2017 Mitsubishi Outlander 3.0L V6 ?

I've been on a search for a good SUV for the wife/family. I've been trying to find a good low mile Highlander but I don't live in a major city and it's been slim pickings.

However I'm seeing a few Mitsubishi Outlanders pop up, 2016-2017s are in our price range and my initial thoughts are that it seems like it checks the boxes.

My main concern is I want a solid drivetrain with a good track record and something I can service.

What is the BITOG consensus on these units?

Edit: I was surprised to see these appear to be made in Japan which is a good start in my books.

Friends had 3 of them...a 2011, 2015 (both 4 cyl.) and 2017 (6 cyl. GT with paddle shifter).
I did oil changes on all and a CVT fluid change on the 2011.
I have no recollection of GDI vs. MPFI but I didn't look either.

They were chronic car "trader-inners" but had no complaints with them. They all got great fuel mileage.

My relation sharpened my eye for them (as working on a car type/brand always does) and have noted that there are not many to be seen in No. New Jersey. However, we got the dealers here.

Someone intimated that a Mitsubishi dealership was cheaper to acquire due to lower demand and thus attracted a lower level of dealership owners. I don't know what to tell you.

I'd expect Mitsubishi to stay in the truck market and that supporting their automobiles would continue...but I have absolutely no data.

The newer ones have been facelifted with lots of chrome....they remind me of those horridly blinged up Chevy pickup trucks.
The rest appears to be the same.

Good luck with your search. What's your approximate location? What is your approximate budget for a vehicle?

I believe the 3.0 V6 in the Outlander has a timing belt whereas the 4 cylinder has a timing chain, so you may want to keep that in mind as many 2016-2017s with the V6 are probably getting close to needing that replaced.

I believe the 3.0 V6 in the Outlander has a timing belt whereas the 4 cylinder has a timing chain, so you may want to keep that in mind as many 2016-2017s with the V6 are probably getting close to needing that replaced.
60k miles on the one I’m looking at. At what point should one consider replacement?

60k miles on the one I’m looking at. At what point should one consider replacement?
100k for the older Mitsubishis, so probably like 120,000 miles. The Mitsubishis I've worked on are easy to do timing belts on but they're also older and rear wheel drive

The V-6 only comes in the 2017 Outlander with the GT trim, which also includes AWD. If that's important to you, the GT is a good buy. But Edmunds rates it below average overall and instead recommends the Kia Sorento.

The V-6 only comes in the 2017 Outlander with the GT trim, which also includes AWD. If that's important to you, the GT is a good buy. But Edmunds rates it below average overall and instead recommends the Kia Sorento.
Kias explode! I doubt Edmunds put 100k on the cars they tested, and longevity is one of the most important things a car can have. I don't care if I don't get rear a/c and 3 40 inch TVs in my car, id rather have a manual that's light, easy to work on, simple, and durable. I'll keep my manual headlights and no traction control, thank you very much.

Looking up the reveiw for my montero they basically say "we drove it and it was slow go buy something else if you want it to go uphill" which is true, you can't go 80 uphill without downshifting but it will go 80 uphill so it's fast enough to get you a ticket.

Kias explode! I doubt Edmunds put 100k on the cars they tested, and longevity is one of the most important things a car can have. I don't care if I don't get rear a/c and 3 40 inch TVs in my car, id rather have a manual that's light, easy to work on, simple, and durable. I'll keep my manual headlights and no traction control, thank you very much.

Looking up the reveiw for my montero they basically say "we drove it and it was slow go buy something else if you want it to go uphill" which is true, you can't go 80 uphill without downshifting but it will go 80 uphill so it's fast enough to get you a ticket.
Not picking a fight here, but AFAIK the only Kia's that "explode" are the older ones with 2.4L motors, not the V-6's in the 2017-20 Sorento's.

Not picking a fight here, but AFAIK the only Kia's that "explode" are the older ones with 2.4L motors, not the V-6's in the 2017-20 Sorento's.
The 2.4L were the worst offenders, closely followed by 2.0, 2.0T, and 1.6. 1.6T was a little better. 3.3/3.5/3.8 V6 are not without issues either, but there isn't a general rule for them, failures are definitely more Russian Roulette style: either runs for 250k miles, or is on 3rd engine and 5th auto transmission before warranty runs out. Always random reasons, but majority still seems to be a hole in the block at highway speeds. Not a gamble I want to bet my money on.
I do miss the Kia Borrego... A gentle ugly giant with a nice 4.6L V8.

I've been on a search for a good SUV for the wife/family. I've been trying to find a good low mile Highlander but I don't live in a major city and it's been slim pickings.

However I'm seeing a few Mitsubishi Outlanders pop up, 2016-2017s are in our price range and my initial thoughts are that it seems like it checks the boxes.

My main concern is I want a solid drivetrain with a good track record and something I can service.

What is the BITOG consensus on these units?

Edit: I was surprised to see these appear to be made in Japan which is a good start in my books.
Those Outlanders are great. V6 GT version is the way to go. Nothing fancy, but proven and reliable.

IMG_4376.jpeg

Can’t say I’m a fan of the looks but seems to be a good value.

Took it for a test drive today and had a good look over it.

Drives good and was comfortable for what it is. Has good features for the price like adaptive cruise and 360 cameras.

The car seemed like it didn’t have much of an interior detail, they only did the easy stuff. The head liner was dirty and it smells like someone smoked in it at one point. One wheel had curb rash and I found a decent scrap in one of the back door jams.

I got them down to 24,500 CAD out the door, down from 27,500 out the door and they agreeed to have it professionally detailed and ensured the headliner would get cleaned and the smell taken care of. The smell wasn’t terrible but my wife noticed it.

Not buying it today but it’s on my short list.

Edit: will need tires soon but they did put new pads and rotors all the way around.

They had service history also with consistent by the book service so that’s good.

I would be hesitant due to parts availability. The 3.0L was the only version of that Engine Mits made - and it hasn't been used in anything in USA since 2020 and only one other vehicle globally either. So its a white elephant.

The 2.0 is also a good engine but its bolted to a Jatco CVT - so no to that.

Mitsubishi makes excellent small cars. I don't think I would stray past those personally. To each their own.

Back