.357 and .38 ammo deceptively close in size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: redbone3
Reporters have prove their firearms incompetency before any major network will hire them.

That's me. I have no idea what is the difference between .357 and .38 you guys talking about. By the numbers, they're not the same.

By the way, we don't have any gun, real or toy, in our house. Never needed one and probably never will. But my BIL have several guns, he went to shooting ranges once or twice a month.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

That's me. I have no idea what is the difference between .357 and .38 you guys talking about. By the numbers, they're not the same.

The .357 and the 38 special have the same bullet diameter. The 357 has a longer case and more powder behind it.

Reporters have prove their firearms incompetency before any major network will hire them.

And bias in most cases today.

A good one redbone3!

By the way, we don't have any gun, real or toy, in our house. Never needed one and probably never will. But my BIL have several guns, he went to shooting ranges once or twice a month.

.357 is a more powerful load with a greater powder charge, making it hit harder and stop whatever you're trying to hit substantially better than a .38 special. Think of it like a brick in a slingshot vs throwing a rock with your hand. They are both the similar casings, but different ammunition altogether. That's why you'll see them used synonymously, most revolvers are chambered in 357 Magnum and will use the .357 round but can also shoot .38 special, since the .38 special is slightly shorter in length. But a .38 special revolver will not fire a .357 round because the .357 round is a slightly longer case that won't sit in the shorter cylinder of the .38 special only revolvers.

So a 357 Magnum Revolver will fire both 357 and .38 Spl
A .38 Spl Revolver will fire ONLY .38 Spl. and NOT 357. Likely the case here.

Clear as mud?

The 357 magnum was developed from the 38 Special, which is an older cartridge. The 38 Special case was lengthened slightly to allow for a more powerful powder charge to be packed in the casing. Essentially the 357 is a supercharged 38 Special. But being longer, the 357 will not chamber in a 38 special revolver, however the shorter 38 special will chamber and fire in a 357 chambered gun.

The same can be done for the 44 magnum revolvers. You can fire the older 44 Special rounds through those also safely, but you cannot fire a 44mag in a gun chambered in the shorter and weaker 44 special guns.

My first thought is who grabs an empty gun, but then I guess that would be the same person who tries to force a round in said gun with a pocket knife.

That's me. I have no idea what is the difference between .357 and .38 you guys talking about.

There's a difference between not-knowing and making a point of pride out of the not-knowing.

Reporters and other left-wingers make their firearms ignorance a point of pride, which is why they make so many mistakes. It's as though they would betray their leftist tribe if they admitted any gun knowledge.

I think in the .50BMG story (at least in one of the many stories) the round itself was being used as a hammer....hammering in an assembly pin.

However, hammering any round with any object is stupid and as the old saying goes "you can't fix stupid".

I'm rather shocked we didn't hear the word "clip" thrown into the story for good measure, despite it being a revolver.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
I'm rather shocked we didn't hear the word "clip" thrown into the story for good measure, despite it being a revolver.

Well in a way a speedloader is kind of like an old rifle "clip" But yeah, the news often gets it sooo wrong on terminology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back