5.3 break in

Recently had a 5.3 rebuilt in my truck ran Amsoil break in oil after that switched to Rotella 15w40 with no issues. When should I switch to a conventional oil (have about 1500 miles on the Rotella?)

What do you mean by "conventional" exactly. You can just keep using 15w-40. I use 15w-40 in my 340k yukon and and 244k sierra both with all original metal inside. What type of lifters did you have installed.

Did the rebuilder give any info as their input?

Why conventional? Do you have concerns about synthetic being "too slippery"?

What is the temperature range there? am wondering if any xW40 is fine.

I assume it's a roller cam? The Rings seat in about a minute, so it's broken in..
Performance guys don't run the Engine on the Dyno for "X" amount of miles... They start it up and beat on it right away..
Run the oil you want..

Just drive it and let the engine get to operating temps before womping on the gas pedal hard. No voodoo needed,

I assume it's a roller cam? The Rings seat in about a minute, so it's broken in..
Performance guys don't run the Engine on the Dyno for "X" amount of miles... They start it up and beat on it right away..
Run the oil you want..
all LS motors are roller hydraulic lifters from the factory.

Run the oil you want..
They are also the most likely to blow up an engine so not sure it's a good way to judge next practice.

It's just like guys saying do long oil change intervals because the number of people with failed engines is not close to 100%. If you want around an auto auction yard you will realize it's also not near 0%

Back