you. You can have more media in a smaller can, and more media in a smaller space gives you a very strong filter IMHO.

I personally wouldn't use the white can. They discontinued it for a reason. I would return it for the new blue OEM.

Don't let size of a filter fool you. You can have more media in a smaller can, and more media in a smaller space gives you a very strong filter IMHO.

I personally wouldn't use the white can. They discontinued it for a reason. I would return it for the new blue OEM.

Only one white one left, and then it's blue for me. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll use the white one for can cutting practice!

HOw do you think, what is filtration efficiency of Subaru oil filters made by Tokyo Roky (15208AA130 and 15208AA160)?

Has anyone compared a Tokyo-Roki 15208AA170 vs a 15208AA100?

My inquiry here would apply to the STi and EJ257 (the regular WRX FA20 calls specifically for the 170).
I believe they are interchangeable for the EJ257 on the STi, with the 170 having a larger OD than the 100, but still fitting fine with plenty of clearance with factory exhaust.
I'm just wondering if pressure is the same.

Would like to see some opened up as well and verify if in fact the larger OD filter does have more filter area or not.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back