Glock 40 caliber, should I keep?

After the depth of the 2012-2014 ammo shortage*, I vowed that I would never be caught without a decent buffer. When ammo became available again, and prices dropped in 2016, I started buying.

*2012-2014 was a truly remarkable time. Nothing in stock. Everything sold out in minutes, seconds in some cases. People would camp outside their local Walmart, for the arrival of the truck on the day they got ammo. Some neckbeards would buy the limit on .22 and sell it (for double what they paid minutes ago) to those at the end of the line who didn’t get any.

I became a huge fan of MidwayUSA during that time. They limited purchases to 5 boxes/customer, at NORMAL prices, first come first served. They often sold out in seconds, but at least they were fair with their customers, where my local stores raised prices to crazy levels.

I know one guy who started selling his stash of Magpul magazines for $100, to those who were panicked about uncertain times. He reckoned there wouldn’t be any significant changes to the law, and he was right, but he had no problem selling magazines for about 10 times what he paid. Just one example, of millions, of ugly profiteering during those couple of years.
That nonsense back then was one of the contributing factors that led me to start consolidating guns and calibers. I got rid of all the exotic calibers and Gucci guns and never looked back.

That nonsense back then was one of the contributing factors that led me to start consolidating guns and calibers. I got rid of all the exotic calibers and Gucci guns and never looked back.
Ironically, that’s when I began collecting the Gucci guns and calibers! 😂

For example, no 9 mm in stock at a local store. But they had 1000 rounds of .38 super for about $350.

“Hey“ I said, I’ll take that case of 38. The salesman looks at me and goes. “This is a very odd caliber. It doesn’t work in 38 special”. I replied, “I know, I’m gonna shoot it in my Colt competition model 1911 that’s chambered in 38 super.”

Ironically, that’s when I began collecting the Gucci guns and calibers! 😂

For example, no 9 mm in stock at a local store. But they had 1000 rounds of .38 super for about $350.

“Hey“ I said, I’ll take that case of 38. The salesman looks at me and goes. “This is a very odd caliber. It doesn’t work in 38 special”. I replied, “I know, I’m gonna shoot it in my Colt competition model 1911 that’s chambered in 38 super.”
Yeah, I can see that. I went the if I have a lot more of one thing I can ride it out without having to replenish route

As often as I get to the range nowadays, if I never buy ammo again I'm going to run out of heartbeats before I run out of bullets. Except 38 Special. I need some more of that.

Thanks for that. I shoot 1000's of rounds a year. SGAmmo, was .90$ per round in 2021-22.

Where do you buy yours from?
Here in Northern Utah, 9mm peaked at around $23 - $24 for a 50 round box. Of course that was for the price leader ammo, which was changed from shipment to shipment, between Magtech, PMC, Blazer, Fiochi, Federal green box or red box. You could always spend more.

I have always bought my ammo at local sporting goods stores, so I'm kind of out of touch with the prices available online.

Back