.40 or .45?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a dumb question: is it the .357 magnum round that is actually .38 or is it vice versa? Also, what is the caliber in inches of the 9mm round?

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Here's a dumb question: is it the .357 magnum round that is actually .38 or is it vice versa? Also, what is the caliber in inches of the 9mm round?

the .357 magnum is really a .38 special magnum. you can shoot .38 special rounds out of a .357 but not vice versa. many caliber names don't correspond to their actual size. for example a .22 is actually .24"

9mm is .355"

Never mind, I found an awesome website that explains all the popular cartridge sizes out there.

I'm lookin to purchase a .357; do you experts have any suggestions (it basically boils down to S&W or Ruger for revolvers these days)? I really want a 3 inch barrel but Smith no longer makes one, only Ruger. I really like the Smith 686s but they are rather large in the 4 inch barrel. I'm thinkin Ruger but many people still say go with a big frame smith. I really like the model 66 but too many people say the frames won't take constant magnums through them.

quote:

Here's a dumb question: is it the .357 magnum round that is actually .38 or is it vice versa?

Current .357 and 38 specials are both .357 bullets. In the early years the .38 diameter was the same as the bullet casing diameter. Much like the .22 rimfire is the width of the casing. Later they shrunk the bullet down to the diameter of the inside of the casing which is .357 but the bullet was still called a 38.

Later around 1935 the 357 magnum was created. The case was lengthened to prevent its fitting into 38 special cylinders which would prove dangerous as the 38's revolvers couldn't handle the higher pressures.

quote:

I'm lookin to purchase a .357; do you experts have any suggestions (it basically boils down to S&W or Ruger for revolvers these days)? I really like the Smith 686s but they are rather large in the 4 inch barrel. I'm thinkin Ruger but many people still say go with a big frame smith. I really like the model 66 but too many people say the frames won't take constant magnums through them.

The Rugers can benefit from a wolf spring 8.5 lb as their double action pull is very high. The downside is they can't be given a very good trigger job like the old 66's can. I don't know if the 686 can be made to function as well as the 66.

The best trigger pulls in order of best to worst on 357 guns I have fired are.

Korth-Beeman Factory pull beats all tricked out guns I have fired. I believe it is adjustable Price at the time $4500

Smith 66 with a nice trigger job. Smooth like the Colt Python but without the heavy letoff at the end of the pull.

Cold Python Nice trigger in spite of the heavy letoff at the end of the pull.

Ruger Gp Very heavy trigger pull which can be made lighter with the Wolff kit but the quality of the pull can't be made much better.

All the above will serve as excellent duty sidearms.

I have a Gp100 in 4" stainless which can take some very heavy handloads. 19.1 grs AA#9 over a 125 SJHP.

For years the Remington 125 SJHP was the hottest factory round and accounted for most of those 1 shot stops. 1450 fps out of a 4 inch barrel.

The .357 Sig automatic duplicates these ballistics out of a 4 inch barrel.

For self defense I load 2 glaser silvers followed by 135gr Corbons in .40 S&W. I usually only load 3 Corbons and follow them with 150gr or 155gr bullets. The glock feeds all bullet weights equally well.

Comfort is a often overlooked factor. Not every gun is confortable in every person's hand. I have not met many people that think 1911's are uncomfortable. Most like the fit of a 1911 in their hand.

Find a gun that is made in both calibers and shoot them back to back. Feel the difference in recoil. Try a double tap, and check your follow up shot accuracy. This test only works if the guns are the same.

Here is my un-scientific test with both calibers...

At a company sponsored shoot (I used to work for a hunting company) I shot a Baby Dessert Eagle in .40 and .45 back to back and the recoil difference was incredicle. The .40 had a significant amount more recoil and it was "snappy". Where the .45 kinda just rolled. Granted the guns aren't identical. The .45 is alittle more substantial, but not by much. In my opinion in my non-scientific test the .40 had more recoil than the .45.

Personally I'm a .45 man. LAPD SWAT uses Kimber 1911s. You want say 1911 don't carry enough rounds. LAPD SWAT could carry anything they want. And you know they use them in real life threatening situations. Stopping power and shot placement/accuracy.

An overlooked gun here is the original Browning Hi Power automatic in 40 cal. Single action only with a good feel in most hands.

It was next on my list of 40 cals to purchase.

I also liked the Daewoo's triple action as being unique and functional.

I have a Glock 20 10mm and a Glock 31 .357Sig. The G31 is a bit smaller than the G20, but I prefer the extra power of the 10mm. Both are are fine pistols, and will serve well for self-defense. As for ammo cost, shop online and you will get the best deals.

Do you guys have any experience with Taurus firearms? I've been reading some message boards as of late and the vast majority of folks think they are a great gun now. I remember them from the past as being pretty rudimentary and cheap.

Now that the stupid magazine capacity ban is lifted I'm still considering a semi-auto pistol. The main purpose for the gun will be home defense coupled with light duty outdoor protection. I know, the .357 against a bear is like bringing a knife to a gunfight but it's better than being empty handed i guess. The 10mm is caught my eye for this reason, especially glocks 10mm models. They're just freakin expensive to shoot though! .357 sig: how would that compare to the lineup I've mentioned? They are slightly cheaper for amunition but not my much compared to the 10, which far and away has the most semi-auto power.
dunno.gif
Guess I could just get a 454 Casul and call it done
lol.gif

Regarding .357's and .38 S's, the best wheelguns I have ever had were the S&W Model 19 and my current S&W 586. The 586/686 series are very accurate and trigger work can be done to make them very smooth with light pulls and reliable firing.

If you can find a good Model 19 in .38 S, then hang on to it. Tight and reliable with plenty of accuracy.

I'll second the 586. I picked one up as a 'large bore' gun as the typical .45 was a lot more expensive and still needed quite a bit of work to get it to shoot accurately. The 586 also seemed more versatile as you saw .357s used in more events than the .45. A good bullseye shooter who shot on a military team asked to try mine out once, I was shooting handloaded wadcutters, and he ended with 4 rounds touching with 1 round about 1 caliber from the rest of the group shooting with a timed fire cadence. I was impressed as it was a lot better than I could do.

I cut my teeth on the old S&W model 15 .38 Special when I was in the Air Force. Started carrying a model 66 (stainless version of the 19) when I was hired by the ISP.I really like the old revolvers. I think a whole generation has missed out on a lot. My favorite of all time was a heavy barrel model 10. Fixed sights would put a 158 grain semiwadcutter right where you wanted it every time.Traded it for one of those confangled new 9MM's that was all the rage.Kinda miss that old gun.Still have my original model 66 and a 6.5 inch commemerative version I bought in 1983 on the departments 50th anniversary. It's never been fired.

If you want a wonderfully accurate .45 at a decent price, get the CZ-97B. It's the pistol I use when I want to impress folks with my "skill"--the CZ does all the work!

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
I cut my teeth on the old S&W model 15 .38 Special when I was in the Air Force.

The first handgun i ever shot was a Model 15 courtesy of the Air Force back in 74...GAWD, that was over 30's years ago...i am OLD...

It hooked me on handguns and i have a pretty good array of them...even a model 15, blued, TT, TH, TS...just like the one i carried...

darrell
sin city

quote:

Originally posted by LVHospiceRN:

quote:

The first handgun i ever shot was a Model 15 courtesy of the Air Force back in 74...GAWD, that was over 30's years ago...i am OLD...

It hooked me on handguns and i have a pretty good array of them...even a model 15, blued, TT, TH, TS...just like the one i carried...

darrell
sin city

Wow. I was at Lackland for basic training in September 1974.T/Sgt Potemka.Still remember him. Graduated from Security Police school in December 1974.When where you there?

quote:

Originally posted by LVHospiceRN:

quote:

darrell
sin city

You kids! I went to Amarillo in June of 66 because Lackland was closed due to Spinal Menegitis I believe.

[/qb][/QUOTE]I think the main benefit of a 9mm round is that it is a standard NATO round and is widely used, so they'll be easy to find if a soldier is in a tough situation overseas and needs to get ammunition from a local source.
cheers.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]

If a soldier is in combat and has to rely on his 9mm handgun, he is ALREADY in a tough situation...

darrell
sin city

I doubt you can go wrong either way! I have never used either in a gun fight so it all theory at this point. I think that both offer a wide selection of hand guns and amunition! It hink I would look for a handgun that felt good, had excellent reliabitlity and fit my needs. Then after that I would decide what caliper. Truly shot placement and quick recovery are more inportant then terminal ballistics at handgun ranges in selfdefense! Even the lowly .380 can be really effective with all of the controlled expansion rounds adn +P and +P+ loads out their. If you hand load then the possabilitys open up even more! The somewhat new "Power Ball" ammo makes a hollow point practical for picking handguns that prefered hard ball!

I generaly do not like handguns with grip safteys or magazine box saftey's for home defense.If you get one with these youwill probably want to remove it or defeat it! I think most people do not practice enough and these items are just one more thing to get in their way!

Hollow Points and Frangables also make heavy hitting cartridges that might be prone to over penatrate with a SWC or solids and FMC practicle for home deffense!Just about any cartridge fired close to PB is going to over penatrate unless it hits bone!

The classic wheel gun round like 357,38 SPL,44 Mag, 44 LC are all still great choices! The 40 S&W,45 ACP, 357 Sig are also great performers. If you hand load any of these can easily be loaded with a heavy bullet to sub sonic velocitys. A 310 gr. 44 Mag loaded to sub sonic velocitys will give excellent control, quick recovery, low flash, reduce over penatration and will stop anything on two feet not in body armor!

drew,taurus revolvers are great.i've had 2 taurus semi autos and the jammed. i sent one back,they fixed it but i could never trust their semi autos.it's a shame because i really like their 24-7 semis they just came out with.they have excellent customer service.they make a 8-shot .357 mag revolver i want.
i have a springreild xd-40 that shoots great.i just purchased a para pard-nance p-13 .45 .can't wait to shoot it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back